Wowpedia (and MMO-Champion) purchased by Fandom (WoWWiki)

In case y’all missed it - our beloved Wowpedia (and MMO-Champion) have unfortunately been purchased by Fandom - the owners of WoWWiki.

Ongoing thread here in the Lore Forum: The Future of Wowpedia

Wowpedia was formed in late 2010 after several admins left WoWWiki when Wikia (the engine wowwiki uses) changed their pages to fixed enforced layouts in order to display more advertisements.

Because of this, WoWWiki itself has been almost entirely abandoned, and many articles on that wiki are either several years outdated, missing, or vandalized.

Unfortunately, the same fate may befall Wowpedia if it is merged or converted to Fandom’s Wikia engine.

I really wish Blizzard would host it instead, or make their own actual wiki since the forums now support wikicode.

More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/a5lpdo/fandom_acquires_curse_media_from_twitchtv/?ref=readnext

4 Likes

rip Wowpedia. That’s really unfortunate, I remember when that split happened and was glad for it.

2 Likes

This is very unfortunate but I’m holding out for the best. Gamepedia mods seem very open to discussion and feedback.

3 Likes