Wow won't update

The WOW retail update gets stuck at 55% in the initialization phase and gives an error message that a file can’t be accessed. I have tried scan and repair, restarting the computer, but am reluctant to uninstall and reinstall the program since others are having similar issues and it hasn’t worked for them. Since the update won’t complete, I cannot play the game.

3 Likes

You’d be better off posting in the tech support forum.

I thought I was, hehe

I’ve had the same error - and this is what worked for me (after everything else didn’t).

Close the battle.net client and go into System Settings > Privacy & Security > App Management. Under “Allow the applications below to update or delete other applications” make sure the radial button for battle.net is selected.

Now my Mac just says “Agent” not “battle.net” or whatever - but it’s the icon. As soon as I made the change - which in my case required the admin password - I restarted the battle.net client and the patch was downloaded within seconds.

I had been stuck at 67% for over a day. Finally playing again and so glad I don’t have to go out and buy a new computer hahaha

::edit:: I switched avatars without thinking. Deformis = Heypete. Apologies for the confusion

10 Likes

BOOM! That worked for me. (I’d been stuck at 70%, too)

2 Likes

Thanks. I will try it.

1 Like

It worked!!! I can’t thank you enough Deformis!

2 Likes

Hooray! So glad I could help. :slight_smile: Also - changed my avatar and didn’t realize it would prob cause confusion.

Are you running Ventura? Seems in Monterey not have the “App Management” .

At this point, I have to full uninstall and install every time login. Sheesh, I wonder if the game is unplayable without a post 2015 iMac (to run Ventura). Been playing since first day of WOW (and even before in WarCraft), and kinda hate to lose it.

Yeah I am running Ventura - that’s interesting though. Did you try drilling down into some of the other areas? within privacy and security? I had to play around with it until I found the fix.

Before I figured it out I was trying to look at the client using root permissions and wound up not accomplishing anything. Randomly I got a Mac notification that the client did not have privacy and security permission - but the rest of the notification was cut off and I couldn’t find it in the Notification Center.

I say all of that because I do think this is a bug on Blizzard’s end and it has something to do with a privacy trigger that’s causing our computers not to grant update and delete access.

I had this issue as well, and this fix worked but I had to use a different external SSD and enable sharing.

1 Like

1 million internet points for you. nothing was working for me until I checked this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 Like

This worked for me too! Nothing else seemed to fix it. Thank you!

You, friend, are my hero! It’s a bit strange that I didn’t have this issues sooner but this fixed it and just in time for a business trip :smiley:

Thanks Still helped me today