Wow Won't Launch

Can’t launch Wow (retail).

Fresh install of WoW - clicking ‘play’ on battle.net app - game won’t ‘launch’ successfully.

WoW is listed as a ‘running’ process in task manager, but there is no game window/can’t see anything.

I have run through basic troubleshooting already (i.e. updated drivers, verify game files, disabled unecessary background apps, run as admin, confirmed no hardware issues, reinstalled WoW [twice]).

I have a suspicion that Sophos antivirus is causing the problem (I can’t add a local exception; I’m not the admin), but I have no way to confirm that and it’s driving me nuts (haven’t been able to launch WoW since February).

I have never had to go this far to fix an issue before, so forgive me if I’m missing some imortant peice of information. Please help!

1 Like

It was a big issue in the past.

Thank you - yep, am aware that it was a big issue. I had a few replies in that thread. Unforuntately, the issue is persistant for me.

I am seeking some assistance in confirming that this is the source of my issue so that I can continue troubleshooting.

I thought it was confirmed in the thread by the person I quoted.

I should clarify; I am looking for someone to help me confirm the source of my problem. I suspect it is the Sophos issue, but I am not certain.

I am looking (and would be very grateful) for help with running through the steps on my machine to locate the source of the issue (if that is possible). Logs, diagnostics, etc.

Well, you have to include your diagnostic files here for someone to look at them. Usually Pastebin is the way to go.

1 Like

Ok. Are you able to provide me some guidance on how to run these diagnostics, please? I am a complete rookie, sorry!

I think I mentioned earlier that I haven’t had to do this level of troubleshooting before, so I apologise if what I’m asking for has a really obvious solution.

Click here to show/hide DxDiag instructions
  1. Press Windows Key + R, then type DxDiag and press Enter.
  2. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  3. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can post it on Pastebin.com and provide the hash code (the numbers/letters after the .com) in your reply.

Please note that there is no guarantee what’s causing your issue will be apparent from a DxDiag and you may need to do more investigating on your own or speak with a PC technician.

Thanks Elocin. Here’s the pastebin hashcode:
8cwxiv1V

The primary video driver shown is DisplayLink USB Device.

If you’re connected to a dock or a monitor via usb, I’d try disconnecting that and starting wow.

Displaylink can’t do accelerated graphics, so that showing as the primary could stop wow from starting.

3 Likes

Zungar is correct. All errors in the report also point to this as a problem.

Thanks guys - issue still persists. I tried just as you said, Zungar. Unplugged my laptop from the docking device and hit ‘Play’. Same issue. WoW showing up as process that’s running, but no window, sound or any other evidence the game is ‘running’.

Reset the graphics settings through Bnet. It’s likely still stuck trying to display on a device you unplugged.

Check. Still not starting - same behaviour. I’ve also taken steps to (attempt) to make my NVIDA card the primary display adapter.

It may be worth noting that all other games run fine on my machine, apart rom WoW and D4 that both do the same thing when launched from Bnet - take up space as a running ‘process’ but never launch in a window where I can play.

Run an MSInfo, export it, review the Error Reporting section at the bottom. Maybe another app is interfering.

My problem is finally fixed, and I can play World of Warcraft again after five months.

I got tired of these ongoing issues, so I did a clean install and left out Sophos antivirus. I also made sure the right display adapters were being used and the game has launched.

I really appreciate all your patience and help with this.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming it’s still a problem.

1 Like

I had the same problem, but I dont have Sophos, I use Karpersky. I tried the option on the Battlenet for Scan and Repair, it did a 100% Scan on the game files, updated once more and then worked fine.

Just letting other people know another option to try.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.