WoW vs WoW Classic Population numbers

The numbers from various census sites are coming in and all seem to be in agreement that WoW Classic has more active players than WoW Retail.

As a Retail player, does this concern you, or do you think this will flip once the newness of Classic wears off and Dragonflight launches?

Also, considering the possibility that Classic will have numbers comparable to Retail, how will this affect the future of WoW? Is Classic+ as many, including me, would love coming? Or will we simply see Cataclysm Classic next?

Retail: Currently tail end of expansion. Nothing new happening except for those who only recently decided to dip their toes in again for a bit (such as myself.)

Classic: Decade+ old game that most of the current player base likely never played. New (to them) way to play WoW at no extra cost t their current subscription.

So far I think everything is going exactly as intended.

12 Likes

Those classic numbers will drop 95% within 2 weeks.

Just like when classic came out and had huge queues, and a month later they were begging for server mergers.

6 Likes

Does not concern me. If I didn’t have like 120 days played in Wrath I would be playing it too. It’s also the same sub, so it doesn’t matter to Blizzard anyway.

It is so hard to believe that people are playing classic until dragonflight comes out? I mean, retail is dead until the next expansion. Everyone knows this.

1 Like

Oh, and how did they get these numbers since there is no api for it anymore nor can you get it in game.

Nope, since they are made up numbers :rofl:

3 Likes

This is by design, so not concerning at all.

That was expected. New expansions are popular during launch and first few months of patch. But only if the update brings something cool.

How is this a fair comparison ?

Retail is at the end of an expansion(arguably the worst one) and Classic has launched the most successful expansion in the history of WoW.

1 Like

Very very concerned!!!

…and did you hear?.. the sky is falling too!

1 Like
1 Like

Classic and Classic TBC had like a 80-90% dropoff.

2 Likes

there are 3 types of people playing classic:

1. people that missed it when current and want to see what the fuss was all about.

2. people that played it when it was current and awesome and they are trying to relive it hoping to get that same experience. but they wont.

3. people that are hard knocking retail on a daily basis because their accounts have nothing. they either werent playing for all the og rewards back in the day or werent good enough to get them. so now they are spamming classic to get all these old rewards because they are easy to get now with the hopes that classic will turn into retail and they will have a stacked account and feel like an og in their head.

bringing back the game via classic servers is a bad idea. its like starting and opening a restaurant and then standing outside with a sign telling people not to eat there.

the additional time and effort it took with all these classic releases they could of added mini patches to retail. they could of used those resources to add additional objectives, achievements, mounts, etc… and so on.

they could of even bumped up the ilvl of gear rewards for open world players. made each SL zone relevant again by making each zone fated that matched up with whatever raid was fated for the week. it would of made the maw, korthia, zereth mortis and hell even all 4 of the basic SL zones relevant again and full.

honestly as the wife said. she feels like blizzard is purposely trying to sabotage wow for other, smaller, more profitable games.

2 Likes

Yeah, ready to swipe that card to fund their GDKPs so they could be the guy they never were back in the day. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

3 Likes
  1. People who want to have fun until shadowlands ends

Classic has been around for over 3 years.

I don’t see classic anything as new,never will,it’s just as rehased as retail.

I did my time in all of the classic variations when they were current og content.

No concern at all.

Turns out retails population has fumbled into being comparable to the side project classic