Wow retail: what is difference between minimum vs recommended specs

Hello:
I am wanting to buy a new computer to play retail wow. When I looked up what computer I want to buy, it says it meets “minimum” specs to play, but not “recommended” specs. Does anyone know what the difference between those actually means in more detail? Does that only mean I have to turn settings down on everything and pray it works, or does it mean I possibly can’t even function in what I’d like to do? I was wanting to get new computer to play more mythics and possibly raiding. Thanks.

It’s the same as what those terms have always meant.

Minimum means that this is what’s required to actually run the game. Often it’s actually a higher spec than what’s necessary, but boosted due to what vendors have dropped support for. The actual experience you’ll get is a bit of a question mark, but you will at least get something.

Recommended is, ideally, what you would require to get at least a decent in-game experience. In theory this is what someone actually working on the game has determined through play-testing. While their idea of “playable” and yours may not necessarily align, you should probably aim for something at least this powerful if you want to participate in group content.

1 Like

I agree with you and think this was well said. I’m still looking right now. I hope I can find one that isn’t just minimum, but have a lot to factor in. So, we’ll see how it goes later. Thank you! I’m satisfied with this answer.

My 6 year old computer still plays fine with good graphics, but i did add an ssd drive a few years ago which was a huge help.

1 Like

That’s something that will depend on how high end you went 6 years ago.

To use an extreme example, the GTX 1080 Ti has aged much better than the GT 1030, and the 2 cards were released about 2 months apart back in 2017.

This is one of the most important things right here. Using a regular hard drive will cause you to have long load screens. getting an SSD? Instant loading.

1 Like