WoW & Linux - Mouse/Keyboard Failing to Register Clicks

I know Linux isn’t officially supported so I don’t expect a solid answer, but I figured I’d ask here and see if anyone else running Linux has experienced the same issue.

Basically, my keyboard and mouse cut out while I’m playing. Not completely, but it will often fail to register key presses. It seems to happen more often the more keys I’m holding down, but occasionally will happen on the first key press too. So for example, when I’m holding down W, D, and right click, and then go to press a number on my mouse to cast a spell, or press tab on the keyboard to target something, it doesn’t go through sometimes (quite often). And it’s not every time, but it’s far too often to be usable for PvP and annoying enough to not be able to enjoy questing.

• I’m using a Razer Huntsman Elite keyboard and a Razer Naga Trinity mouse, but I’ve tried other keyboards and mouses and it still does the same thing.
  • I have OpenRazer and Polychromatic installed. (was experiencing the issue prior to installation).
  • It does not happen while I’m surfing the web, typing documents, or playing Rocket League (which is a native Linux game for now).
  • I have only experienced this issue in WoW, and I’m not running any other non-native games at the moment.
  • I have tried different USB ports.

Hi.

I’m also having this issue on Pop!_OS 19.10 with a Razer keyboard when running the game via Lutris. I haven’t tried installing any of the additional software, but it sounds like that hasn’t worked for OP.

This is the only game I’ve had this issue with so far and I haven’t had a lot of luck finding a solution. I’ll be sure to update here if I do come across one.

I’m sure the OP and I both would appreciate any input anyone might have, if OP hasn’t found a solution already.

I have no such issues:

Opensuse 15.1

Stock nvidia drivers it installs (from the nvidia repository.)

No “Lutris” or any such configuring third party stuff.

I have normally used Gnome, but logout and go into DWM for Wow; On my aged computer I get a good FPS boot from DWM, since it is so “thin.” Gnome seemed to be doing a lot of stuff, including using lots of system memory (even with indexing and everything turned off.)

Stock wine staging 4.4-lp151.615.6 x64 (wants to install 5.7-lp151.1155.1, but that causes the game to lock when my character loads), no Lutris, G213 prodigy keyboard and razer deathadder mouse.

I have no special razer/mouse software/keyboard software or anything installed.

Found something about a person having that problem with 19.10 (I assume the OS the second poster mentions? Weird that the OP doesn’t mention things like which Linux OS.)

https://forums.lutris.net/t/world-of-warcraft-bfa-keyboard-keystroke-problem/7490

I have this exact same problem with 19.10 too, if I downgrade to 19.04 using Timeshift the problem goes away. I’ve also tried a different distro (Fedora 31) and the problem exists there too.

Other mentions of people with the problem there, some mentioning Lutris too.

1 Like

Hey, alright! Thank you for that link, it has a ton of useful information in it.

After a quick test here, enabling the “Lock Cursor to Window” option in Interface -> Mouse appears to have fixed it. I’ll do a little more playing, but that’s a relatively easy fix if it sticks.

For posterity, disabling the Slow Keys or Repeat Keys feature in your OS settings appears to have fixed this kind of issue for many other people that are running on a Ubuntu/Debian based distros.

I believe that Linux Mint.

Sorry I completely forgot this existed because I checked back a couple times and nobody had replied, and then I figured it out and didn’t get any notifications on replies for some reason. Here’s what I found worked for me, which I posted on Ubuntu’s forums but didn’t post here because I wasn’t aware anyone actually read it.

After trying a couple games in Steam (Proton) and not having any issues, I decided to check Lutris and Wine forums and see if i could find anything. Well, Wine wouldn’t let me do a search on their forum for some reason, so I went to Lutris instead.

I went to the World of Wacraft page on the Lutris website and did a ctrl+f for “keyboard”. Luckily, the very last post on the page had someone with the same problem as me (though a slightly different description). He said the ge-protonified runner works perfectly.

So I went to select that as my Wine version, but it wasn’t present. I couldn’t remember how to install more runners, so I did a couple more hours of searching and eventually found it on the EA forums in a post for mouse clicks not working in Mass Effect. Probably would have been much faster if I would have searched for how to install runners instead of specifically how to install ge-protonified.

Went back into Lutris. Selected ge-protonified as my Wine version. Booted up WoW. And it seems to be working perfectly now.

For some reason it made me remove the links in order to be able to post here, so you’ll have to do some searching. But this is how I fixed it.