WoW in China

This is an issue that wowhead made a post about based on a reddit post:

The thing that really stood out to me and that bothers me is that any business doing business in China has to give their IP to a Chinese company to run and control for them in China.

China mandates that only Chinese businesses run in China but the rest of the world allows Chinese business to do whatever they want.

Why do we do this?

11 Likes

Pretty vast question for a bunch of people on video game forums.

I can’t wait for the “experts“ to come crawling out though.

11 Likes

Because they (blizzard) gets a peice of the income with out nearly the coast of running the servers in China win win for blizzard…

If you want to make money off the Chinese you follow their business rules.

4 Likes

22 Likes

Money.
It’s called selling out.
Lot of US companies do this.
And it seems a lot of people don’t care like with the heartstone ban situation, they just want to play video games and who am I to blame them?

2 Likes

ahem :face_with_monocle:

Generally it’s capital driven incentives.

Edit: What Unian said… money

1 Like

So we don’t have no experience with China?

I guess me living over there for 5 years and helping get a company up and running so the Chinese middle man can take over is not good enough?

1 Like

Because it’s similar to the reality of life:

In a school one kid sets boundaries and reacts harshly to others stepping outside his rules.

Another kid is more flexible and often forgives people even if they cross lines.

Which kid is going to have more respect? You are delusional if you think it’s the latter.

This is how even adults work.

2 Likes

Money. China has convinced business that if we let them steal our IP’s, censor our products, and control everything, they can still make a little money with the promise of much more in the future.

1 Like

It’s pretty stupid imo.

OK… let them do whatever in their own country but then we turn around and let them operate unrestricted in ours?

1 Like

I don’t think business owners here are experts on politics here either.

This is changing. We’re getting tired of China stealing everything and starting to restrict their distribution of 5G, networking equipment, and even pushing back against Tic Toc.

3 Likes

Because we are stupid.

2 Likes

There’s zero chance of that happening unless countries can replicate the amount of work put in by Chinese workers which is…startling.

Removing them just introduces a vacuum which will begin the problem unless people fill it. Who will fill it? The first world countries? No chance.

Taiwan, Vietnam, Philippines… etc

1 Like

So we begin the process all over again. In before we create a thread in the future trying to stop the new China from “taking” over.

The root cause is that people are lazy enough to outsource stuff and China basically dominates because of cheap labor workers.

Can you imagine the riots in a place like the US for example if everyone was told let’s not depend on China but become China?

Say goodbye to your “employee rights”.

Pick the nuke general and make sure to research neutron shells so you can destroy vehicles while keeping your feng shui intact.

It’s starting to all be it at a very slow Pace, Vietnam is starting to pick things up… Old company wanted me to help over there to get a company up and running like me and some others did in China…

But aren’t we just shifting the problem into a different place than solving it?

Eventually something will happen and the trade relations will be friendly again in a random occurence and they will have it back.