WoW has over 100,000,000 lifetime players, ESO has 13,000,000 lifetime players. NOT active player count!

The issue is people don’t understand the term “Lifetime Player.”

The recent news, I’m sure a lot of you have heard, is that ESO reached 13 million LIFETIME players. That is correct. As reported by USG, the source of the news from Zenimax on ESO’s LIFETIME player count has reached 13 million.

Here is a Polygon article from 2014 on WoW’s 100,000,000 lifetime player count.

To say the phrase “ESO has 13 million players” is literally like saying “WoW has 100 million players.”

What people keep missing is the point of the phrase “Lifetime user/player.” WoW and ESO neither have 13 million active users currently. Ion admitted that BFA isn’t as bad as WoD, which dipped to around 4 million, but he was aware that the numbers are small comparatively speaking. 4 million for an mmo? That still puts WoW as the number one spot.

Active Player count for both games are actually not know. Get it straight. ESO does not have 13 million active players. NOTHING reported that at all. Lifetime users are a measurement of pride for any game. Think through the eyes of the developer. Good for ESO reach 13 million in 2019. WoW hit 100 million back in 2014. The truth hurts.

Argument is over. The semantic/terminology wars are over.

43 Likes

Begun, the terminology wars have.
/Yoda

31 Likes

Most likely they’ve just started… Lets see the ESO fans pop in here and try to say “ESO is better than WoW.”

WoW will always be number one and it always has been number one.

The numbers don’t lie.

7 Likes

I wish. As long as there are douchers on the forum, this crap will continue.

5 Likes

Yeah, I wish these doomsayers would get somewhere with their nonsense. World of Warcraft is doing amazing right now.

5 Likes

Yep. WoW is still the top MMO and I know BFA is in a low point, but its a content drought. With Classic coming millions of new players will try out both Classic and BFA.

Things should only go uphill for Blizzard at this point.

4 Likes

Agreed. Literally tens of millions of players are still enjoying the game.

Agreed. Classic will bring back at least 15 million.

10 Likes

I feel like this is going to be a fun thread.

Yay for Sundays!

5 Likes

Make sure to keep your :popcorn: close. :joy:

4 Likes

No one in their right mind ever actually thought ESO was bigger than WoW OP.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

24 Likes

:rofl:strong text

1 Like

I have no idea where you are on. But let me have some.

8 Likes

WoW hasn’t seen over ten million players since the start of WoD. Tens of millions currently playing? I highly doubt it. WoW’s population is most likely more than ESO, but you’re delusional if you think BFA has more players than Wotlk.

19 Likes

Those 100 mill; where are they now?

‘Truth’ as in ‘over 95 million if that 100M have left this game’.
gonna sling numbers then lets have e’m all!

16 Likes

As much as I love this game…

3 Likes

The same thing was happening with FF14, but those people wouldn’t understand it no matter how much you explained it either.

People are desperate for anything they can use to tear down WoW, even if it’s blatantly dishonest.

5 Likes

Plus that was back in 2014

2 Likes

Well there’s the flaw… I wouldn’t consider some of us to be in our right mind. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s not, actually. As the entire point of that headline was the reason behind it.

ESO has gone up 2.5 million players in the last 12 months. So much so that their servers are lagging and can’t keep up with the influx of players.

How many of those are wow refugees? A majority, if you ask the ESO community.

The point, dear sunday OP, is that ESO is doing really well for itself, and moving forward full speed. While wow, isn’t.

15 Likes