Wow Has Lost It's Eden. Gone is the Dungeon Crawl

Addons = oh look mommy and daddy I can ride my bike all by myself. See I am a big kid now. Junior here forgot about the training wheels still attached to the bike. lol

I miss it and I don’t.

It was fun back then because everything felt - and was - fresh and exciting. Rare loot was rare and epic drops even more so, so the incentive to run multi-hour dungeons was there.

But it was also harder to find groups without LFD and, like now, there was no guarantee you’d finish a dungeon with the same party as you started with, if you finish at all. If a player DC’d or rage-quit, that was it. Sure, you could go back to Ironforge or Orgrimmar to spam the LFG channel for replacements, but that was also a crapshoot, especially if you were two or more bosses in.

Nostalgia is nice but I prefer modern WoW because I was there when old WoW was new.

The genie is out of the bottle with Addons but let’s not pretend that they dont fundamentally alter the challenge of the game. If you play Classic without them it’s a different experience. Some players don’t want to admit how much all these tools change the game.

Classic isn’t “easy” if you don’t play with all the addons. I don’t play WoW like that. I also don’t run to a video or WoWhead every time I hit a roadblock. I don’t go out of my way to optimize my gear either, which is a huge component to trivializing classic content.

Many players went back to classic with all the tools, got all the best gear, and anything they didn’t know, they simply looked up or watched a playthough on, of course it’s not going to be the same challenging experience.

Do it without any of those crutches and yes, thee game has it’s challenge.

Do Mythic+ 25 without any of those things and it will be mostly impossible for those same players.

:man_shrugging:

Players use these addons and help sites as training wheels and baby pacifiers. kinda funny that they think they are elite players. Gee, I wonder what would happen if Blizz banned all this addon junk?

Padgarre tosses in flashbang and breeches the dungeons entrance with super speed. His super soaker 9,001B ready to blast! He scans the room and reports back “multiple hostiles in the vacinity send in the drone”

Mechagnome enters the room and eyes light up as lasers point at all targets. The Gnome pulls out a big gun (queue ACDC Big Gun music), and it starts firing. The camera pans from trash pack to trash pack as they all go down. A murloc in the distance has it’s hands in the air and eyes wide open.

“Targets eliminated” the Mechagnome reports back.

Now that friends is how you dungeon crawl!!!

Padgarre drops keyboard and leaves the Thread…

I started a thread in Dungeons part of forum with my ratings for DF dungeons (and why I rated them that way). Would be interested to get your thoughts there: Rank the Dragonflight Dungeons (beyond knee-jerk reactions)

Hard disagree. I exclusively pugged them via LFD.
It wasn’t hard telling people to use their CCs and they almost always listened without a single retort.

The max wipes I’ve had was like 3 on the Stonecore boss #3 because some players didn’t want to clear the surrounding trash.

Edit: And in the initial runs of each dungeon, when no one had a clue on what to do.
HoO was “fun”.

The best time I had was in LK when you got your 2 daily frost badges for doing your daily heroic que.

Honestly everything up to and including heroic should be able to follower dungeons option. No one wants to ever do baisc its all about mythics and raids.

Wrong, classic Everquest still has the type of gameplay hes referring to and its even older than wow.

1 Like

They made the mobs too complex, that’s why. They used to do nothing but auto attack and then the casters casted one spell, maybe they did a buff or debuff as well or an AOE.

They just kept piling more and more mechs into the trash mobs until we got where we are now where every single thing has the mechanics of a mini boss.

They also used to do proper AOE packs that died relatively fast and auto attacked and was a frantic pull that also challenged the tank. Now it’s just every single pack is a meat shield AOE thing, I can’t stand modern dungeons.
The tank just rips everything onto himself instantly and the mobs never attack anyone else unless it’s a cast that has to be kicked.

*Multiplayer games are not like this anymore.

It’s not like people are out there feeling forced to optimize the fun out of BG3.
Players screw the fun out of games when other people are involved way too often.

Yep. Most players were trash back then. Was never actually hard, never needed cc, etc.

I agree. We were so tight in my guild. We even met up when the opportunity presented itself.

1 Like

Ah yea, the ol dungeon crawl that hasn’t existed since original TBC launch

More fun to pretend it existed for longer though, eh?

I feel this so hard. When I played way back in 2008 I was young and had the luxury of less obligations (and less need for sleep).

Fast forward to now. While I might love to try and learn a dungeon if I do that it might well soak up all my gaming energy for the week.

Your computer is posting on the forums for you. Turn off your computer and figure out how to forum post on your own.

People do optimize the fun out of BG3, it’s just that them optimizing the fun out of their own games doesn’t really effect anyone else.

However, there are still build guides for BG3, and people will generally pick whatever strategy works the best for them and abuse it, as that is the common strategy amongst most people who play video games. And I think looking up build guides and watching let’s plays of video games and knowing everything about the game before or even without ever actually playing the game is much more common now than in the past.

Oh I’m not saying no one follows guides and such for BG3. Just that no one feels forced into it like they do in multiplayer games.

You don’t know what “playing the game for you” means.

I am substituting looking at the bottom or top right of my screen for looking at the center of it.

It already does on your action bars, buffs, and debuffs. I use WeakAuras to move that information into an easier to read position and customize that information to my liking. I guess using Blizzard’s user interface editor is also “playing the game for you”.

So an addon saying that is bad but having that exact same route on a second monitor is fine? I’m trying to find where your insanity ends.

1 Like