WoW eventually utilizing all 32GB RAM

Can you guys get a screenshot of your GPU tab on the task manager when the game is doing this for you?

Your system can reserve up to half of your regular ram to be used as shared swapspace for your GPU when the GPU runs out of vram. So if your system has 32gb of ram, it can reserve up to 16gb as shared vram.

Under the GPU tab of the task manager, you’ll see dedicated, shared and gpu memory. Dedicated is your card’s amount like 8gb, shared is 1/2 of your PC’s ram and gpu memory is the sum of those two numbers. So for example, on this system, there is 8gb of vram, 32gb of ram. This means my gpu page will show 8gb dedicated, 16gb shared and 24gb gpu memory.

If you have a GPU with 8 or more gb of vram and you’re seeing WoW use any shared memory at all, it’s probably a bad driver or external apps that use hardware acceleration messing with things.

1 Like

I highly doubt this is it because I have several machines doing the same thing with absolutely nothing on them, but Wow and am experiencing the same issue on all machines. It is now a known issue the several people are being affected.

It is an application problem, everything was fine the day before. The developers Bug fix team needs to take a look application side.

1 Like

Reloading the UI does NOT fix the problem. Changing DX to another version is NOT a fix, it is a work around for those who have a GPU that supports DX12.

So you don’t adjust the seat and mirrors of every car you get into? People tend to run the same things and adjust the same things on all of their PCs.

Looking for emperical evidence is one of the first steps toward solving a problem with a game. If this really is an issue with the WoW client, Blizzard would likely already know. But seeing how such a few number of people are reporting this issue, it leads me into believing that you guys are all sharing some similarities in system environments.

And external apps, such as overlays and browsers that use hardware acceleration, have absolutely been the culprits of issues like this in the past with this game and a plethora of other games out there.

1 Like

Well that is quite the assumption when its a fresh windows 11 machine w/ no addons and no programs on start up. it was working fine literally the day before and then a patch and it starts having all these issues. Which that alone leans more to the application as the issue. Barring that fact I have seen this on my Fiancé’s Laptop as well, She has completely different settings than I , with completely different hardware.

Side note:
I hate the cop out answer “its a third party program”, every single developer does this. Literally ran into this the other day at work vendor sent out a patch to customer, sever has massive memory leak discovered 2 days later, vendor said it was not their software, 3 days later and reimaging the server 3 times twice with the vendor on the phone. Still same issue. Sent all the logs requested set the server up exactly how the application needs to be setup and still had the issue finally they admitted it might be their application. Get sent a patch and guess what no more memory leak. No other customer had reported it so the vendor said, but guess what that vendor now has a patch and sent out an email stating that if you where on a certain version of software it needs to be updated.

Moral of the story new patch and you immediately start having memory issues 9 times out of 10 its the patch not anything individuals are doing.

1 Like

I’ve had three clients open on three separate machines in our house, for several hours now, in major cities(lots of loading/unloading). Not seeing any evidence or signs of a memory leak at all.

They are all three on DX12, two Nvidia GPUs and one AMD GPU. Maxed out settings on all of them, no addons running.

2 Likes

^^^^ not even
Blizz has a big time memory leak in there latest patch !!!

4 Likes

You are part of the problem as to why things do not get fixed. “I don’t experience this so its not a problem”. You have offered nothing of value or help to the forums so idk why you insist. Also, I have talked to a dev just recently and they are AWARE of the memory leak, so there you have it.

2 Likes

Yes, I actually have. You have to walk through the steps of troubleshooting and not skip steps or leave things out. Emphasis on the not skipping steps part or leaving things out part.

Right… Of course you did…

Regardless, it’s an issue that’s likely only affecting <1% of people. When there’s a real memory leak, you’ll know because threads like these will have hundreds to thousands of posts in them. Especially if they can leak 16-32gb within a couple hours.

If you’re having the issue, post a DXDIAG report on pastebin and link it here. Simply using out of date drivers or Windows builds can cause issues like this. Also, things like memory integrity(hyper-v) can trigger some issues with memory management or whatever equivalent version of it is in whatever other security suite you’re using.

2 Likes

Again, useless comment. Come back when you have something USEFUL to add to the conversation. I have found a work around, and yes I am in a discord server with a senior developer. The devs are currently working on a fix and have done a temp fix this morning. Saying “there’s not a real leak” because you aren’t experiencing it doesn’t mean there isn’t. You clearly don’t know how the game works and interacts with memory and GPUs. There is a ton of reports on WoW forums AND reddit, etc.

2 Likes

You did this same stuff on a different alt in the stutter thread…

No, you are not in one with a senior Blizzard developer…

Define tons… The game has millions of players. Seeing dozens to hundreds of posts is background noise. Even in the thousands range, still less than a percent.

So again, do something constructive and post a DXDIAG report. Otherwise, you’re just clogging up the thread. The more telemetry they have on this issue, the faster they can cross reference what you all share in common.

1 Like

I dont have any alt posts. You’re so delusional lmaoo and yes I am I could literally prove it…but you? You’re a wannabe Blizz employee who has no business giving advice in a tech support thread. Time for you to retire.

While I work in the industry and spend a lot of time developing/debugging/troubleshooting, sadly, I’m still quite a ways away from retirement. So again, do something constructive for this thread and the devs by posting a DXDIAG report.

1 Like

Most will not even know there is memory leak . Most do not run 2 monitors with task manger open . There is only 2 things right now that max out my memory ! is wow other is wowhead if left open . Wowhead knows about there’s for years now they just will not fix it . Blizz fixes there leaks well they all ways have …

I just found out its only in new zone have not been in old one much .

If the client is leaking this many gb per hour, as people are claiming, then yes, most will know that there is a leak when the game client crashes with an error. Only 35.4% of gamers have more than 16gb of ram (https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ and Steam’s sample sizes are absolutely massive). Once that gets filled, it will fill the pagefile, which usually isn’t super large by default. When you run out of pagefile and ram, a program will crash if it’s trying to perform an operation that needs more memory.

The only recent memory leak that comes to mind is the one related to the crafting UI, but it’s not a true leak in the sense of constantly growing by itself. That one was related to the number of crafts performed. It was just an issue with poor array management and it storing the icons with the crafts.

This is why I asked people to verify GPU dedicated and shared vram amounts(which can be done with simply alt tabbing, no need for a second screen). People are talking about switching between DX11 and 12 and all that’s really doing under the hood is running a /console gxrestart which causes the game to purge everything and reload everything.

This is why people need to post specifics about the problem, without being vague. If this really is an issue affecting some small percentage of players, they need to figure out if it’s leaking on the GPU rendering end of things or if it’s leaking on the CPU side of things like maybe there’s some bad data table management or something. This is also why it’s absolutely important that people perform a full UI reset and to not use a single addon while testing things out.

1 Like

I had this problem as well, on my computer. I found what seems to be the problem for me, it seems Details Damage meter was causing the problem. Since deleting it from my addons and clearing out the the WTF file the game is running fine with no memory problems.

Hopes this helps

1 Like

I’ve had 3 game memory crashes since the patch that resulted in necessary hard resets as Win10 would not shutdown properly with the crash error reporting window being unresponsive. I had a “near” one just now and I caught a screen shot of my Task Manager showing a secondary WoW process that was not the game client that was using up 8GB of memory compared with 2.5 for the game which has now crept up to 4.3. System (16GB) was at 98% and about ready to go before this extra process went away.

I am running the DX11 option, because without that the game takes several minutes to launch from the Battle.net app. All add-ons are up to date.

This:

3 Likes

Oh that explains it then. People were saying that this was happening on all DX APIs, which is why I only tested on DX12 where the bug isn’t. On Windows, it only affects DX11 and not DX12 or DX11Legacy. Most people play on DX12(probably 95% of people), since it’s the default for pretty much every modern graphics card, which could also back the stats as to why there were so few reports on the issue. See the importance of specificity?

Glad to see they brought up using /console gxrestart to clear things, like I mentioned earlier, while they patch the issue. Should be a quick hotfix for them though.

1 Like
6 Likes