WoW and HDR--absolutely gorgeous

The auto HDR implementation through windows 11 has been one of the most striking graphical upgrades I’ve seen in World of Warcraft since I began playing back in vanilla.

I’ve been raving about HDR in WoW, made possible through windows 11, for a solid two months to my guildmates, but I logged in this AM, saw the warm stone of Stormwind bathed in dawn and had to make this post in hopes that more of my fellow players will take advantage of this feature.

Most computer monitors, even high end gaming monitors, have lackluster HDR implementation. I happen to be playing on what is effectively a TV–an LG C1.

My friends, if you want to see Azeroth pop, invest in a quality HDR tv or monitor, especially an OLED if possible.

Blizzard, I hope you will implement actual HDR soon.

2 Likes

I see you too are part of the LG C1 Club, I’m using the 48inch driven by a 6900XT @ 2870Mhz core.

My friend, I am rocking the 6900xt as well. I have not overclocked it, but with ray traced shadows off, and everything else maxed I’m usually cruising at a lock 120 fps at 4k.

When I opt to play with the ray tracing on, The VRR implementation on the C1 is incredible as well.

Unless something really wow’s me (Hahaha pun hahaha) I’ll be skipping the 7000 series and just get an 8000 series GPU, The most impressive thing I have seen on this panel, Is not WoW but rather the first game I tried on it wich happened to be the first time I had played it.

And that was Horizon Zero Dawn, Can’t wait for the next one to come to PC, LOOKING AT YOU SONY

1 Like

Playing on my Samsung 50inch HDR TV, less then 2 feet away like a mad man!

1 Like

I was wondering what changes and then I remembered I have used a HD/ TV monitor since '08.

1 Like

I just turned on HDR in Windows 11. I’ll check out WoW when maintenance ends to see if there’s much difference. I have an LG Ultragear 27GN950-B 27 Inch 4K UHD Nano IPS 1ms 144Hz Gaming Monitor G-SYNC Compatible.
Looking at an LG OLED upgrade sometime, 42" possibly.

ok but you gonna tell us how to set it up?

Be careful with those OLEDs. I don’t play WoW on my LG CX, but I have looked at WoW on it in SDR (calibrated for color accuracy for films), and was blown the eff away. I am on Windows 10 though, so I will see if HDR will work on it. I am playing the game on a 1440p 144hz monitor because I am afraid of burn in from static buff images and unit frames.

IMO, games looks the best when you forego color temps and set RGB to 100/100/100. HDR sets the temp to a pretty warm setting.

This is incredibly timely for me because I’m building a new PC. As things stand it’s going to be overkill for running wow on my current gaming 2k/144hz monitor.

So I’m looking at buying a new monitor for it.

I’d like to move up from 27” but also don’t have the ability or room to scoot back much further away from it.

I think I’d enjoy 4k, do want to stay at a high refresh rate, and at least think I’d like HDR.

The rest I don’t know about. OLED? QLED? Quantum dot IPS? Every monitor I look at has mixed reviews- DOA, died after a couple months, terrible firmware, fake or bad HDR, won’t wake up from sleep, and so on.

I also need my main monitor (which this will be) to work properly and well with windows programs, visual studio, vs code, etc. 99% in dark mode. I think this means playing on a 4k TV is out.

I’m vaguely considering the PG32UCDM but it won’t be available for months, it might be harder to spend the money by then, and at best it’s an unknown that sounds good.

I do play other games than wow, but mostly I only play wow.

What monitor would you buy if you were me?

I’ve had a good run with Asus monitors. They make a 27" 1440p HDR 180hz monitor that supports both FreeSync and G-Sync. WoW works with G-Sync, but flickers with FreeSync. FreeSync also turns off when you alt+tab.

I have 2 27” ASUS gsync 165hz 2k monitors…one supports HDR (VG27A) and one does not (PG279Q), but the one that doesn’t has MUCH better picture quality imo. The HDR monitor just looks too bright and the colors look too intense. I’ve tried fiddling with the settings for hours but no matter what I do, the end result is always either too bright or too washed out. But the picture from the non-HDR monitor is gorgeous, so I can’t really complain.

I don’t see the appeal of HDR. The picture is just a bit brighter. The only thing that stands out to me with HDR on is fire. You can’t effectively take screenshots with HDR on. The monitor will probably have a shorter life span with HDR on.

Thanks everybody! Has anyone used a 4k 144+hz computer monitor with HDR that hasn’t given them any trouble?