WoW and CPU Core Count

As everybody is probably now aware, AMD is ripping Intel a new one in the CPU market. What I’d like to know because I’m seriously considering upgrading:

Does anybody have a very high core count(more than 6) that plays this game, and how many cores can this game use? I’ve been told it will only use 6 cores and that it doesn’t use hyperthreading, which is why I originally chose my 8600k. Has that changed/is it true? I’d like to hear from someone who has more than 6 cores to confirm.

When I had my 9900k. WoW can use all of its core, but its not all evenly used.
Refer to this post

2 Likes

wow is only going to use a couple cores very hard. Beyond that there are benefits to having extras cores but those benefits are generally small and significantly smaller than just having better single core performance.

Generally speaking the best wow performer is still the best flavor of 9900k, with most of the ryzens not far behind, with minimal performance difference between each ryzen. The higher tier ryzens do slightly better at warcraft because of their single core speeds not due to core counts.

Getting more cores is generally to give more consistent performance.
The 8600K is not going to become obsolete or give you bad performance anytime soon in WoW.

Let’s be fair. That scene if sitting around doing nothing.

CPU usage is different on griffing rides, arenas, BGs, epic BGs, 5-man, raids etc. Then you have the complexity of SMT vs HT implementation, kernels, schedulers and so on to consider.

Depending on what you’re doing. TM will have a better performance with more cores. Intel works better with HT off while AMD works better with it’s HT (SMT) on. TM is about the most intensive you can get in WoW. Rarely do you have that level of intense all the time.

Only if max OCed, will Ryzens beat a max OC 9900K. The average performance is better off just getting a 9900K and disabling HT. An OC Ryzen will beat an OC 9900K but OCing Ryzens is much much harder.

i disagree with some of your claims but don’t care to re-hash anything. all i’d add is that i think you would be better suited to give input that stands on its own rather than trying to appear as though you are correcting something or are an authority, particularly when you’re going to say things you know nobody on this forum agrees with.

2 Likes

All we’ve seen from many of your ilk is conjecture and 0 evidence to backup any of your nonsensical theories.

WoW scales with cores and clock per real world tests (end game raiding in this case):

3 Likes

… dear god, please, FFS, stop posting that idiot’s videos.

His testing methodology is abysmal and unprofesssional and his “results” are backed up by literally no one else.

Hes not a reputable source. He still isnt.

The fact that you still have yet to find even a single reputable tester that shows anything even remotely like his results should tell you all you need to know.

If his results cant be replicated, theyre garbage.

3 Likes

“Aribeth stop posting that video its not good enough because we don’t know him!”

doesn’t provide a 2nd opinion himself, rather want Jayz/Linus/Hardware Unboxed/Gamers Nexus results instead

yet they themselves will never post a WoW benchmark unless their fans ask (which won’t happen)

Now if this guy used Intel in his video I bet you would have agreed with Aribeth :wink:

3 Likes

You’re welcome to show who these other people are that are testing, their results and testing methods.

So far he’s done the same tests as past benchmarkers (griffing runs, 5 man and raids).

I have 8 i7 cores and with the resource monitor going and WOW running I noticed all sitting at about 10%, give or take. When I closed the game all of the CPU graphs crashed to near zero, suggesting it was using all of them. For what that’s worth.

1 Like

holy necro-thread batman!

I’m using ryzen 7 2700 and wow works gud on it

1 Like

I’m using an i7 960, and its’ twin cores are regularly hitting around 70%-80% ingame - I’m actually getting a new PC later this year…

Actually if Blizzard decided to stop supporting museum-piece PCs, and made WoW pretty much require a PC from this decade rather than from the late 2000’s I imagine some of the ridicule would die down…