Wouldn’t Cross-Realm Servers solve all our issues?

But if that’s not what you’re after I’ve essentially been arguing all morning with a bunch of people for no reason because I am for RDF lol

There are 3 types of Cross Realm.

Cross Realm Zones

Cross Realm Servers

Cross Realm Groups

Cross Realm Groups already exist in the game in the form of BGs.

What I was asking for specifically was Cross Realm Servers, this is where your server for example at 4k will be able to play with people who are at servers with 30k.

This does not mean you will see the 30k people on your 4k server, it just means that activities like raids and dungeons can be done with more than people on your server and they were able to initially do this with LFD/RDF.

I’m saying that if we bring Cross Servers back, we can make it less mandatory for people to only pick Mega Servers thus leaving it free for them to play from anywhere and still be able to maintain communities on other servers.

This technology not only exists in Classic but has in Retail for many, many years now. All they had to do was bring it over and like magic most of our problems will disappear overnight when it comes to server and population issues.

1 Like

Realm Connections (Blizzard’s verbage for what is effectively a merge) would better serve the lower pop realms than CrossRealming.

1 Like

I’m not aware of these merges, what’s a merged server right now?

As long as I don’t see any other players on my server that are not a part of my server I would be fine with it. I think they should try out RDF with cross realm first tbh. I don’t think cross realm servers should be the first go to option for fixing the queue times. They hopefully back off after wrath launch anyway.

They should offer server transfers with a guarantee you can go back to your server in a month or 2 and keep them locked. Or split these mega servers somehow into 2 servers that will be merged back together if that’s possible and keep guilds together. I just don’t think the first option should be something that will effect players not on the mega servers.

Classic Era has had connected realms (permanent linkages) between same-region/same-type servers for over a year.

I play Classic Era on PvP East Incendius which has the sister realms Benediction, Faerlina, Heartseeker, and Netherwind connected to it.

This is basically exactly what I am saying I don’t want. It is necessary for era because the population across all of these servers wouldn’t even fill a low pop tbc realm. This would kill the server identity of basically every realm that gets connected and is basically the same as retail being sharded together with other realms.

I want this too tbh, it just sucks that they give you a free one way then make you pay to get back only to lock it out of the blue.

I think a lot of the frustration is coming from tactics like that, it only serves to put money in Blizzard’s pocket while wasting player’s time.

My server was Blameux, it died because one faction took over and had toxic private server guilds that ruined it for everyone else who later left. Moving forward, the rest of the population died.

I don’t think merging servers solves anything, all they did was take dead servers and lump into the big realms and the big realms only continued to grow into Mega servers which is where ultimately the problem lies.

You can’t save small servers from dying unless you give people a reason to be there, and for most people they want to find groups at any time of the day and so they move for convenience.

Cross Realm allows those in small servers to still play with everyone on the big realm without destroying their servers thus maintaining whatever server identity they had instead of just globbing together dead servers to a successful one.

1 Like

You save small servers from dying by not having them be small servers anymore. Realm Connections accomplishes that effectively without removing players from any realms’ pool, as opposed to transfers which treat the player pool as a zero-sum game.

That’s like saying you’re saving someone from dying by just killing them, it literally is not a solution. Even with them doing that we have massive Mega server issues, it didn’t solve anything at all.

1 Like

Era servers are a completely different issue to tbc… There are some servers with sub 100 players on those. In tbc most low pop realms have several thousand. It is a different issue.

1 Like

If you reread the first sentence I posted about realm connections, I was specifically referring to the small pop realms that the players on megaservers abandoned.

Its amusing you think CROSSREALM maintains the integrity of small servers yet realm connections somehow destroy them. You’ve got it completely backwards.

So you say

Then your solution is to create one GIANT megaserver?! LMAO

Mega servers are being addressed. They’re being split up.

Cross realm will never happen in Classic. It’s a terrible solution to a problem that’s already being fixed.

2 Likes

Right, I understand what you’re trying to say but my point is that they’ve been doing this for a year and just recently admitted that Mega servers are a huge problem and they need to try and control it.

The merging of server was nothing more than cleaning house and trying to sweep servers under the rug, it was never an actual solution considering all their actions led to even more problems.

All i’m saying is that if you go on Retail you can play on a low pop server and still play with people who are on high pop servers any time of day, the reason why they did that is because they realized without it you would have the problem right now which is mega servers.

The only solution is cross realm.

I never once said that lmao, are you even on the right thread?

It literally happened in ICC patch with Cross Realm Battlegroups and LFD, it later on took full form in Cata.

Everything i’m saying are old gameplay solutions to current day problems we have right now, the solutions are right in front of us.

Mega servers are not being addressed, locking it won’t last long as there is already massive outrage about it and they aren’t splitting anything up because that’s even more work and resources and if mishandled will be catastrophic for them PR wise as many have built their homes on these servers.

The easiest and most painless solution is Cross Realm.

You haven’t provided a reason why Realm Connections wouldn’t help the low pop servers. After connections, their situation only improves. What’s the drawback?

Let’s take my old server for example, the server had to die with literally 5 people online before they decided to merge.

Almost every server you see on that list that’s inactive was already dead before they merged it, it added nothing and provided zero benefit.

So what exactly was the point of it besides cleaning up dead servers?

You essentially kill realm identity of every server you connect…

2 Likes

You’re using the example of server deletions and saying its the same as realm connections. You’re either confused or misrepresenting yourself.

Off the quote you posted:

My server Blaumeux was on there, they decided to do this AFTER the server had already died. Most of the servers on that list had the same fate, the merge happened far too late for it to have any impact.