Would you take the token over bots? Why/why not?

Blizzard has already calculated that bot revenues exceed potential token revenues IMO.

They give no care to players and only care about revenue.

3 Likes

To me, the gold buying bothers me way more than the bots. If tokens are introduced, gold buying will increase by a lot, it will become legitimized, and this game will officially become a pay-to-win game. And then I will have to find a new game to play.

7 Likes

No. It’s not an either/or thing. Activision can do something about the bots and hacks, they simply choose not too. They don’t want to invest anything in this game and using bots as an excuse to MAKE MORE money is despicable.

3 Likes

Activision can’t do anything about the bots and hacks in this game because they don’t work on or own the rights to this game.

1 Like

Hate to break it to ya, but they own Blizzard, which means they own the IP rights to the game.

1 Like
1 Like

Activision lets Blizzard develop the game, yes. But that is only because it is more convenient for Activision. They own Blizzard, which means they own Blizzard’s IP. In fact, thanks to corporate tax chicanery, the IPs are actually owned by holding companies in the Phillipines, or some other country with ludicrous corporate tax rates, and they then license those IPs to Activision and Blizzard, which is why the American company Activision-Blizzard can turn record profits and still claim they’re operating at a loss on their taxes.

2 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/cs-agent-told-me-to-cancel-my-subscription/88227/17

1 Like

Try to keep up, Deli. We’re talking about who owns the IP.
https://youtu.be/ATX74ImzPlU?t=185

1 Like

If you have seen MW Warzone they dont really care about cheats there so bots in Wow isnt going to make that much of adifference as long as legit players have the path to gold as well.

Overall why do you think that gold hasnt had real value for some time? Most of the value of gold is for people to actually not pay for subs. Hence the rampant multi-boxers on live.

The issue then becomes where is the value for tokens for multi-boxers? If they are able to make more gold in Classic or the value for gold to Tokens is better youll just have an infestation of them. At the same time it allows people to basically just transfer gold around from live to classic.

Overall there is no good place to allow tokens into Classic or any future expansion releases since they just turn Tokens into blizzard bucks and it becomes a liquid asset between both games.

1 Like

I didn’t even bother to read your second post; Blizzard owns the IP.

https://www.blizzard.com/en-gb/legal/38fd0408-8431-469a-99bc-2cd9eb9462c8/blizzard-entertainment-trademark-usage-guidelines

1 Like

Trademarks are different from the Intellectual Property, man. The Trademark is the logo, but the IP is the game, its code, and its associated characters and lore. It is the difference between the title of the book, and the book itself.

Not particularly. They are both p2w. One is sanctioned p2w the other is tos breaking p2w. Imo, sanctioned p2w is even worse from a principle stand point.

1 Like

This is probably the likely reason.

Sadly.

At the end of each quarter trust me Blizzard has to answer to activison, and the pubicly traded shares of their company.

On a day to day basis sure. If you think the coin counters don’t ask questions, and push agendas for the overall development schedule you are foolish. I doubt the recent delay on SL went over well. They are expected to meet deadlines and profit margins/growth goals. These are deemed by…you guessed it. Activison.

1 Like

It’s not even Blizzard anymore. It’s Activision Blizzard and Bobby Kotick is the CEO. He’s the one responsible for firing 800 employees from “Blizzard” games while he raked in a $30,000,000 annual salary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-04-activision-blizzard-shareholders-upset-over-ceo-bobby-koticks-compensation

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/game-workers-unite-fire-bobby-kotick-1203139767/

But oh my god they can’t afford in game GM’s!!

“I know this is a popular and fairly trite quip to throw out, but to be clear… Activision has zero to do with the development of Blizzard games.”

Bobby has EVERY say in their budget. And he can, and HAS fired Blizzard staff.

Anyone who believes Activision doesn’t pull the strings has no idea how corporations work.

Wouldn’t be the first time a CM got it wrong and it won’t be the last.

1 Like

The game already has a player created “pay-to-win”. To much gold has already been pumped into the market, it’s now on an endless cycle because of GDKP runs. Tokens would do nothing at this point but make it worse while also driving gold costs down. The value of in game items would go up more because supply of currency would increase as well as demand for items(consumables mostly). Action typically gets taken against the bots, but again it’s a little late to do much about it now. The in game market is a long black train that’s already left the station and nothing will slow it down now.

People unsubbing so its not longer profitable for the bots would have an effect but sadly thats about the only thing.

The real tragedy is if they pull all that gold into TBC if it happens, it will be even worse there.

If this were true, Retail would have no token either, because there would be many more botters subbing if the currency were going straight to them instead of to Blizzard. In retail, their only “revenue” is being able to play for free since they get no cash from players.

I don’t see how they stop this. They could try gold limits on what you can transfer to TBC with, but they’ll have to announce this in advance in which case folks will simply convert all their gold in excess of the cap. (And the ones who don’t/can’t will be royally ticked off.) Or they could do only fresh TBC servers, but a lot of the folks who have worked to earn rewards in Classic will either not go along or cancel altogether if forced. Or they could just open the floodgates and let (or make) people transfer into TBC as-is, in which case the economy will be fubar from the get-go.

The actual TBC launch back in the day had far fewer people who knew what they were doing and therefore a lot less inflation. But we’ve had 15 years to learn how to game the system.