Would you support Retail server consolidation

The more players you have-- the more shards you have. And CRZ is different between RP and Normal Servers.

Until Blizzard gets rid of these-- Servers will continue to feel empty no matter how many players are on it or how many servers are connected.

That’s the bottom line.

CRZ people have an asterisk next to the nameplates. Connected Realm people are your server, so no asterisk.

But if they drop the dumpster fire of CRZ, then we won’t have to worry about it. All they’d need to do is make it clear on the realm listing who is with who.

2 Likes

Would not mind at all. This is from a Area52 player. I would not mind a bit. Theres been FAR to many realms for years now.

They should have a poll or something for the low pop realms to see if they want to get merged, and if that number if a certain percentage of the number of 120,s active on those realms, they get merged.

Everything a realm consolidation does, connected realms does as well without putting names at risk.

4 Likes

Names are not at risk if they just add the original server as a last name for the names that have multiples. Also offer a name change to people who clash and there really wont be that many.

Connected realms already does that though.

There’s no real advantage to realm consolidation over connected realms.

4 Likes

In terms of game play I totally agree. It is just clunky for someone new or returning such as myself when I didnt know which servers were connected to which. if that were made clearer then I wouldnt care if they connected more or properly merged them.

1 Like

“You are attempting to whisper JoeBlow. There are 2 players with that name. Do you mean JoeBlow#Azi1dko or JoeBlow#Rxi1Dsl?”

How does someone know the answer to that question unless you’ve already given them the full name, thus defeating the entire purpose of allowing duplicate names?

1 Like

Can only imagine what would happen if they merged a RP server like Moonguard into another RP server.

Rip that servers Horde population, lol.

More realm connections could solve the issue without anyone losing their name. Far better option, imho.

2 Likes

best way to handle the jumbled mess of connected realms and the ‘name crisis’

re-invented battlegroups

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Battlegroup were based on data center locations (realm clock)
each battlegroup consisted of roughly 20 realms

obviously bg9/bloodlust (PST PVP) contained a ton of AUS realms so they would be moved off bloodlust and into something for AUS

but having the realm select log in screen appear with

’Bloodlust (PST)'
[click for list of associated realms to choose from]

’Rampage (CST)'
[click for list of associated realms to choose from]

ect with dropdowns, where once clicked they include all the realms associated with the battlegroup that you can now select from
this basically function likes ‘connected realms’ but ALL of the information is completely and neatly laid out on the screen select INCLUDING REALMTIME FOR LATENCY SELECTION

and these realms would all be completely and entirely merged AH, guilds, trading, ect in the same fashion connected realms are

this also includes the massive benefit on blizzards end of appearing as consolidation / UI cleanup / Information additive more so than an ‘our games dying and we’re forced to connect dead servers’ the way connected realms looked to investors

2 Likes

Yes. I wish the world had more people roaming around. Not to mention a better economy for the AH.

I don’t care about my names, they’re meaningless anyway,

I’ll just change it to the regular old auto populate like Karsaminten … or whatever else it spits out

You don’t need to take people’s names. Just connect realms on a larger scale. Greed is the only reason this hasn’t happened. Blizzard is too busy milking transfer money from people stuck on dead realms.

1 Like

You know they pretty much do that already.

Connected realms has it so it a person on the realm that is connected to your’s shows as [toon name-server name] and anyone on your original server shows toon name only.

This brings up a great point. I agree that Blizz’s resistance to move forward would be for monetary reasons.

No, I’ve had my names a long time and I am not interested in losing them in a merger. I also don’t want to be on a super huge, overwhelmed server. I have a character on Stormrage that I moved recently and the lag over there is horrific.

Just connect more realms. If CRZ must remain, then change the colors of the names to indicate who is connected (so you can trade) and who is CRZ. Maybe make the connected realm names the standard blue and the CRZ names a baby blue? I don’t know, but they could definitely make them stand out better.

THey did server mergers in a sense years ago and since then population of the game has gone down more . Not because of the mergers or should I say connected realms. They went down because over time things change people stop playing .

Most servers outside of your mega servers that don’t need to be connected would not be able to form say mythic raid teams if not for connected realms and you know how they solve the name problem .

Depending on what server your toon is on players from your server show as character name and people from the server connected to yours show as
character name - server name.

Yes. I don’t give a hoot.

CRZ and sharding are terrible and not good compromises. Merge the servers. 90% of them are dead anyway.

2 Likes

Connected Realms are fine. Stop trying to find a solution to the problem when one already exist.

3 Likes

Considering my old server where I keep my Horde characters is still dead after being connected to like 7 or 8 other servers that were also dead, Connected Realms are a failure to me. Yeah, I keep my names, but why does that matter when I can’t even find an active guild?

1 Like