Would you prefer a Time-Skip or Redo?

That’s why they should do “Crisis on Infinite Azeroth”

This.

I’m tired of all the astrelixs in the lore.

2 Likes

You’d have to put the Redo all the way back to before vanilla and have the Night Elves join the Horde instead of the Alliance for me to care.

1 Like

Neither. A redo would make all of my accomplishments up to this point meaningless and a timeskip would just remind me we’re all getting old.

So very old.

Question: Where do people get the idea that Night Elves fit with the Horde? Or that they make more natural enemies with the Alliance? iirc, the Horde did a lot more damage to the nelves in Warcraft 3 than the Alliance ever did.

2 Likes

Because the Night Elves of WC3 were a savage culture with a strong connection to nature. Like pretty much every vanilla Horde race other than the Forsaken.

And the Alliance should have got the Forsaken, as they were all former Alliance anyway, and having them in the Alliance would have actually given the Alliance a little more color to their morality and made them less one-dimensional and boring.

It’s not about being enemies with the Alliance. It’s about NOT being enemies with the Horde. It’s about not being enemies with every other race on their continent, while most of their allies are on the opposite side of the planet. Which it what they did, and it turned out terrible for them.

2 Likes

I’m gonna throw a wild idea out there and say that a two-mutually-exclusive-faction MMO based on a four-mutually-exclusive-faction RTS (five or six faction, arguably) was the mistake and if you’re gonna be redoing all the way back to WoW Vanilla there is no reason to be repeating that mistake.

None of the elves should have been part of either Alliance or Horde at a governmental level.

1 Like

Orcs never had a strong connection to nature. Neither did the Darkspear until Cata. Orcs were also responsible for the deaths of Cenarius and the elves under him. So even back in Warcraft 3, it was clear that they would never play nice with each other.

And the first thing Sylvanas and the forsaken did after taking over Lordaeron was to kill off the previous inhabitants, the dead and the alive ones. So why would the greater Alliance just ignore that tidbit of information?

You’re also talking about a post-third war world, where the Scourge was still fresh on everyone’s mind. Especially those from the Eastern Kingdoms. If anything, undead joining the Alliance would have been a harder sell than undead on the Horde (a faction of “monsters” being their theme after all…)

2 Likes

I’m going to have to go with neither.

tl:dr: Neither, because I don’t trust that Blizzard wouldn’t make everything worse than it already it. Intentionally or otherwise.

A redo has the chance of changing things none of us thought about and a time skip has the chance of costing us literally any character, race, neutral faction, or location in the game out of the blue either from the amount of time that we’ve been gone or because of Random Terrible Thing that we weren’t there to help against.

I’m sure the Night Elves would love to lose Ashenvale and Malfurion to the Legion either because they decided that’s just what happened during their rewrite or because some remnant of the Burning Legion showed up and the remaining forces of the Horde and Alliance were only strong enough to contain them in Ashenvale.

And since I can practically feel the derailment coming, how about the reason they couldn’t contain a much smaller force of the Legion was because the Void Elves oopsied the Sunwell into the Voidwell and the Blood Elves destroyed it and it ended up killing all but a handful of their people, including the deaths of the remaining High Elves. The EK races couldn’t spare enough forces to help those on Kalimdor because either they suddenly had to deal with magical withdrawal again or because they were trying to prevent the void’s spread which pushed all the way to the edge of the Wetlands before the Alliance figured out why all of their High Elf friends just fell over dead. Don’t worry, Rommath and Oculeth totally managed to save the 50 remaining Blood Elves before they got corrupted by porting them to Orgrimmar. Sucks to be someone that lived in the Hinterlands or Arathi though.

But hey, maybe we’ll get to keep Staghelm and Kael’thas in exchange!

They have Shamans. Which is more than the Alliance had. That’s connected enough for me.

Well the whole point of this thread(or half of it anyway) is that it’s a redo. If everyone’s reactions were a little less knee-jerk, all of these things could have worked out.

For example, Sylvanas originally sent envoys to Stormwind, who were killed on sight. This made her join the Horde out of necessity. If Stormwind hadn’t been so hasty, they could have hashed things out with their former allies.

And the NEs primary problem with the Orcs is the Orcs need to cut down their forests. Which the Orcs mostly do out of the need for lumber. But the NEs can create all the lumber they need without harming their forests. So if they’d joined the Horde, they could have provided the Horde with the lumber in needed, and protected their forests in the process.

Other than the whole shaman thing.

I believe that falls under the heading of “Don’t start none, won’t get none”

1 Like

Elements and Nature are not the same thing.

Literally the first thing Sylvanas and the Forsaken did was betray the people who helped take back Lordaeron. Killing those envoy’s on sight may have been a knee-jerk reaction but can you blame them? Undead claiming to be “free” of the Scourge’s influence trying to waltz right into Alliance territory would never have ended well. Especially not in a post-third war world.

That’s precisely why they joined the Alliance though. The Night Elves were isolationists. They wanted Allies for support without said Allies being up in their grill. The Alliance filled both needs.

Also, the Kaldorei alone were initially conceived as being as strong as, or nearly as strong, as the Kalimdor Horde. Them making enemies out of everyone on the continent wouldn’t be an issue. You can chalk that up to arrogance though.

1 Like

Redo - complete redo.

I think they should take the lessons they’ve learned, and go back to Vanilla and use the new technology to bring everything up to a higher quality.

Already posted A Proposed Revision 🖊 which is my take on a completely restructured WoW storyline from Vanilla to BFA and beyond, while sticking as close to the original material as possible up until the point where it started sucking.

1 Like

A time skip seems a lot better to me. Lorewise this has been stated to actually be the best of the most likely timelines, and pulling logs from the jenga tower tends to result in the universe collapsing or otherwise becoming warped into something unrecognizable. This is exactly what the twilights were up to and why we had to stop them.

On a more meta level, If the game has hit a point where one feels the only thing they can do to make it better is to effectively delete it and start over… why are you playing it? I would rather they fix the issues than try to go back and redo them. BFA was effectively a redo of MoP. Do you want that for all the expansions? I did not think so.

Playing for RP, for me. This way I can avoid the train wrecks like BFA and what will be Shadowlands. I’d much rather them go back and do things in a way that doesn’t tarnish the characters. Now, they have ideas as to where to go long term, so hopefully they can do it better a second time around.

BFA wasn’t functionally a redo of MoP, it was a repeat.

2 Likes

Not for Garrosh…

Seems super thorough - going to read through fully later.

Id choose redo, but only from BfA prepatch onward, dont go that far back, less likely to alienate people, and less jarring to the overall universe.

The problem with something like a time-skip is that you actually have not really repaired any of the damage done to say the forsaken for example. You cant just make people care about characters/make them interesting overnight. Those things especially in an MMO setting take a loooonnnnnggggg time.

2 Likes

I like the idea in theory… but the thing you run into is many of the things that people disliked about BFA play into Shadowlands occurring… so redoing it to avoid them makes the next expansion not occur… which means we didn’t go back… which means they occurred and didn’t at the same time.

Time travel is a paradox-tastic nightmare.

I mean we could just say we went right from legion into SL, then move forward from there, sure you’d have to change somethings about how we got to SL, but overall Id think it would be wayyyyy better, with only a few minior hiccups.

To be clear though, I dont think blizzard would ever do a redo, that would be them admitting they’re wrong, they almost NEVER do that.

I mean to people that point about the story ‘being ruined’ by a redo its already happened, they’ve retconned major points from previous expansions, or made past major story points not matter, remember BfA everyone? How they horde had to ‘find itsself again’, like…really…that only a dance you do once in a VERY VERY VERY long while.

1 Like