Would you be upset if the retconned Shadowlands?

Would you be upset if they retconned Shadowlands?
Like our fight with N’Zoth at the end of BFA took a toll on our minds or something of that nature and it was all some fever dream.

11 Likes

I… well… would I? I honestly don’t even know. The fact that it happened at all is damaging enough. I don’t know if revisiting it in any fashion would be favorable. I think the plan is to forget about it and I have no objections.

9 Likes

If it was done like this, yes.

Retcons aren’t bad, inherently. They’re even required, in some cases, when you’re running a progressive and persistent story of any type.

8 Likes

It wouldn’t be enough, IMO.

5 Likes

IDC how they do it I was just throwing out a random example I thought of on the spot.

Yes. :robot:

yes, i would be upset, since i thought of shadowlands. but nobody likes me or cares what i think and in fact everyone hates me and my ideas and my entire life and probably they hate everything and everyone else in the universe too. so i don’t care what blizzard does anymore.

3 Likes

A more reasonable retcon is to mark the Shadowlands as some sort of limbo rather than an afterlife. Design a bit of lore akin to Eora’s cycle of souls.

That’d take a lot of work, though.

8 Likes

Massive retcons to recent story we literally played through is a no-go for me.

I don’t mind if they’re fiddling with vague background lore to make something work, but don’t invalidate story we actually interacted with.

If it turns out some of the information we learned in the Shadowlands is incorrect or misleading or only applies within the logic of the Shadowlands or whatever, that’s fine. Good enough. But do NOT write off an entire expansion as a “N’zoth fever dream”. That would be incredibly disrespectful to both players and the writers.

12 Likes

they already did, don’t care for it, but it is what it is - video game play it or leave it;

Yes because then we’d need to retcon DF as well, as well as the next 3 expansions without major re-writes

Just deal with Zovaal being real, accept him

5 Likes

Not at all.

Though I would need some guarantees that certain characters are as dust like Arthas.

2 Likes

What they should do is expand on these failed xpacs.

Retconning is a lazy answer to a simple solution. Give us a patch where we go back for some reason and they finish the story and close the book.
I know many would like to finish wod as well.

1 Like

My example was just that an example I’m sure there are better idea’s

What’s SL? Never heard of it.

12 Likes

I think it would be better retconned myself. Its better we don’t know where we go when we die in games.

2 Likes

Eh, there’s some story things that happened that carried forward into DF and now TWW so yeah, retconning would be a bad idea.

However, we can just ignore that it exists and never mention it, or go back there ever again and it wouldn’t change a damn thing.

So in my mind, the gateway between the realm of living and the Shadowlands is closed… Even tho they never actually addressed that and for all we know Icecrown’s sky is still shattered in the lore.

3 Likes

Some of us had this collective nightmare and we sit and have therapy sessions about it here on the forums we decided to call this nightmare Shadowlands

1 Like

If they somehow brought back arthas or have him a proper send off I would be much happier… while also getting rid of the jailers influence

3 Likes

Oh, huh, I just thought it was a weird void dream.

(As an rper none of my characters have gone to SL icly so in case it’s not obvious to people, I wouldn’t care at all lol)

2 Likes