[WotLK] Let's talk Dungeon Finder

Not make or break per say, but more valuable for certain.
Wrath made the daily heroic quest provide badges for the current released tier.
TBC badge gear was always a bit outdated for the current content outside of phase 1, 4 and 5. So in Phase 2 and 3, there wasn’t really any reason to do heroics because there was nothing to spend badges on.

2 Likes

You must be new here.

Fine if we don’t have it at launch because there will be a lot of people looking to do dungeons. Not fine if we don’t have it in later phases. I’m currently playing a hunter that’s recently reached level 70. I can’t find groups to do dungeons and heroics. I log in every day and find myself hard stuck here and there is not much I can do to effectively progress my character.

For later comers to catch up and for people to level their alts.

Not much really.

I am fine with anything that can help me find groups. The current LFG in TBC really doesn’t do that, even on Faerlina horde.

15 Likes

The issue is you need something to replace it and the replacement needs to be good.

Blizzard isn’t good enough to handle this or deliver it to us.

5 Likes

need
/nēd/

verb

1. require (something) because it is essential or very important.
    “I need help now”

Similar:
require
be in need of
stand in need of
have need of
want
be in want of
be crying out for
be desperate for
demand
call for
necessitate
entail
involve
have occasion for/to
lack
be without
be short of
miss
necessary
required
wanted
desired
lacking
called for
essential
requisite
compulsory
obligatory
mandatory

Opposite:
optional

1. expressing necessity or obligation.
    “need I say more?”
    Similar:
    have to
    be under an obligation to
    be obliged to
    be compelled to
    be under a compulsion to
    have need to

noun

1. circumstances in which something is necessary, or that require some course of action; necessity.
    “the basic human need for food”

Similar:
necessity
obligation
requirement
call
demand
exigency

1. a thing that is wanted or required.
    “his day-to-day needs”

Similar:
requirement
essential

No, but going out of your way to befriend people are actively form and run groups might actually be.

1 Like

You can still do this with or without RDF. This is not a counter argument.

24 Likes

Create a cluster of new LFD enabled servers & let the players decide for themselves if they want to play there vs the no-LFD servers.

10 Likes

I’d be okay with this, but it seems a little unlikely. It would require a lot of work from Blizzard, and making feature-specific servers would open the floodgates of people demanding other feature specific servers.

RDF does diminish player agency in favor of inclusivity however, this has an impact on the social aspect of the game in some way. Whether it’s good or bad isn’t for me to say, my opinion on it would only be subjective either way.

5 Likes

I think the real social network will be getting a raid spot into the 6 opening raids. Getting equipped to be able to join those raids shouldn’t be the chore it currently is in TBC.

The issue is is that dungeon finder isn’t preventing you from doing this.

It’s like the people think that if you add dungeon finder you can’t be social anymore and that’s not how it is.

14 Likes

You don’t have to do this. It’s like saying you can still take the stairs, even though you have an elevator. Yes, you can, but being able to choose isn’t always the desirable option.

Of course, people are different and what’s better for some might be worse for others.

To a pretty large extent, yes it does. This is (at least for me) the single biggest difference between Classic and Retail.

To be fair though, I’m not arguing against RDF being introduced sometime during Wrath Classic.

2 Likes

I’m sorry the fact that your opening line is that you trust that >Blizzard< of all companies, knows better than it’s players whats best for it’s game. When they literally have a 15 year track record of “Shoot, we were wrong and we should had done something differently from the start, we’ll try to keep an open mind on this in the future.” then proceeds to continue to make the same mistake over and over again?

Maybe old blizzard had some inkling of an idea of what they were doing, new blizzard seems to be too narcissistic in their own personal idea of what they think wow “Should be” to realize that it’s a unplayable mess that has literally taken them from being the king of MMO’s to barely above water at times.

I’d hardly call them “Professionals” at this point, unless you mean professional apologists for being wrong yet again, and having to come out and admit it, but still never learn from it.

10 Likes

made me feel that blizzard is clueless

it will fix every problem happening in current tbcc “if you or blizzard doesn’t even know those problems? then why would they touch something when they’re clueless about their game”

everything negative about having dungeon finder are already happening in our mega servers.

no one will know if such solution will be good or worse because it’s obvious that it will take time to show it’s real effect but nothing will be better than The original dungeon finder in wotlk.

-final Word, i’m still on my words that i’ll quit wotlk if they didn’t release dungeon finder, NOT because i’m quitting over dungeon finder! it’s because I’m sick of blizzard fail decisions without any anticipating.

16 Likes

The social aspect of gaming these days doesn’t exist in-game anymore. Its in discord. RDF can’t take anything away from in game social aspects, when that social aspect people are looking for has migrated to 3rd party programs.

Taking the stairs is a personal decision. If someone prefers taking the stairs, that doesn’t mean that the elevator should be removed. Leaving both the stairs and the elevator accessible is the only correct choice here.

27 Likes

Well, I’ve never received an angry private message on discord from someone I faced in arena yet, so I’d say not all of it happens on 3rd party programs. :smiling_face:

Careful now, you’ll get in-game chat removed. XD

3 Likes

First of all, congrats(?) on making the community council as a TBCC player. I’m sure it was something you aimed for, and I seem to recall days ago your text was not yellow so, grats.

I’ll answer your questions thoroughly.

I want to quote this because I believe it is a salient fixture of this discussion.

The fact of the matter is that some people are not meant to be satisfied. Blizzard does not make every change with the intention of satisfying everyone. When Blizzard does something like remove RDF, they know that every person who wanted RDF will not be satisfied, but they did it regardless, meaning it was not their intention to satisfy a certain section of players.

This leads me to believe that there is a [unstated] target audience for the removal. A target audience that, for the current devs of WOTLK-C, curries more favour in terms of where they are hoping to go with it.

It might hurt to discover that you are not the target audience of something when you’d very much like it to be, but the answer to this is to vote with your wallet.

So now to your questions…

Sublime. It indicates that Blizzard is listening to those of us who’ve harped on this feature’s negative implications for years and it feels very validating.

The “positives” to me are what I would consider negatives. The basic answer to this is simple because the positives are generally obvious because they are exactly what the feature was built for: to get groups faster and more efficiently and conveniently. It does that, and so those are its positives. My problem is that these are not positives for what I believe makes Classic distinct from retail, that is to say, keeping a lot of the gameplay elements more cumbersome and retaining a lot of that tedium that gives the older versions of the game their particular/unique effort:reward paradigm.

The negatives are that it automates a process that, prior to its implementation, required actual engagement and input from the player. Reduction of input and engagement from the player for any reason, for any activity, is IMO a loss for the “Classic” experience since a vast majority of the reason “Classic” has its own distinct personality from modern retail is in how everything takes a bit more effort or engagement. Convenience is less valued. The concept of “Classic” is a sum of its parts situation, and everything taking more effort is just…part of that.

No.

I don’t really see any point to compromising when Blizzard has already announced a “winner” to this debate right out of the gate. Any compromise for me is just making the game worse to satiate the types of players who…imo Classic isn’t targeted at in the first place, for reasons stated at the beginning of this post.

15 Likes

staring at a bulletin board, whether the addon or LFG tool, is not engaging in the slightest and is rather off putting for a bunch of people. and neither is making a macro that is “/4 Balance druid lfg H MGT” and spamming it every 30 seconds until someone invites you or you spot the elusive tank/healer post in LFG chat looking for the same dungeon and you hope you have the lowest ping while instantly inviting them without bothering to whisper them because someone could have gotten to them first by then.

17 Likes