WOTLK doesn't need RDF

I don’t think Blizzard pays all that much attention to the forums. Do you?

Time you’ve wnjoyed wasting wasn’t wasted.

1 Like

Yeah it’s kind of like saying, you already have lung cancer. Might as well keep smoking.

LFR wouldn’t be until the end of Cata anyway. I doubt many want to play Cata Classic.

I think the term “dungeon boost racket” can’t be said enough. This term needs used much more. Totally going to steal it.

3 Likes

I see it as more of a if you have lemons you might as well make lemonade situation.

For a lot of people the current situation is already no more social than LFD would be but the process is worse. Making LFD a net improvement for them.

1 Like

We’ve managed to flag all your other topics as trolling, just waiting on this one to get flagged too.

Get out of here troll. The majority wants RDF.

I disagree. Cata is when the game significantly changed, not WotLK.

2 Likes

it’s easier in Retail to make friends than classic, and surprisingly WE have LFR/LFD in retail

We were killing the lich king up until the very end. We weren’t even on a big server, but we had two 25 man groups a week plus 3-4 tens.

Our whole guild was stoked and prepped for Cata… then the cata dungeon massacre happened. LFD groups usually died, took two hours, and the gear stunk on top of that. My guild got decimated until Dragonsoul came out because nobody wanted to do daily cata dungeons anymore.

The damage was done at that point. Our numbers never recovered and the paid exodus to high pop servers killed what was left of the server.

1 Like

Merging the 10/25 man lockouts and changing the daily dungeon reward to a weekly reward shared with raids was pretty damaging to my guild in Cata. That actively encouraged raid logging and also killed a pugging raids outside of guild.

Yeah, I can honestly see that interpretation too.

I can see both sides. A lot of people have posted about the lack of social interaction in classic WoW, and I would agree that I am getting much less social interaction in classic than I did when I played og. On the other hand, I have still had many positive interactions in pugs playing classic and I see others have too.

In China we have a fable called “blind men feeling an elephant,” where several blind men stood around an elephant, and after they’ve had a chance to touch the elephant, are asked what they think an elephant looks like. The one that touched the trunk says, “I think the elephant is long and cylindrical.” The one that touched the elephant’s ear says, “You are wrong, I think the elephant is flat and very thin.” The one that touched the elephant’s leg says, “You are both wrong, I think the elephant is thick like a tree trunk.” The moral of the story is, someone may be representing their own experience perfectly accurately, and they’re not lying and not wrong, but they are just not presenting the whole picture due to the limitation in their perspective.

I think what gives some people pause about LFD, is that they experienced a large drop-off in social interaction when LFD was implemented originally. So they are hesitant to repeat history. I can see that concern.

On the other hand, I think the social fabric in classic WoW is much flimsier now than it was back then, so LFD is not going to cause the same degree of drop-off. Doesn’t mean I think it will have no impact whatsoever. It will have an impact, just not as much as it did before, and therefore I think it’s more likely that in today’s situation, the advantages of LFD probably outweigh the disadvantages.

2 Likes

When they added that first LFD patch, it was non stop action for a year. We were either grinding badges for heirlooms, alts doing dailies, leveling other alts… it added so much so fast. On top of that, when we controlled WG we got shards, so it was free honor. Everybody was doing PVP.

I can’t believe they’re taking away what was probably the most successful aspect of Wrath to placate the few people who think server community is still a thing.

Its all about the Dungeon Boost Racket™ because when they added LDF, that was WoW’s high water mark.

6 Likes

Yeah like you guys are worried about dungeon boosting :rofl:

Same experience. I queued with 2 friends as a tank/heal/dps combo. Instant queue pops. Got however many badges we needed then swapped to an alt and did it some more. We leveled alts through RDF too. Wrath was the first time I had so many max level characters and was able to gear them without worry, all thanks to RDF.

A lot of changing happened in cata Which killed WoW, LFR/LFD was not even in the list.
if i’ll name some that would be…

1-hackers
2-the advanced bots which wasn’t only used by gold sellers But it was used by some if not many players.
3-gold selling was more than ever.
4-old azeroth map was ruined
5- classes got major changes in their play style/rotation & talent tree’s became so lame
6- Stat changes and the game felt as if it’s not wow anymore.
7-new raids was annoying to most guilds.
8-pvp was broken as ever as balance failed
9-expansion didn’t even bring new zone like other expansions
10-portals was add to everywhere
11-dungeons and heroics wasn’t fun to play as they was in 60-70-80
12-major changes to the game ui
13-Battle net Store/Shop was add
14-over all Cata is **** compared to the previous expansions
15-many player started to quit in first few months, and the quit train kept going.
and more that i can’t remember now…etc

Apply those awful changes in any expansion among wow expansions & everyone will switch to another game.

I wasn’t asking whether you liked the feature or whether you think it was popular. I’m asking if you believe that, among the people who generally look a late Wrath WoW as being the end of the WoW they knew and the very beginning of what we now call Retail, Dungeon Finder is one of the more significant changes that were made that contributed to WoW’s path to Retail.

It’s almost certainly not the biggest thing in most peoples’ minds (I think that probably goes to LFR), but are you convinced that Dungeon Finder is equally as inocuous to people as the other ‘Retail’ features that I listed?

Whether you actually understand this or not might be the crux of the issue. It feels like people who want Dungeon Finder can’t or won’t understand why there are many of us who don’t want it. And I’m curious to know if this might be why.

I’m not talking about raw data. I’m asking whether you’re personally aware of this perspective and understand it, or if you actually believe that people generally hold Dungeon Finder in league with Dual Spec, Achievements, heroic mode raids, etc. in regards to how significantly it pushed WoW along the path to Retail.

That seems like a very unreasonable opinion. Each time you refer to the sub count “deadlining”, WoW is actually maintaining it’s record highest sub count in it’s entire history. Those “deadlines” were literally the most successful WoW has ever been in holding high sub counts. The first time the subscriber count was ever in decline was after Wrath ended. I don’t know what “lost subs” you’re talking about.

imgur. com/EB2Tzyh.png

Of course I do. Do you think they pay to keep these forums running just as a charitable service for us plebs who enjoy discussing stuff? :stuck_out_tongue: The forums are an isolated platform where they have the tools to comb through every written word and compile it into data that helps them understand the vocal part of their community. Though very spammy, the forums are a treasure trove of community feedback given not only willingly but enthusiastically. This is one of the big reasons why Blizzard devs will often ask people to go to the forums to discuss stuff rather than doing it on Twitter or Reddit. They don’t own those platforms, so it’s impossible for them to intercept all of the discussion happening there, and even if they could, they don’t control the narrative, so much of the discussion won’t even be related to what they would call “actionable” topics.

You’re very right about that. Though I’m a bit skeptical to think that you’ve actually enjoyed yourself since it seems like you’ve spent a lot of this time just complaining. xD

I’d really love to know what you define as the negative aspects of “Retail” because you throw that term around like it’s the devil.

That’s what you’re asking now but that’s not the question you asked me. My answer was to your original question

“In most peoples’ eyes” Not “among the people who generally look at late wrath wow.”

“well liked by most people” If you need me to be more specific, I think most people liked the dungeon finder and didn’t think it was one of the top 5 changes that contributed to wow’s path to retail.

yes

I have no problem understanding why there are some that don’t want the dungeon finder. I just disagree with their opinions why. I find the reasoning faulty. It’s been clearly explained why we disagree with your opinions why you don’t want it. Maybe you’re having trouble understand those opinions.

I am talking about raw data. You keep claiming your opinions are objective. If that’s true you should have some data to back it up. If you don’t just admit that what you post is just an opinion and stop claiming it’s objective.

Well, what would you define as the negative aspects of retail? It clearly has negative aspects, so curiously, which ones come to mind for you?

I don’t use the term in a general sense. My issues with LFD are the toxic decay of community. Not “Path to retail”. So don’t ask me…