World Of Warcraft Now Requires an SSD To Run Shadowlands Expansion

screenrant and yourself are fake news. You can’t force SSD only.
Ironically, I just upgraded, and my new computer has an SSD. Gonna probably uninstall a few things to fit WoW, simply because I really want faster load times.

1 Like

SSD does make a very big difference and it was a priority when I got my new laptop last year. It does sound odd to require it though.

The load times will be noticeably longer (probably an understatement) but I’d be surprised if it was unplayable without one.

A couple of the previous posters are reminding me of my old Apple IIc back in the day. Lode Runner and Oregon Trail ftw.

3 Likes

nobody knows what I’m talking about when I tell them that they have died of dysentery.

11 Likes

I never made it far enough to contract dysentery.

1 Like

I died to dysentry a lot back in the day. It’s too bad more people don’t understand about the Oregon Trail reference of dying of dysentry these days. I’d have a good laugh at that.

I’ve never even played the game.

It’s true that you want as many people playing as possible, but software moves forward and realistically, there’s only so big a window of supported hardware can be. At some point, it becomes unsustainable from a development perspective and you have to start dropping people.

Shadowlands’ minimum requirements puts you back in 2012/2013… I think that’s a pretty reasonable window.

1 Like

I usually died in a river.

Yeah. I’ve never actually played the game, but I know enough about it (hey, FB actually taught me something useful) that I can reference it pretty often without people thinking what I’ve said is awkward…

Until I make the dysentery reference. And then I know they have never played it, let alone talked to people who have either played it or got up to speed on it.

It’s perfectly sustainable, and it works fine. I’m talking about the game specifically saying “you are not worthy of running me”.

It’s a game, not a movie. It’s ok to allow people to play at 1-2 fps. I’d argue they can easily make the game play at 7fps on low end computers effortlessly, by allowing options to turn off fog and shadows.

Even if they don’t cater to people with potatoes, the game should not downright reject players that can run the game from running the game . If they are playing on windows 2000 and don’t have necessary modules to run the game is another issue.

2 Likes

No, it won’t technically require one. The game runs on a HDD just fine, it just loads slow as heck.

A friend of mine still plays the game–and the beta–from a HDD.

Highly recommended but not required. Blizzard should really know better than to put it under the required section. Most folks aren’t that tech savvy.

6 Likes

I mean sure, but if one’s PC is seriously that challenged by running WoW it’s probably worth considering not buying the xpac and putting that money toward an upgrade, because even a $450 Walmart box is gonna perform better.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty weird to have it as required.

It’s required to ease your sanity, but this game (and basically any other one) will happily load away on a 5400rpm HDD.

3 Likes

For many people it’s not about the money.

I guess I don’t get it, then. If money isn’t an issue I have no idea why I wouldn’t upgrade a couple times per decade at least, just to keep things running smoothly.

1 Like

I mean, this pretty much means you just won’t have support relational to longer load times. You’ll be able to pay with HDD, but loading screens will be

Me too. I just sent an order for a SSD as well as bigger memory sticks. Figured if I’m upgrading I might as well go all the way and max this PC out.

They honestly put out requirements yet still runs on those that don’t meet. My processor is an Intel I3 yet runs great! It slows down other apps within the laptop but glad phones exist! You should be fine as long as your computer is healthy and if it runs good now it’ll probably run good with Shadowlands.

2 Likes

One day I’m going to have to update this potato, but I’m dreading trying to get something new to work with my internet and whatnot. So I’m following the age old tradition of ignoring the problem and hoping it goes away >.<

3 Likes

i switched to SSD mid bfa. and the difference is night and day. im never going back to HDD for anything

1 Like