Worgen starting area impossible to play

The whole zone is laggy and certain quests don’t even work. The quest "gasping for breath " is so buggy that most of the people you have to rescue are “invalid targets” and when you do fine one that you can click on it won’t credit it you for rescuing that one. so you cant progress beyond this quest out of this miserable, laggy zone. Im not the only on having this problem. Realm exodar US

6 Likes

That bug is still going? That was happening to me months ago. I guess they just really don’t want anyone to make a worgen

1 Like

Bugs need to get reported in the bug report forum, where QA will look at them.

Never had an issue with clicking on the people but as they float in 3 dimensions, it’s easy to not be in close enough proximity of them to actually have them react to a click. You’ll see similar issues with melee in Vash’Jir.

there is a relatively small section of shoreline that they need to be returned to. IIRC, it’s near the quest giver. Just returning them anywhere along the shore won’t work.

Same here. Experiencing lag issues in worgen starting zone, even though home and world latency are at 37/38. Experiencing major delay in quests being accepted, turned in, the same thing happened to me with the Gasping for Breath quest. I would be inside drowned guy and it would say invalid target, distance had nothing to do with it. Even on the section of beach where you need to drop them off it would take upwards of 1 to 2 minutes to drop the drowned guy and sometimes it would just time out and he would disappear, having to start over again and get a new one.

that definitely sounds messed up

At this point in time, I don’t know if they’re ever going to fix the lag issues in Gilneas. I have started to declare this as a possible problem with the servers rather than an issue with the zone itself, or that the zone is not setup correctly. It is certainly possible that dirty edits were made when they updated zone code.

It seems like the zone simply isn’t being allowed enough resources to handle any amount of players at one time. The issue doesn’t exist on PTR, so the lag HAS to be caused by the zone not being able to support other players for whatever reason.

Gilneas has been borked for years.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t this bad years ago. It wasn’t this laggy during Legion. Of course, time of day and day of week matters a lot when it comes to lag in the zone.

That is really unfortunate. I have been out of WoW for several years and I never remember it being like this. However, I never played on such a large server as Proudmoore before, so maybe this is simply the first time I am seeing it regardless of my many years of leave.

I have started noting a pattern regarding Gilneas and lag. About a week ago, a day or two before the weekly reset, the Worgen starting zone was extremely laggy and quests were breaking. Then on Tuesday, the lag was mostly gone and quests were functioning correctly.

This just happened again this week. For the past couple of days, the Worgen starting zone was once again getting crippled with lag, but now the lag is gone again today.

It seems like there is a memory leak or something going on server-side that is causing weekly performance decay for Gilneas that gets fixed temporarily once they do weekly maintenance.

I really hope this information can help get this issue fixed, because it really isn’t reasonable to force players to play core aspects of the game on certain days of the week, and even then, it could be only a matter of time before Tuesdays become unplayable for the Worgen starting zone too.

Although I like worgen, I don’t roll them any more due to their starting area issues.

I’m going to add to what I’ve said earlier in the thread. I think that there may be a memory leak going on that triggers massive lag once enough players do a certain action in the zone, the certain action likely being a quest or an event that creates some kind of an endless logic loop or doesn’t properly clean up after an event such as the Battle for Gilneas City.

The Battle for Gilneas City is an area I’m especially suspicious of being a source of memory leaks, but it probably could be coming from anywhere, as there are also a number of quests featuring horses and horse drawn carriages, as well as catapults and glaive throwers.

Regardless, I’m thinking the lag is being generated by a player-driven action due to the fact that it isn’t happening on the PTR and that it seems to take a few days before the lag returns on Live.

That would only happen if a particular instance of a zone was active for an entire week and you always got sent to that instance. I have no clue about the probability of that occurring though.

It’s just an apparent pattern I’m noticing, which I’m reporting here to see if it helps get the issue fixed.

I have been consistently getting into lag-infested instances on Sundays and Mondays, and a lot of the complaints about the Worgen starting zone being unplayable come up on those days as well. I haven’t heard of anyone having success with a mostly lag-free Gilneas on Sundays and Mondays.

It seems like the severe lag in the Worgen starting zone tends to not really kick in until Sundays and Mondays. Something about these two days causes Gilneas to break. I checked the zone every day this past week and only started noticing the severe lag on Sunday/Monday.

I wonder if it is due to Arathi warfront, and now heroic warfront?

I have spent the last hour or so trying to get through from start to where you ride with Crowley during Sacrifices quest. The horse kept stopping, pausing for long moments, then move again, then stop, pause. This happened to where the horse was dead before it could reach the barricade and jump over it to the cathedral courtyard! There was enough lag that the worgen ignored me long enough to hearth all the way back to Merchant Square. After abandoning and retaking the quest (had killed the 30 worgen and couldn’t rehorse), the same thing happened this time before the horse could make it around the small courtyard!

I made a Druid a few weeks back, lag also on the weekend and Sunday night, but not like tonight! This was easily five to seven times worse. I asked the few others I saw going thru Gilneas and they also had lag as bad or worse than mine.

This was from a few minutes after midnight until 2 am, PST, Whisperwind server.

1 Like

I wonder if it has to do with phasing? I’ve noticed, at least personally, a lot of phasing errors in Gilneas. Considering it should be a relatively on-rails experience, it’s interesting to see enemies phase in and out while you’re simply standing there.

I haven’t tested a Tuesday vs Sunday kind of experience, but perhaps phases are being stored wrong somehow and overlapping? Like, somehow, each time a player demands a phase, the game fails to deconstruct the prior phases and they start adding up?

This has been happening for quite some time, though it seems to only get worse.

It’s especially bad tonight, as others have noted. 1-7 second delays on every single action. It seems to clear up randomly for short periods as well.

Bug is still here, a whole year later.

aaand another year later… just deleted my worgen and recreated her so i could pick exile’s reach instead. bummer because that’s not what i wanted to do.

Madoran - WM off