Worgen should have been a Class, not a Race

They released worgen when twilight was at the height of its popularity so I’m not super surprised.

2 Likes

Yeah well old lore they were also aliens from another planet that were brought here to fight during the second war, but that lore go scrpped. Your working off of old info my brother.

1 Like

What did I say that was based on any retconned Worgen lore?

Absolutely terrible take. I like having a character who is both a worgen and a druid, just as the average 12-year-old boy who enjoys whatever he thinks is cool likes being able to be both a worgen and a DK. It says a lot that your concept for how they would work as a class is derivative of existing classes, and I can’t fathom what an order of Alliance and Horde worgen in Legion would’ve looked like.

That’s enough criteria for this dev team to make any race playable, obviously. Worgen could very well be considered the first allied race, in a sense, and with later races like untainted orcs and highborne who evolved differently from their Kalimdor kin, let’s not pretend the bar is anything higher than having an obvious hook and a slightly modified or completely new model. Hell, the single most requested race to be playable on the Alliance is an exact copy of blood elves, only with eyes, skin, and hair of one specific color each and a paladin order that doesn’t actually exist in canon.

So your reasoning is Worgen should be a race because…

1. You greedily want it and are too nihilistic or irrational to care about things making any sense at all.
  2. The devs did it, so it must be right. Then you use allied races, which objectively massive failures across the board, as an example of success.
  3. You lack the creativity to see how obscure minor problems like class order halls would be solved for Worgen.
  4. You’re jealous that 12 year old boys get to have fun… I guess?

Sorry, these are just not very compelling reasons.

Cause worgen ARE a race, not just a curse.

The original worgen were summoned using the staff of elune, and they were just pure worgen.

Those worgen then infected night elves and the curse just went from there.

2 Likes

I really want a werewolf rogue that uses claws instead of puny knives. So the spirit of this thread is not lost on me.

2 Likes

Earlier I was criticized for going by old lore. I never actually did that, but that was a criticism lol. So which one do you want to go by, old retconned lore or new canon?

It’s either a curse of the worgen or a werewolf race. Either way no one plays Worgen in it’s current form, and it’s easy to see why.

They’re both…

The old lore still applies. Nothing was reconned.

If I’m not mistaken pure worgen are creatures of the emerald dream, which is why they were originally summoned by the staff of elune by renegade nelf druids.

The weren’t able to control them and then were later infected and turned into worgen themselves.

Archimage arugal then later discovered the curse and experiment himself, to which then it spread to gilneas.

Playable worgen are just unique in that gilneans are still able to revert to human form, but that is only even possible because they were given a special potion that allowed them to maintain their humanity when not enraged.

If not for that, they’d be mindless feral beasts.

1 Like

The “races” of WoW have always been specific cultural groups rather than all encompassing races, which actually works really well for this sort of game. That is why you can have 3 human options; Humans of Stormwind, Humans of Kul Tiras, and Humans of Gilneas.

But don’t worry, this will all be steam-rolled into one boring, homogenous thing soon enough.

2 Likes

I’m not sure where the idea that worgen were a separate race comes from. Worgen was always a druid animal form according to canon lore.

Wowpedia

They sought a solution to the wolf pack form, which embodied the full fury of the wolf Ancient Goldrinn, something the druids had never been able to command, and believed that the magic of Elune could tame its uncontrollable rage. She thus created the Scythe of Elune, which mixed the power of the moon goddess with the wolf form, turning Ralaar and the Druids of the Pack into the first worgen.

The pack form is a druidic animal form that takes the shape of a large wolf. Its power and ferocity embody the uncontrollable fury of the wolf Ancient Goldrinn.

This is the lore discussing how the first Worgen were Night Elf Druids trying to use wolf form as a weapon, and how it became a taboo. The article discusses how Malfurion sealed these Night Elf Druids who were overcome by the wolf form in the Emerald Dream, but these were nonetheless Night Elf Druids first. Nothing about a separate alien race that I can see.

Okay I see…

So worgen are a mix of elune’s power and a wolf druid form.

So worgen are just a magical singular creature created from the curse. It wouldn’t make sense to have them be a class.

That’d be like calling forsaken a potential class.

Or calling ethereals a potential class. Heck even void elves and LFD.

Essentially any race that has magical origins

More like any creature that enters a different ‘state’ than a true-breeding race. Worgen can’t produce more Worgen outside of spreading the curse, ditto with Forsaken. Void Elves haven’t been around long enough to see if the condition is hereditary or not, and LFD are artificial as well. Ethereals assumedly are generated as Ethereals, so they’d be a valid racial option.

All of those (aside from Ethereals, and with Void Elf babies pending) are choices rather than racial origins, and would honestly make sense as class ideas.

No, it’s nothing like that at all. It’s like saying Druids should be a class…

and hey, what do you know, they are.

It’s not the same thing…

Druids turn into various animal forms and use nature magic to fight.

Worgen are just worgen.

They’re just a creature created via a curse. No different from forsaken.

Yeah but a “state” or magically created creature isn’t a class if all it is is that creature.

You’re wrong, it is the same thing.

If you take the mental gymnastics out of it, it would go like this.

Night Elves use Druid magic to fight. That’s Druids…

Night Elves use Druidic magic to become Worgen and fight. Worgen class.

See, simple.

Yes, but you choose to become a Void Elf because there’s a specific thing you do. A Pandaren does not choose to be a Pandaren any more than a Tauren, Human, or Orc. Technically Forsaken don’t choose either, but they’re still a result of an artificial choice and process, being changed humans. Same with LFD and Mechagnomes.

Again, a worgen is a permanent creature.

The curse is meant to be permanent.

Gilneans are able to turn it on and off when not enraged because of a special potion they received.

If worgen functioned like an on and off form thing you can easily manipulate to your will then I’d say you have a point.

But it’s not, it’s a curse that either forces you to turn into a worgen against your will or changes you forever if not treated the way gilneans treated their curse.

Okay, but all those examples are permanently altered to be those forms.

Classes arent like that.

Even the ones that can change your form, dks and dhs, can still have individuals that just appear normal. Minus the frost and fel eyes.

If all worgen normally functioned the way gilnean worgen do after their “cure”, then sure. But worgen arent meant to just be turned on and off. That’s just a gilnean thing in an attempt to keep their humanity.

After infected they’re just like any other creature.