đŸ„“ Worgen Lore - Ask me questions!

Do Worgen retain their strength and agility while in human form? Or are they just regular humans until they transform?

Worgen and the Nightmare :rose:

Are worgen resistant to nightmare corruption?

In short, the worgen resistance to magic is not perfect. We are told that the Lycanthoth Vandals were Gilneans corrupted by the Twilight’s Hammer, and while that could be stated by an unreliable narrator or could simply mean manipulated, we also have the Blackhowl Pack; humans and worgen corrupted by black dragon blood. However, when it comes to worgen and Nightmare specifically, the question gets a little tricky.

Logically, one might assume our connection to Goldrinn may make worgen vulnerable, since Wild Gods can be corrupted by Nightmare, such as Ursoc and Cenarius in Legion. But we also have four “Feral Worgen” in Val’sharah that, while they are in the mindless state, they are not corrupted by the nightmare. These worgen specifically arrived in Val’sharah by traveling through the dream from where they had been banished by Malfurion 9,300 years ago, and did so without being tainted by the Nightmare. Where regular kaldorei druids are vulnerable to the nightmare when dreamwalking, these worgen slept in the dream for over nine thousand years with no side effects. We also have various hints that the Dream was indeed corrupted while the worgen were inside, including the transcript of The Book of Ur, claiming that “worgen come from a land of nightmare, in eternal war with their enemy”, which was confirmed to be Satyr in Curse of the Worgen.

However, it is also worth noting that the Nightmare has a habit of sending people crazy at the very least, and those four worgen - while they were physically fine - were indeed mindless. We also have multiple packs of feral worgen able to expertly use shadow-magic, straight after being summoned from the dream, most notably the Terrowulf and Nightbane. It is worth asking why these former druids took to exploring shadowmagic, not druidism, upon their release, and why they can do so so efficiently. The answer as to why might be the same reason the Feral Worgen were not corrupted, and why they were able to wage war with the Satyr inside the nightmare; our racial resistance to shadow/nature magic is more than just a mechanic. :bacon:

1 Like

Worgen in human form :man:

Are worgen just regular humans in human form?

That is a really good question! And I really wish there was more on it, but there is some. Are worgen in human form just regular humans? Well, yes, and no.

Spiritually, worgen are worgen. The worgen soul is worgen, seen by numerous worgen ghosts, and the worgen body returns to this form when they are slain. The resistance to undeath is retained in either form, as well as their amplified connection to nature. But so too does their magical weakness - Wolfsbane - matter in both forms, as you see the worgen in Northrend in human form require you to remove the wolfsbane plants because they cannot.

Mentally, worgen in human form aren’t entirely human in mind either. The best quote to describe this is Belysra Starbreeze, who says “Your feral side will never truly be at rest. When you are driven to anger, or concentrate with a force of will, the animal within you will come forward. There is no full cure.”. Genn Greymane is a prime example of worgen emotions, and is depicted throughout comics and novels as slightly more easy to anger than the regular human. Not only that, worgen have those instincts to hunt, which grow stronger when they take worgen form.

Now, physically, on the other hand, worgen in human form appear fully human. This perfect disguise allowed the Gilnean Wolf Cult to shapeshift and sneak inside the city to recruit more. In regards to physical strength, we do not have any instances of them doing inhuman heavylifting in human form. We do, however, have feats of agility and awareness in lore. In Curse of the Worgen Issue 1 pg 12, we see some in human form being chased on horseback, outrunning the horse and jumping through the forest, only then turning into worgen.

- https://imgur.com/dGIEHyd - Curse of the Worgen, Issue 1, pg 14

This could just be them outmaneuvering the horseman, but we have another quote supporting agility and stealth in human form.

- It was next to impossible to come upon the archdruid without his noticing, but the speaker had done just that. Fortunately, Malfurion was not one of tender nerve. He simply turned and, to no surprise, found himself gazing down slightly at a human. - Wolfheart, pg. 90
- Eadrik moved as silently as any night elf, no mean feat for a human. He said nothing as they exited the city, but Malfurion noted that he finally relaxed as they entered the forest. The archdruid found it fascinating that a human would be more relieved to be in the wilderness than in a city. - Wolfheart, pg. 91

In addition, there may be some slight enhanced senses as well, considering Genn Greymane sensing Mathias Shaw - the world renowned spy - coming up behind him in a crowd of people during the Legion epilogue cinematic. His nose seems to move ever so slightly, and he need not even look over his shoulder to know exactly who it is. To which, Mathias looks surprised.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WlY4KQqFU

To summarize, when it comes to any physical perks to a worgen’s human form, compared to a regular human, there might be a few. But even so, as lithe or aware as they may be in human form, it is also said that worgen still feel the aches of old ache in human form, but not so in worgen form.

- The hair on the back of his neck suddenly stood on end. Someone was behind him. As with many worgen, Genn more often than not remained in his lupine form. He felt stronger, younger that way. When human, the king felt the aches of age. But being worgen now meant that the one behind him had failed if his attempt had been to sneak up on Genn. Moving with the swiftness and grace of the worgen shape, he turned to meet the potential threat with claws and teeth. - Wolfheart pg. 316-317

I hope that answered your question well! Worgen do not get to do inhuman crazy stunts in human form, as you might see on MTV or other werewolf shows, but there -are- a few things characters can do in roleplay as those subtle reminders that you aren’t human. :bacon:

2 Likes

Excellent information and it did help to answer my question. Thank you!

1 Like

This thread is everything! :heart: I’ve been struggling to find enough information about worgen lore to flesh out my mage’s backstory properly and this is by far the best source I’ve found. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I also have some questions regarding worgen mages specifically:

I know that mages studied in Dalaran, but at what age or proficiency level did they leave for their training? When does the apprenticeship start and would being a mage be a rarity in Gilneas? I’ve often wondered how feasible it would be for the knowledge of magic to reach into Gilneas, what with them being so closed off and seemingly suspicious of outsiders. I struggle with forming my backstory because I am always so confused as to how I can pull off being a low tier mage while also having been trapped behind the wall (essentially being isolated).

I know it must be possible because Arugal exists, but I imagine that the mages and priests of Gilneas probably did their best to fight against the curse in the beginning before Gilneas fell. Then again, how many mages could there have been in Gilneas in the first place?

1 Like

awoo
10chars

Regarding Worgen Mages :woman_mage:

How could they have been trained?

Worgen mages can be a tricky thing. A once good friend of mine is a worgen mage, and has always found it difficult to balance the scholarly class with the savage race. I wish you luck, in that regard. There is also a shortage of worgen mage characters in lore to reference, for a variety of reasons addressed in post 20 if you haven’t seen it yet.

Why do we never see worgen mages in lore? :mage: đŸ„“ Worgen Lore - Ask me questions! - #20 by Raedolf-wyrmrest-accord

Now when it comes to backstory and training, I would surmise that you could “go off to college” at whatever age is fitting for your character’s backstory. When did their talent with magic begin to manifest? When was it realized? How important was it to your character or their parents? But then, as you mentioned, there is the wall to consider.

The wall was built at year 18, and it fell at year 28, so it was standing for about ten years. If Tillis was stuck inside the wall at that time, there are still some possibilities on how to have learned arcane magic. Archmage Arugal and Myriam Spellwalker are two Gilnean mage NPCs that were present in Gilneas, proving there was a mage presence in the country, when it quarantined itself from the rest of the world.

- “That reminds me, someone was asking about you. It was a named Myriam. She mentioned something about you being “ready.””
- “A disciple of the arcane always finds a way forward. I’m glad to see you, (name).”
- “The path ahead is difficult, (name). We must devote the entirety of our mental power to the task at hand. Yet sometimes, that is not enough. Sometimes the situation calls for raw firepower. I know just the spell for such a situation and I’ll be more than glad to share it with you. Once you’ve learned it, practice using it against the Bloodfang Worgen to our west. You’ll only get the chance to use your new spell after casting a different spell.”
- “I always knew you were a quick study!”
- “You’ve learned with such speed and ease. Soon you’ll be the one doing the teaching.”

Two good options would be to have gone to a “school for exceptional children”, as it were, or to have gone into an apprenticeship as if with a tutor. Either are perfectly possible and fit well with the victorian era Gilnean style and culture. In fact, Myriam Spellwalker speaks as if she knows you directly, either as a teacher of many students or a personal tutor, further supporting this possibility. After all, the whole point of cutting themselves off from the Alliance was pride and self-dependence; Gilneas needs no one else. Gilneas firmly believed it could feed itself, fend for itself, and prosper on its own.

- “Damn the orcs, damn the Alliance, and damn you! The last thing Gilneas needs is sponges from other nations drawing from our resources, Dalaran wizards meddling with our affairs, and someone else’s enemies killing our soldiers! Gilneas is its own nation and it always will be. This is the last time I’ll ever talk to you, Terenas, so I hope you were listening.” - Genn Greymane, (RPG, non-canon, but was inspiration towards the canon)
- “I listened to you and Crowley before, and look where it has gotten us! Dead Gilneans, torn apart by those green scoundrels, and now the Alliance, oh, this ‘Alliance’ you were so certain would be a boon to our people
 they want more and more every day. They take and take, but what do we receive in return? Where is the great reciprocity you both were so certain of?! Now they want us to send them gold for that keep
 Nethergarde
. What does that outpost have to do with Gilneas
with my people?” Genn wasn’t in the mood to be challenged. - Lord of his Pack, pg 3
- “We took the hand of the Alliance. We gave it our support, and look what it gave us. As a nation we are poorer, while it reaps the benefits of our contributions
. There were orcs
 bloody, savage beasts. You saw them, what they are capable of
. Now Terenas wants more of our gold. Perhaps more of our blood. Nay, I say!” Genn’s words were spoken with the clarity of a man who had been given a vision. - Lord of his Pack, pg 3

There is also a Gilnean tutor character in lore itself, the long-lost brother of Tobias, Stalvan Mistmantle. Originally from Silverpine forest, he taught at a school in Moonbrook, before becoming a personal tutor
 which is where his story begins.

Dear Noble Sir,
Word of your need for a tutor for your children has traveled to me here in Goldshire, where I take up temporary residence in the Lion’s Pride Inn. Due to the unfortunate state of events in the region, I was forced to abandon my post as Headmaster of the Moonbrook Schoolhouse. Please accept my application to serve as tutor for your offspring. Headmaster Crillian of the Academy can speak to you of my abilities if necessary.
I shall travel to meet you in person when the winter rains subside and the roads are suitable for travel once again.
Until then,
Stalvan Mistmantle of Silverpine
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Stalvan_Mistmantle
https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Stalvan

In conclusion, I would say that being tutored in Gilneas by another mage would be a good path. Much like in lore, having a tutor character in your backstory you apprenticed under can have potential for a dramatic history, depending on your relationship with that mentor, their own motives versus your own, what happened to them, and where they are today. Alternatively, going to a small school for it could be possible, as well as having been stuck -outside- the wall for those ten years. Or, like Archmage Arugal, the character was in Dalaran studying, and moved back into the walled up Gilneas once they graduated. After all, they could have used a portal back to Gilneas.

I hope this helps! I hope the mage character turns out well, and have fun! :bacon:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for answering my questions! This helps me a lot and actually fits into what I wanted for her backstory; I really like the tutor aspect versus going off to Dalaran. I feel that it truly is more Gilnean to do and I will focus quite a bit on this character now that I know where to go. I will keep checking back.

1 Like

How physically imposing & stronger are Worgens? Are they able to stand on a toe-to-toe with an orc and zandalari troll where humans can’t due to physical weakness?

2 Likes

How strong are worgen? :muscle:

Exactly how strong are worgen compared to other races?

What is strength?

Strength really is difficult to say exactly, as it varies between individuals as well as races. We do, however, have bits and pieces that show the prowess of worgen when it comes to brute strength. They excel in several other things that put them above and beyond humans – including agility of elves, speed of mechanostriders, and eyes of an eagle – but we’ll focus on brute strength.

Feats of strength

In Curse of the Worgen, the very first glimpse of the wolfmen is a worgen raising a human man above his head with both arms, and pulling him in half, a feat of strength in itself. Later in the comic we also see worgen tearing a head off a satyr’s body, and a worgen catching and raising another fullgrown worgen male above his head with a single arm. (The average human man weighs 200lb, and Wolfheart says worgen swell a third in height and girth, so a worgen man would be 300lb on average.) Worgen also bust through obstacles such as hardwood double doors in issue 4, as well as glass windows. And last but not least, Genn Greymane stomps on the stone floor in the Stormheim cinematic, and it cracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyh5FKMvVPA

Examples of worgen strength
  1. https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/races/worgen
  2. https://imgur.com/5dgQuJW
  3. https://imgur.com/CXfFUbJ
  4. https://imgur.com/pXMQPF3
  5. https://imgur.com/X3IUr1x
  6. https://imgur.com/cxbjItj
  7. https://imgur.com/yjD0rYl
  8. https://imgur.com/hnyGkKb
  9. https://imgur.com/nv2S358
  10. https://imgur.com/otvZYXX
  11. https://imgur.com/F72A1o7
  12. https://imgur.com/4h7sWUZ

“Racial modifiers”

Another source to consider is the actual Base Attributes to worgen compared to other races, including strength, intelligence, spirit, and more. While I do not necessarily consider it canon, it does show an idea of the difference between races. This chart puts worgen as the third strongest, just under that of Tauren and Dwarves, and tied with Orcs. But it also puts them as the second most agile under Night Elf and tied with Blood Elf and Gnome, and gives them the worst intelligence. Which, considering how agile Sin’dorei rangers can be, and how muddled the worgen mind can be with rage and instinct, this might be accurate.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Base_attributes#Racial_modifiers

Restraining a worgen

But as strong as worgen may be, they have also been restrained in a variety of ways. Alpha Prime and Halford Ramsey have both been restrained by druidic vines, unable to get free until the druid has stopped or fled, and Mardigan has been restrained by magic chains summoned by his father Archmage Karlain. Gilnean worgen and Bloodfang worgen are seen in the comics and ingame restrained in stocks, metal cages, and even a guillotine (though they have also been sedated in each of those cases). So while worgen are capable of great feats of strength, on top of their roof-jumping and super-leaping, they can also be restrained just like most races.

Worgen vs races

As for going toe-to-toe with other races, it’s hard to say! We do have that one example of Genn Greymane slapping Saurfang in the Battle for Azeroth trailer, and Genn going one-on-one with Sylvanas in the Stormheim cinematic, meanwhile Saurfang challenged Sylvanas and lost. None of those cases were strictly tests of brute strength, however, and depended on agility as well. Something Genn could match, and Saurfang could not. Regardless, Genn’s victories in both cases could not have been as easily done as a human, and he would likely have depended on swordplay instead, like Varian.

Thanks for the chance to revisit the topic in greater detail! Thankyou for the question, and I look forward to more. :bacon:

1 Like

awoo

/10chars

Wowpedia update: Worgen :bacon:

Worgen#Culture: Also added section for worgen naming conventions, such as nicknames and taking new names as a worgen. Added

Worgen#Biology: Added a bit on worgen diets and the preference for meat, as well as fish and fruit on the side. Added section for worgen senses including eyesight. Added more to Fire in Weaknesses.

• https://wow.gamepedia.com/Worgen#Diet

Let me know if you have any questions!

awoooooogaa

/10chars

Wowpedia update: Worgen#Diets :bone:

• Worgen are omnivorous,[28] with a strong preference to meat.[29][15][2] Some worgen like their meat raw and fresh from the hunt,[30] and Gilnean worgen hunt boar and deer in packs and on all fours.[31] A worgen’s feral side will never be fully at rest,[4] and some fantasize about the hunt even in human form.[32] Livestock went missing months prior to the attack on Gilneas,[2] and worgen without morals or those struggling for control have been tempted by human flesh.[2][33][15] Worgen in the Alliance hunt for food in a way that the rest of the Alliance cannot, and can feed upon things others could not, but Genn Greymane still relishes the taste of summer’s first fruits.[28]

• https://wow.gamepedia.com/Worgen#Diet

Wowpedia update: Cannibalism#Worgen :leg:

• Worgen without morals or those struggling for control have been tempted by human flesh.[47][48][49]

• In search of his son in Duskwood, Karlain, Revil, and Ambrose spoke to a feral worgen Wolf Cultist, who said he has eaten many young men before. Later at Roland’s Doom, they were stalked by Shagra and Gorfang, who called them meat and food. While Gorfang wanted to share the meat with the pack, Shagra did not, and attacked Karlain and his companions declaring his intent to eat them. Both were killed by Ambrose, who died when the rest of the pack arrived. Later, after Karlain’s son Mardigan was turned into a worgen, he was found drooling over the corpse of Ambrose.[47]

• After the Wolf Cult attacked Stormglen and killed those that resisted, Halford Ramsey recognized the scent of blood from his detective work. Where he should have been repulsed by the scene, he was excited.[49] While Alpha Prime lead the worgen attack on Gilneas, Halford Ramsey saved a woman and child from being eaten by worgen, but in doing so found himself tempted to eat them himself, and was scared off by gunfire.[48]

• In Shadowfang Keep, Bloodfang Berserkers enjoy meat found in piles, and when Ivar Bloodfang tells them to dispose of Baron Ashbury’s corpse, they begin to salivate heavily.[50]

• https://wow.gamepedia.com/Cannibalism#Worgen

Hey if you guys know of any other sources for worgen diets let me know! I’ve been looking for quest text and places in-game especially to support the quotes from the novels and comics. The quests from Sam Trawly were especially helpful @Jawah-emerald-dream. :bacon:

2 Likes

Is drinking from the waters of Tal’doren the only way worgen have been able to de-transform?

Not at all! After the initial transformation, the ability to shapeshift is connected to emotional control. The Ritual of Balance - which the player takes under Tal’doren - is a series of visions that help you out like years of therapy, but it is not required for everyone.

For example, the humans in the Grizzly Hills, the Gilnean spies working for Alpha Prime, and even Genn Greymane himself were all able to shapeshift before the waters of Tal’doren were being used. In contrast, there were those like Halford Ramsey and the player character who experienced great trauma, and needed the ritual’s help. :bacon:

1 Like

awoo
/10chars

“Worgen” page update: Aging, death, and undeath

As with many worgen, Genn Greymane more often than not remained in his lupine form. He felt stronger, younger that way. When in human form, however, he felt the aches of age.[40]
Even in death, worgen still retain their lupine form,[15][34] something Jarod Shadowsong had not expected.[41] The worgen curse is beyond druidism,[34] and worgen return to worgen form upon death.[42] The worgen curse persists through death into the afterlife, and worgen can return during the Day of the Dead and other cases as worgen ghosts. Worgen appear in the Shadowlands, such as Neena in Maldraxxus.
Worgen cannot become Forsaken,[39][43] but can become death knights.[44] The worgen curse makes raising them into undeath far more difficult than it is for normal humans. The worgen curse has roots in both the Emerald Dream (through the wolf Ancient, Goldrinn) and the holy power of the goddess Elune. In addition, those worgen who imbibe the waters of Tal’doren — during the Ritual of Balance[45] — have a further resistance to the corruption of undeath. Sylvanas’ Val’kyr are less powerful than the Lich King and are unable to overcome this resistance and turn worgen into Forsaken, but the powers of the Lich King himself are sufficient enough to raise worgen as death knights.[44] Worgen death knights can shapeshift, such as Grant Lazarby. Forsaken can be cursed to appear as worgen, like Apothecary Berard.
Link

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Worgen#Aging.2C_death.2C_and_undeath

1 Like

After a year and a half, there really is a lot of information on this thread. I just
 have to find a good way to organize it.

Campfire night tonight at 6pm pst! :scroll:

The Wolf Cult will be hosting our origins lore night around the campfire tonight at 6pm pst. All are welcome - Allaince and Horde alike - to come by and listen by the fire’s edge or in the shadows, and learn how the worgen race and the Wolf Cult came to be.
Brightwood Grove, Duskwood. 6pm pst, Wyrmrest Accord.