Wont play if PvP is only option - and other thoughts

Some of my thoughts:

I put in my opt-in on the same day (but earlier) than Boogie2988 (a partnered streamer). He got his access less than 24 hours after his opt-in, while I still sit here waiting for it, and still do not have access to the beta even today.

I got access to the classic Stress test. I had the client open before the start, and once I saw the servers go online, I clicked to create a character and less than a minute, I got an error that character creation failed. For the next three hours, I tried and tried again and again to create a character, never once seeing the in-game world.
Then blizzard said they were done with their test… how?! How can they get an accurate measurement if so many of it’s players never got into the world itself?
Some speculated (some even had proof, so they say) that many of us were purposefully prevented from getting in, while partnered streamers and many their followers were in the world and playing with GM spawned bosses.

I wanted to play too.
I went to bed, tired, fatigued, disappointed that I never saw the game world for the stress test.
Woke and saw that I could get into the world, played to level 5, had a fantastic experience, community was super kind, even grouped with a stranger to tackle a cave, it was great! It was what I expected to experience, and more!

I had written three bug reports during the stress test. I was hoping to be seen as a helpful person and get a higher chance of getting into the beta, but looks like I Was wrong. I still dont have access to beta.

Then stress test over. I still saw it in my game client, everyday tried to log in but was not seeing servers, then at some point it would tell me there were no servers available, and then days later I see a greyed out play button when I have the beta selected. I would check this less and less often over time, still feeling a chip on my shoulder about how the previous stress test was handled, how I still didnt have an email for the beta, nor access to beta stress, and yet, I watch boogie run around almost seeming like he isnt as interested in Classic as I am… and watching him file a bug report with every other word an F bomb, I was quite displeased at his actions.

Checking my email once or twice a week, not seeing an email. Even checked yesterday, still no invite email.

then a friend of mine contacted me yesterday, there was another stress test to come. I checked the beta in my game client, play button still greyed out. Because of my disapointment in how the past stress test had been handed out, and how I still didnt have access for weeks and weeks and my hunger to play only grew more and more, but due to my disappointment in what seems like favoritism given to partnered streamers, I decided I didnt want to bother to look at the details from Blizzard’s websites regarding the next release date for a stress test, so I was unaware of the exact time my friend and I could access the stress test server(s).

when I would look on the launcher, I glance quickly, and have a narrow field of focused vision, and was looking at the lines of text on the top section of the drop down menu in my bnet client. I quickly checked it an hour ago, play button still greyed out, but I see some friends in the classic livestreaming it. This friend tells me I should have access, and he shows me his bnet client, which looked different than what I have been familiar with for years. I said to him I still saw a greyed out play button, unaware that there was a change to this drop down menu since I saw it the other day. A change to what has remained the same for years. I didnt see it, I just never registered in my brain that classic was there (in addition to the beta, but in a different spot). I had to look closer upon additional encouragement from my streamer friend. The menu changed, this stress test was accessible in a “different” place than previous, where I am used to seeing my account names, is now a different set of options. I had no idea, no idea that the classic was accessible for a while today, because of the change to the game client, where things are not where I am used to them being.

I feel that Blizzard poorly handled the previous stress test, favored partnered streamers, and changes to the bnet client confuse me, or I totally dont notice a change.

I know I am not the average gamer, I am unlike a lot of gamers, but I am still a gamer. My excitement for Classic still is strong, but at the same time, I feel let down by how beta (and the changes to where to click to get access) is being handled.

I would have been a good tester, reporting every bug I would have seen, but I was not given access for idk why reason. Sure random invite some say, but I had seen so many players in the streams in the beta, while me and my friends beat hard on that login door to fail everytime to get into the game world… to magically have access after that test was over, and lack of clarity from Blizzard that they were going to handle it that way, or not. And to see numerous partnered streamers get access right away, makes it look like the invites are not random.

I would feel better about this if there was more clarity on what happened last time… if there is, I have not seen it yet and would like someone to show me where I can read their choices and actions regarding the last stress test, and if the access is truly random, or are truly favoring partnered streamers.

It seems like invites were given to partnered streamers, a priority over others who opted in.
I had connected my Twitch to my bnet, but that didn’t seem to help me gain access. My affiliated friend has his net and twitch connected for a while, he too has not gotten access to the beta testing.

I still want to play Classic, but I dont see myself playing on the current PvP classic servers, because I cant handle PvP, it is very bad for my health as adrenaline is like a painful toxic fluid that will flow into my body if I play, and physically (literally) hurts me for hours for incidents that only take seconds to happen. It hurts. I cant do that and feel ok about it.

Will there be a PvE server during this stress test phase?
I would like to play and help report bugs (and not dump f bombs every other word like boogie did).

I haven’t checked my email today (having checked it last night with no invite email in there, nor in spam or trash). I don’t enjoy having to log in, or look at emails, because it irritates me usually, and to not see an invite is very discomforting, and I rather just not look, as it has been lacking an invite for weeks/months since I opted in.

I am irritated that the battlenetapp layout has changed so I didnt see the “World of Warcraft Classic” as an option in my game client, because that line of text is currently sitting where my account name used to sit, so I was unaware that it was there. I have a narrow field of view so I saw it as a line of text. I thought the line of text was the same as it has been for years (which is my account name).

I was wanting to play this current stress test since I heard about it yesterday, but oh oh nope. Only PvP servers. I’ll pass, for my health is important. Thanks anyways.

p.s. I have a bad sense of time, so some of the periods of time are rough estimates

I have alot more to say about this, but meh, I want to get back to watching Twitch, and playing peaceful minecraft. shrug

TL;DR:
Not typing this for the general populous to see, but written to any official employee to look at and to know my feelings and experiences about this. I still want to play Classic, but my motivation to play the current Stress Tests is pretty close to dead.

4 Likes

Why invest so much emotional energy into this? It’s obviously a hustle. Let it go, and never consider a Blizzard beta again. I didn’t even resub. I laughed and excused myself the moment I saw “active subscription” and “beta”. I knew then and there that it was a cash grab, because the people with active subs aren’t even the primary target audience for this endeavor.

8 Likes

My best quick answer for this, I am ActuallyAutistic. Emotional intensity into a topic/thing I enjoy is part of being me. Also part of me is type more than most people, which is often misjudged as a sign of being upset/emotional. I just type a lot… I am disappointed, yet excited about similar subjects.

I am really really strongly wanting to play Classic, and I love to help make it a great experience. Empathy overflowing.

5 Likes

I was diagnosed with this in my youth. I can sympathize.

Who you are is defined more by how you react to your burdens, than by the nature of them. But this isn’t the place for such things.

3 Likes

You’re not entitled to an invite. Get over it.

6 Likes

You asked, I answered. My apologies for going into details, I meant no offense.

I am emotional about this. I want to play classic. I want it to be a great experience for everyone! I would LOVE to help test it, make sure bugs with it get reported, and have fun doing so.

I am also disappointed at how access to the testing is being handled. It seems like it is favoring cash grabbing things, more than actually caring about players who enjoy playing and helping like I do.

1 Like

No offense taken. I understand completely!

I’m disappointed with the whole thing too, needless to say. Hopefully they aren’t going to base expected launch numbers on the how many people went for the cash grab. A lot of us old geezers don’t pay for that kind of thing, because we became gamers in an era where it would have been considered ludicrous.

1 Like

All I hear is someone complaining they weren’t accepted into a Beta.

Edit to add:

Never said I was entitled (that’s a meme, popular accusation, I dont do that). I hope.

I wont disagree, part of my post is doing that.

Edit: post formats still confuse me sometimes, still used to the old ways.

Unfortunately, opting in does not guarantee a beta invite. They’ve said they had enough people and weren’t doing any ore invites at least for the time being but that could always change. There are a lot of people that don’t have it as they want to keep it small.

The stress test will be up for 48 hours and while they had a focus on the 1st 3 hours because they were testing specific things, they still want us to play and give feedback.

The blues did post about today’s test and the changes to how to access the stress test under live - it was in a sticky - so just be sure to always check the blue posts. I find using blue tracker on main page to be very helpful.

EDIT: They said there will be 2 normal servers up overnight so recheck.

1 Like

I know.

I’d like to, but I cant play if PvP is the only option (health reasons).

Thank you. A tracker, I hadnt thoght of that. There are sooooo many blue posts, that dont relate to I am looking for, feels like wasted time to go read everything. Thanks this should help me, I appreciate it.

2 Likes

This specific stress test is capped at level 15, so the PvP server doesn’t matter, because you won’t be seeing PvP anyway unless you specifically wanted to.

Regardless, they already opened up more servers if you look again, there are 2 PvE servers.

As for the rest of it, yeah it can be disappointing to not get chosen for something, but the testing is for blizzard, it is not for us. It’s honestly not relevant if you didn’t like how the stress test was “handled” because blizzard is conducting their “test” they are testing specifically what they want to for their own reasons. The test is not designed to give you an opportunity to play the game how you want on your own terms, the test is to give blizzard specific data they are looking for.

2 Likes

Your post certainly seems to indicate that you feel you are.

It was an obvious cash grab to get people to sub as soon as it was announced. They waited until everyone had subbed and then said “don’t sub expecting access to the beta”. They waited a REALLY long time to say it too. After the cash was in their pocket. Now people will stay subbed hoping they’ll get it anyway because of sunk cost fallacy.

As far as PVP though, the level range means it shouldn’t matter, you’re not going to be in contested zones.

Oh! they did, thank you so much! I had no idea.

It would be nice to have a little clarity, but I can kinda understand the logic of not telling us (beforehand) if they were testing the login and not actually letting us in. I wouldn’t be so disappointed if they admitted afterwards that preventing us from accessing the game world in the first three hours was intentional, but I never saw them say if it is was intentional to not let us in, or not.
Lack of clarity is a bit unpleasent.

What it seems to you is not what it is. To be “entitled” is to actually expect/believe to be let in, I do not “expect” to be let in, I “hope” to be let in, but to expect it would be to be iron clad set on getting in 100%, which I am not, nor ever have been, and is a bad thing, a very bad thing I will not do, I am not a selfish jerk living off fantasies.

Hope is not a guaranteed 100% entry. Entitlement is expecting 100% entry, there is a big difference between the two.

Hope. I hope.

Seems like that to me. I am subbed anyways. I occasionally like to enjoy current content and raid with my guild.

This stress test will be accessible to anyone with an active World of Warcraft game account in the Americas & Oceania region.

The stress test goes until Friday 2:00pm Pacific. If you subbed you have access to the stress test. Back out to server selection and see the options, they closed some servers shortly after start. Two pve and two pvp servers available now.

1 Like

It was a response to the OPs comment about the beta early in his post. Not the stress test.

1 Like

Oh ok, my mistake. I did not read the initial wall of text.

Exactly. The way you phrased your original post made it seem like you expected to be invited for the reasons you stated.

Otherwise, I don’t really see the point in telling people you’d be a good tester, you reported 3 bugs during the stress test, and that you opted in before boogie.

You and millions of others. Join the club.

Ok, many, many, many people who want in the beta aren’t in. Many of us have been playing since 2004 or 2005 and still haven’t gotten in the beta. It’s just the way it is. I’m not upset like so many on here are about it. Disappointed? Of course, but not upset by any means. And it’s not only streamers that are in the beta. A friend of mine has been in since the beginning and he’s not a streamer.

Also, they have opened two more stress test servers. Not all are PvP.

1 Like