Wintergrasp is in a laughable state

Just did my first WG, I was sure people were just exaggerating. They weren’t. What a garbage tier experience that was, it is barely playable.

And I’m not talking about FPS either.

Do we have any communication from Blizzard about this at all? The lag is unbearable.

At least I got a good laugh out of it.

5 Likes

Man you aren’t kidding. Everything was fine at first, but toward the end when everyone is bunched together it’s not just a fps drop issue, there is a solid 10-25 second lag for every action.

3 Likes

Amazing that Wintergrasp was better in 2008 with dial up internet and a Pentium 3.

20 Likes

The lag is honestly inexcusable. It’s sad that they thought this is okay.

The game usually gets playable around the 3-4 minute mark, but it’s still not great.

Not sure what idjit thought that 120 vs 120 on a server running on a potato was a good idea.

4 Likes

It feels like I’m in 2006 lol. At first I thought it was my PC then I came here and saw all the complaints. Definitely on blizzards end.

REASON NUMBER 7 WHY THE OG GAME ENGINE WAS A BETTER CHOICE THAN THIS RETAIL TURD.

Sorry for my angst here, but I was pushing hard for the OG Client / game engine structure because of the following primary reasons.

1. Game does not need bug fixes for issues that are manufactured by Blizzard 2022 if we used the old ATR servers that were shut down with WoD (retail patch 6.0).
  2. Blizzard’s long list of questionable changes would not be in it.
  3. All the class mechanics would work properly…
  4. The big bug report would be an order of magnitude smaller… See here below.

Some advice from an mostly former eve player (still hop in once a while).

If you are sure you pressed the button…wait for effect. 40 presses is load on top of load. It will come.

think seconds into the future. that dude at 11 o clock to you now? Yeah…he ain’t there. focus more on 3 o clock or 8 o clock for placables like death and decay. go left or righ based on how you saw them head in a direction.

try to find humor in lag deaths. I’ve had many lmao lag deaths in eve. when you jsut lost a 500 million ship to lag you got 2 choices.

Cry.

Or laugh…to not cry.

2 Likes

how is it so bad? i thought we had the best possible hardware ? why is wintergrasp so unplayable? any arguments

1 Like

Apparently details is a major culprit of all the lag being experienced.

Disable details in wg and it makes it a bit better.

I would guess it’s because they massively increased the playercount in each WG battle. I don’t know for certain if this is the culprit, but I do know that one of the reasons they use layering is because of service degradation when a LOT of people are clumped up in a small (relatively speaking) area. Now on top of that, factor in that this is all happening cross-realm, I would bet that it just complicates things even further.

My guess is that the eventual fix will be to reduce the number of players on each team and have it be a bit more like OG Wintergrasp.

Are you guys talking about the final pushes into the keep? It was always absurd. Frames per second turned into seconds per frame. It was glorious.

1 Like

yah they somehow made it worse than original wrath wintergrasp

There is nothing glorious about a 5 second delay because of lag.

This WG is playing worse than the original and that’s a problem.

1 Like

It is 2022. What is this Wintrergrasp nonsense? Do you not have any pride in your product Blizz? Wow.

1 Like

We did a game last night where the Horde burst through the main door at 10 seconds left. I’m pretty sure they won, my friends on discord were pretty sure they won, my fellow Alliance players around me were sure they won. The several dozen horde moon walking like MJ in place heading for the gold orb were certain they won.

But alas 20 seconds later everyone zipped into place and we were victorious in lagging less than them.

1 Like

No worries, soon we will get a blue post about how fixing this issue is impossible by both a hardware direction and a coding direction, because they were allocated a total of $5 to fix this issue and all it could pay for was an intern making a paragraph about how difficult fixing things is.

2 Likes

I’ve won two wintergrasp fights today. And never got the wintergrasp buff for either. :^)

It wasn’t supposed to be with so many people. It wasn’t supposed to be instanced. There weren’t supposed to be single faction pvp mega servers. There weren’t supossed to be changes from retail devs.

1 Like

But WHY is this TRUE!!!

1 Like

Im not surprised. Blizzards servers can barely handle 40v40 epic battlegrounds on retai. Anyone remember the battle of nazjatar during BFA? That was a zone about the size of wintergrasp maybe bit larger and you could fly in that zone once you finish quest prerequisites. They cant handle large populations of people in a single zone

1 Like