Windows Media Player substitute needed!

So, I have use WMP for YEARS. I know, I know; I’m probably the last dude on earth still using this dinosaur.

But it’s just so good.

It organizes my library like no other, and my library is massive. We’re talking nearly 500gb of just music, and half that again in video. It gives me super-simple syncing to my phone, and until now, has kept all my metadata up-to-date; giving me track, artist, and album info & artwork without me needing to ask.

Aaand that last part is the problem. This feature is no longer supported; and this is a huge problem when you’re talking thousands of files. This has motivated me to finally try to find an alternate. The thing is, I’ve been unable to find anything that does all the things WMP does.

VLC is a no-go. It’s fine as a media player, I suppose. So is my old CD player. That’s all it does, though.

MediaMonkey seems to be closer, but the interface is very dirty, and getting metadata is just a chore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I raid tank much, much better with Mastodon or Baroness or Sick of it All egging me on.

There are a ton of plug-ins for VLC to help you organize your library.

VLC is super-configurable.

However, im not 100% sure of any all-media applications that will do what you want other than modded VLC.

Plex is great for movies/video files, but if it does music im not aware of it. There are great music player/library apps out there, but they dont do video, etc.

Someone else may have more insight into that than i do, but ive never had any issue just using VLC.

My media-organization is handled at the storage level (my media files are obsessively sorted into the appropriate folders, sub-folders, etc. ) and i just navigate those and play what i want via right-clicking (on Mac, PC, and ChromeOS) as my non-audio media is stored on a NAS (that i can remote connect to even if im not at home). My audio media is handled via iTunes (soon to be deprecated back to being the just-music Music app, at least on MacOS), and then mirrored/uploaded to GooglePlay music (they have a handy app that automatically watches your iTunes folder and playlists and mirrors them in the cloud) for both backup and ease of use on other devices (as i can then access all my audio media on any device capable of accessing Google Play Music via a native app or browser, which is pretty much anything).

1 Like

Hmm. I may need to give VLC a deeper look.

I also use Google Play; though mostly at work via stations, although I’m aware I could upload my library to it. I haven’t done so because it seems pretty daunting to upload over half a terabyte.

Still, good suggestions, and I thank you.

Was going to suggest WMP Classic, but it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that you describe in your OP.

I noticed that Winamp has made a comeback, maybe that would work for you? It has playlist functionality, plugins, etc. Just make sure you get it from the official site, as apparently they were forced to update the software because of some unofficial versions floating around that had dubious stuff packaged with it.

I used to use Playon,it looks like Playon Desktop would do all of that.

I hadn’t heard. I’ll have to revisit this little blast from the past, thanks.

I’ve…never even heard of this one. I’ll definitely give it a look. Thanks!