Windows 8.1 in 2021

Curious, who do you know that still uses 8.1 in this current year? Still has extended support till 2023.

May want to try reuploading it and see if there’s a performance difference in SL

Everybody I know jumped ship for 10 pretty much immediately. I think there’s probably more hacked-into-modernity Win7 holdouts than 8.x users. In terms of reputation 8 is for practical purposes the Vista of the 10’s.

1 Like

I suspect that 8.1 users at this point are mainly corporate. At my last job we kept using Windows XP up until late 2013, about 6 months before before Microsoft pulled the plug on XP support. We switched to Windows 8; they were using 8.1 when I left 4 years ago and I would bet they’re still using it now.

For the software development work we did, switching to a new major version of Windows meant switching to a new version of Visual Studio, and switching versions of a bunch of other tools as well, and that meant making all kinds of software updates to accomodate changes in the tools and a ton of regression testing to make sure nothing broke as a result. Nobody wanted to go through all that voluntarily - we only did it when someone like MS forced our hand.

Shadowlands is so trivial to run it seems like it would be hard to tell any difference on any config. I mainly play on a Ryzen 7 1700 and GTX 1660 ti at 1440p high detail, but I also regularly play on a second system hooked up to my living room TV that is a sickly old FX 6300 and GTX 960 4gb that I run at 1080p good detail. Both 75hz lock reliably, one thing WoW got going for it is being 17 years old. Don’t know how you would generate a really useful Win 10 vs Win 8.1 comparison, even just doing like a skybox test still probably a lot of interference in performance from things you can’t see, am I running 1 fps slower on this config because it genuinely is 1% weaker or is it tracking 1% more player data this run? It’s why MMOs aren’t in professional benchmarker suites.

We are still using 7 especially for the presses. They are slowly starting to update things to 10 but we pretty much skipped right over 8.

Windows 8 was a watershed for Microsoft. That’s when they began to realize that Windows OS was a commodity item. I remember being shocked when they offered Win 8 upgrades direct to consumers for $39 or $49 during ‘beta.’ I made sure to upgrade the Win 2000 and XP on my computers.

Tried to use the old key to reinstall 8.1 recently on a spare parts computer but sadly Microsoft now says it’s an invalid key. The other 8.1 license was upgraded years ago to Win 10 on one of the computers I use now. I’d expect it WoW to run slower on Win 8.x than on Win 10 anyway.

I hate it when people say this - there’s a huge difference in performance on powerful hardware and potato hardware in this game.

Yeah I don’t mind that it finally clicked with MS that they weren’t going to be able to squeeze $120+ out of users every few years, that part was good. It was the rest of Windows 8 that was vociferously rejected — the Metro UI theme, the Start screen replacing the Start menu, and general phonification. Lots of parallels between Vista+7 and 8+10 in terms of MS attempting a large UI/UX change, those changes flying like a rock, and then having to backpedal it in the next release.

1 Like

Gonna be hard for some new hardware. Drivers will be difficult.

Microsoft still allows you to get the installer though.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Not picking on you, Chroesire, but did they jump ship because they wanted to, or because Microsoft pushed a stealth patch that would eventually upgrade 7, 8, and 8.1 machines to Win10?

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2922604/microsoft-re-re-re-issues-controversial-windows-10-advertising-patch-kb-3035583.html

Yep, still annoyed at that. Yep, I’m that kind of person. And yep, I still use 8.1.

Personally I jumped to 10 as soon as the free upgrade was available. I don’t regret it, mostly.

Yep I remember, and it was all over all the tech news websites at that point in time, usually with links instructing how to avoid the update. I doubt many technically competent people who didn’t want to upgrade to 10 got upgraded to 10 — the vast majority of auto-updated machines likely belonged to less technical users.