Windows 11 and DX12 creates rainbow glitches

I have noticed this issue with any software using DX12 while running Windows 11. Windows 11 does not play nice with DX12. In WoW specifically, it was causing me random graphics glitches in the UI, world textures, instance textures, and player textures. These often appeared as rainbow effects or 8-bit style checker boards, also in a multitude of colors. Reverting WoW settings back to DX11 resolved all issues.

I realize this is not likely an issue with WoW but more with Windows 11 and DirectX. I felt it needed to be documented anyway. I did not see this specific issue anywhere when I tried searching these forums.

2 Likes

I suspect this to be a local issue, not an OS or game issue. Mostly because I’ve been running DX12 mode since it was introduced to WoW, and Win11 since a day or two after it was officially released, and never encountered this on two different graphics cards.

Tech Support would be a better avenue for diagnostics and possible solutions but I’d be looking to scrub your graphics drivers with DDU and start over to rule that out as a source, and possibly even run a system file check (SFC and/or DISM) for good measure to check your DirectX libraries.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue. Setting up a macro for /console gxRestart is what has worked for me when I did some digging on Reddit. Hope this helps!