Windows 10 1903 update

Anyone else having problems with the recent update?

The basic windows 10 desktop front page (the blue default one) is very bright now and the apps on the side look washed-out. I tried changing the display settings and it only suggests changing to night-lite mode, making it look orange. I tried device manager - display adaptors to update my graphic card’s drivers and everything should be up to date. How do I make my desktop look normal again? (dark) I don’t think its a monitor issue or should I just re-vert back before the update? UNLESS the new (blue) homepage screen is supposed to look like this.

Also, has another ever used “Advanced system repair tool”? Some of my issues will supposedly be resolved by using their cleaning service, such as slowness. Is it legitimate?

I haven’t noticed any problem with Windows on my own computer in a long time, and I check Windows Update daily.

1 Like

I’m having problems too with windows 10

Sounds like it’s switched to limited dynamic range. NVidia likes to default to this on a number of HDMI screens, for reasons I honestly can’t figure.

If indeed you are using an NVidia card, and this is what’s happened, it’s easy enough to fix. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, go to the Change Resolution option, scroll down, and change the Output Dynamic Range to full. Should this not help on its own you may also need to change the Output Colour Depth to 12bpc (I used to have to do this, but not recently).

Worst case, should that still not work, Madshi (the same guy who did the MadVR video output renderer) has a tool called the “madNvLevelsTweaker” which can be more effective in doing exactly what the above should.

Of course, it may not help. And if you’ve got an AMD GPU than it clearly won’t be possible, though they may have the same or a similar setting elsewhere.

The option to revert back the 1903 might not have positive results either. It’s better to re-install from scratch for the least amount of problems.

There’s an Nvidia dithering hack that really helps a lot too. I don’t know what the status of it is Windoze, Nvidia broke it at one point but it works wonders in Linux.

AMD cards by default have those features turned on so you don’t have to worry. You can change the options in Win10 control panel.