Will your character ever retire?

And if he/she does, what would they do?
or do they reject that idea of retirment?

I had a main once who used to dream of settling down in a cute little cottage in autumnal Azsharra. This was before the Cataclysm revamp, in addition to 4 apocalypses and 2 major faction wars ago.

My characters don’t expect or plan for retirement now.

Depends on her Queen.

If Sylvanas Windrunner ever becomes a loot pinata, then my character will be an NPC in the last pull before Sylvanas Windrunner.

If Sylvanas Windrunner continues to live, then my character will resume in her duties as her personal bodyguard till the day my character can’t perform her tasks properly anymore. She will be checking the barracks and the training grounds as an anointed retiree after that.

It’s the soldier’s life for my character.

1 Like

My old main actually is retired. One thing he has learned: You don’t get to retire in Azeroth.

Sure, he has Zen’Kisin as an apprentice to replace him. But it is pretty hard to relax at home when there’s a massive Old God war or Legion invasion every year.

He’s not in the best of health due to his age and old wounds from past battles but you don’t get to sit out global alien invasions or a massive demon sword the size of a celestial body slamming into the planet.

So while he’s technically “retired” he’s using that retirement to do his part in Silithus right now.

1 Like

Heh, I’d need to actually do something with them before I retire them. As my character list is currently full, I’m definitely not opposed to the idea.

He already did once. He spent most of Cata through Legion counseling newly risen in Death Knell, teaching alchemy and ‘living’ a relatively quiet civilian life.

Which totally has nothing to do with me not playing those expansions and thusly kinda needing a reason for my character to be as ignorant of the content as I am.

But then the Burning Legion invaded and that’s not really a fight you can sit out. Then the Blood War happened and now there’s this N’Zoth thing - both of which kinda forces his participation. At this point he has an inside joke with Forsaken, ‘Only in death does duty end’.

1 Like

Looks at her own body

Even Geralt of Rivia would have an easier time retiring, so probably not

Although assuming Zirahael did try to retire; being a cursed, demonic, immortal half-demon with multiple demonic entities trapped inside of her; it would probably make a great premise for a comedy.

1 Like

I doubt many of my characters would retire from what they do; at least not entirely. For many of them, the way I have them written, they’re either so married to their work that they could hardly consider anything else; or they’re in a position, physically mentally or emotionally, where it would be better for them to carry on until death.

There is perhaps one case I have of a pseudo-retirement. One of my civilian characters, Phylande Lightriver, is a writer but the burning of Teldrassil, and subsequent destruction of Darnassus, has robbed her of most of her work, new and old. Due to now having greater priorities, and a lack of place to work anyway, she has effectively stopped working altogether.

In earlier times after the incident she began writing and handling letters and similar documents for other refugees; helping them get in contact with friends and family. At this point she may be looking into finding new places to live.

Were she to officially retire I assume it wouldn’t be particularly glamorous; just lounging about at home. Maybe she might look into getting over her fear of guns.

It’s far from over for him, but he probably won’t.

For my character, striving for perfection has no end. There’s still much to learn about augmenting his body to be stronger and more efficient. Always much more to research about the arcane.

Since he’s also joined the 7th Legion, as long as the Horde exists there’ll be no peace. Without peace, he’ll be employed in developing weapons and new tools of war for the Alliance for a very long time.

Vencio has momentarily withdrawn from Stormwind & currently resting in his small farm with his lady & gilnean pet in the vast green lush land of Western Plaguelands. The war has taken a toll in him, he could careless now more than ever the N’zoth conflict & contemplating to enrol on a more civilian duty & retired from Stormwind’s forces.

((In reality I am fed up with 8.3 & just remaining idling till Shadowlands, therefore I am on hold))

“A house in the hills four miles away from the gates of Silvermoon city, a simple place, leaves that fall year around and blow off into the beach, kitchen, and garden that smell like herbs in the mid-summer. Silver leaf in the fall; growing wild plums, cherries, apples, pears, soil of amber and brown that smell is heighten after the rain, dried horse droppings that turn the soil black like my father’s hair. They run up and down the beach making the ground shake as they eat wild oats, fruit, and seaweed. Where I could have children and find a strong hard-working man to help me raise them and the horses."

Chapter 6 of Perfectia Dawnlight’s diary.

done with mercenary work with either age or just flat out had enough of it.

hawke here would just use what ever money he had left to build a inn that he can bartend and probably serve food and beds to folks who need it.
while also giving advice to new adventurer’s to help on there journey’s.

Probably most of my alts would retire. The merchant life that most share can make a nice sum for it. My mains like my hunter will never stop traveling but might change to only peaceful places when they retire (Plug for my RP event group! ~https://discord.gg/HFmcR28~). My DH might retire to be a wine taster in Suramar or to the libraries of Dalaran. Last my mage will probably go stay with the druids where ever they roam in nature.

I had a former Scarlet-Crusader character that retired sometime during WoD to settle in Gilneas.

I was in a large RP guild for a while that surrounded this idea of re-settling Gilneas under a colony-charter model and my Scarlet Crusader ended up earning a low-level nobility status through it and also married this other person’s character who was a noble-blood from the Hillsbrad area. Prior to that, his only noble relation was a Gilnean uncle who disinherited his niece, my guy’s mother, for moving to Lordaeron to marry a commoner.

He has two sons said-wife abandoned so I just imagine he raises them in Gilneas and lives quietly doing pointless noble things like fox-hunting.

It depends.

Drahliana is most likely to be “retired” by a Horde bolt or arrow
 or in fighting mass numbers of same.

Arabareena is most likely to retire by an immense ground nuke fireball
 and taking out a large group of enemies at the same time.

Warcraft it seems to me is the kind of world where very few of our characters will get to die in bed.

Sella went into semi-retirement for a bit after the Legion was defeated and started a town on AU Draenor for anyone who wanted to get away from the faction wars. She ended up coming back after N’Zoth showed up though, pretty much under the unspoken agreement that she was only there to fight him, and not the Horde.

Eventually she wants to get back to her Draenor town, though she’ll likely find out about some issues over in the Shadowlands she needs to help with before that can happen this time around.