Will wow ever not be cpu bound?

Specifically single core bound? Or would they have to change the entire engine?

WoW’s engine still uses a “main” core while doing a better job offloading onto the other cores since patch 8.1. So it’s not as “bound” as it once was.

I just got a 3060 ti from a 1060 and didn’t see as big of a frames jump as I had hoped. I’m assuming it’s because of my i5 9600k

Should have seen some good improvements imo

I went from a 5700xt to a 3080 and it was immense

but some places just don’t perform well, like cities and very densely populated areas.

other places, like the new zones out questing, your GPU can stretch its legs more.

Are you playing at 1080p/60?

1 Like

like sal said you should have seen improvements. The 9600k can handle WoW especially when you OC it.

What FPS did you see with the 1060 and with the 3060ti
What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?
Is ray tracing turned on with the 3060ti?
Did you have the graphic settings on level 10 with the 1060?
Is your FPS limit set at default (100fps)?
And finally
Who did you have to black mail to get the 3060ti?

1 Like

Glad I read this I’m gonna have to check my settings. I’m running an AMD 5600x with a 5700xt and I was figuring more than 100fps on a 1080. Makes me wonder if I have it limited down because it pretty much is locked on exactly that and never moves up or down.

It’s an older monitor though so that could be the issue.

There is a max framerate limiter in game in the settings. If you have VSync on, your FPS will also be limited to certain values to match the refresh rate of your monitor.

2 Likes

Yeah I have that one turned off.

It’s just kinda unavoidable in gaming workloads, I think. Gaming workloads are reactionary. The game need to wait for your input before they’ll know what to do.

In WoW case the cpu will need to react to the server too. And it’s a big chunk of commands when there are a lot of other people.

An upgrade to graphic card should still give you fps boost though. As I understand it. WoW is cpu limited. But it’s not a hard cap. You should still get fps boost unless you’re pushing it to 120 fps or something.

2 Likes