Will WoW be playable on the Steam Deck?

Feel like leveling an alt while chilling in bed would be a very relaxing way to play.

I asked that question yesterday. Sounds like ā€˜noā€™.

Personally, Iā€™m pretty dubious of that answer.

Yes, the CPU in the Deck is ā€œcustomā€ in that itā€™s not something one can buy off that shelf, but itā€™s not that bizarre. Itā€™s a Zen 2 CPU thatā€™s in the same family as the Ryzen 3000 CPUs you can buy freely, except itā€™s got a few GPU cores stuck on it. The RDNA 2 GPU cores are in the same family as the Radeon RX 6000 series, so theyā€™re not weird either. Furthermore, the current generation Xboxes, which run a gaming-optimized variant of Windows, use a very similar CPU (Zen 2 + RDNA 2) with the main difference being the level of power. I would be very surprised if the Windows Radeon drivers donā€™t support the Deckā€™s integrated GPU, because itā€™s functionally the same as a RX Radeon 6000 series card.

Iā€™m also dubious that itā€™ll be necessary to install Windows at all. WoW has run under WINE/Proton quite well for a long time now, with minimal performance loss. Thereā€™s no reason to think itā€™d be any different in the case of the Deck.

Now of course, you arenā€™t going to be able to run retail WoW with super high settings on this thing, but I think it should be able to push medium settings at its native rez of 1280x800 at a solid 60FPS in most areas. Itā€™ll almost certainly be able to run Classic with maxed out settings no problemā€¦ even the Tiger Lake iGPU in my ThinkPad X1 Nano can do that much.

1 Like

Not being a techy, if itā€™s anything like the Max M1 chip; it should work. Obviously the OS is important.

That being said Iā€™m not a tech person. All I know is my mac runs Wow and FF just fine. Then again itā€™s set up for photo and video editing so the power is more than enough for these games.