Will there be a Cataclysm Classic?

I think there might be, simply because there is some profit to be made with MoP further down the line.

9 Likes

expansions stopped being classic era at a certain point…i don’t think cata played the same as those earlier installations of the game.

are those classic players even interested in cata? isn’t that when they started to fall off? i haven’t seen many asking for this…

i have seen requests for classic+ though, so maybe they should start re-imagining classic WoW. or they’ll lose that audience too :100:

1 Like

I’d play Cata classic again just so I could quit Cata twice

10 Likes

Seen some threads made on the topic on the classic forum before. Some interest in it. Every expansion can be considered a classic in a way. I mean they are always making changes every two years when an expansion ends to get ready for the new one, so you are not really getting the original experience when going back and playing from Cata on up. Xp changes, the level squish, difficulty etc. Scaling could probably get it close to the way it was I guess, but this is Blizz, and they don’t have a great track record when it comes to trying to scale content lol. Dungeon, raid content they are decent I guess, but for everything else when it comes to scaling they fail miserably imho. Heck wrath classic isn’t even like original wrath, with no rdf planned on being added, and they added a mythic version to the dungeons, called heroic+ or something lol.

2 Likes

I have to imagine that many of the people who enjoy classic would rather just do a Seasons of Mastery type thing instead of Cataclysm Classic. But there’s probably still some smaller audience for Cataclysm Classic, and there would at least be some audience for Mists of Pandaria Classic or Legion Classic.

4 Likes

Some time ago I talked about the problem of the future of the classic and the next expansion in the other subforum.

The problem here, we reached a point where bad expansions start, of course it’s not worse than WoD, and Shadowlands, although at least it’s not a liar like honeymoon of the Wokecraft’s: Dragonflight.

But unfortunately Cataclysm is not liked by many people due to revamp, dungeons and raids that disappeared forever like Zul’aman and Zul’Gurub (which in 4.4.0 we won’t have a little experience before phase 2) and water zone, and other things that began to decline not because of the poor quality of the expansion, but because of the lies that Blizzard did not promise in this expansion.

But nevertheless it seems that Blizzard will have 2 options when mentioning that after WotLK they will try to get the community to decide their next expansion, things that there will be 2 possibilities.

1. completely ignore the expansion and skip to MoP or Legion which are the ones chosen for after WotLK.
  2. or open MoP but to flatter the number of phases we will have Cataclsym at level 90 experience in dungeons and raids together with open MoP in each phase from 4.0 to 5.4

Which the second option will bring the Cataclysm with lvl 90 experience in new Kalimdor and Eastern zones.

Only at the end will it be known how they will do for the future of classic experiences since thanks to WotLK it is showing that Dragonflight with all its effort is not helping to bring new experience and players now.

And even worse that the third option would come.

1. Due to the fail of Vanilla and WotLK classic, they won’t do anything and end up getting more experience in server classics.

Something that will only depend on the future of WoW and how they develop it in the future, something that has nothing to do with Retail, which is for another thread.

That one warlock that looted Corrupted Ashbringer is totally banking on this!

2 Likes

At least i won’t have to play it again, god that expansion sucked hard.

3 Likes

Outlands and Northrend are both the same since their original release date.

1 Like

It would be the shadowlands of classics

1 Like

Read that article. A lot of people playing wolk classic are not happy with some of the changes they made to it, that the op of that thread would want for a cata classic also. Which is why I believe is why a lot of the wrath realms are dead now. Cata classic would fail with no rdf. A lot of disgruntled players over it not being added, or even planned for wrath eventually. Even ps’s have a rdf tool, and I bet they are more populated than wrath classic servers are lol. It is funny though how some of those folks are ok with a mythic version of dungeons being added to wrath dungeons(that were not available in og wrath), and are anti rdf lol. It’s like I want the classic version, but I don’t want it lol. Anyhow Mop, and Legion classic please with no changes :crazy_face:

3 Likes

cata would be fine it ain’t actually new content but its new and gamers will eat anything up thats new it’s already been proven in classic soon as something new gets released everyone’s there i remember people saying i’m never leaving vanilla ya right.

That would be what will happen, I am not saying that it is correct.

But the problem comes to new players, do you think about the new players? From what I saw your post doesn’t seem like much.

By what I mean, in my case I didn’t even see it, not only in retail experience, not even in a private or pirate server in my case due to my little experience buying online to get the game.

Which if you skip Cataclysm, I don’t care how disappointing it was, I haven’t experienced this 85 experience.

But at the same time, it would give reason to some how bad it was because if you saw my first post in this thread, you will see that one of my options would be to combine it with MoP, since WotLK, no… in fact, any classic server is almost similar to the retail experience at that time, which kept it as the last version of the patch, or simply changed some things, positive like the buff in Ulduar and Hero+, and negative like a lack of RDF when WoW DOESN’T HAVE MORE THAN 12M PLAYERS LIKE 2009 (and I will continue to repeat it several times in each post for retail and Classic) which at this time will not be as classic an experience as we say.

Which would be good to not leave behind this experience and at the same time also play one of the most undervalued that is MoP especially for new players, it would be to have both expansions in lvl90 experience

Which I don’t know how it will be for someone else they wanted, they wanted MoP before another bad expansion, but believe me how are they going to want Classic to experience again if they are in love with a fake honeymoon from a WoW that ceased to be at the beginning of Shadowlands?

1 Like

I sure hope so. I could go for some lfr deathwing!

2 Likes

Tbh I don’t believe this game brings in that many new players. If it does, they are more than likely fly by nighters. Try the game out, but don’t hang around long. Just my opinion though and could be wrong. My guess is that most classic players consist of the same folks that have been here for years already. It would be interesting though to see exactly how many new players classic actually brought to the game, that hung around more than a year. Would love for new players to be able to experience each version/expansion as it was when it was current content with no changes at all. No squishes etc. Wouldn’t mind a classic version of each expansion. That way folks can also choose to stay and play in the ones they loved. A win win for the players, and Blizz. I mean it keeps $ coming into the game, subscriptions etc.

1 Like

I agree with you, but I think devs desperately want to make it regardless. They want to prove that if they hadn’t reverted unpopular changes to dungeons, healing, etc., the game population would have grown dramatically after casuals accepted that they had no choice but to play harder content and got gud. Like, instead of quitting, as too many did.

4 Likes

I’d love a Cata Classic. That’s the Stage of the game I actually have nostalgia for. And my Favorite Race was added!

I haven’t cared about Classic through Wrath. I dabbled in them slightly

2 Likes

Cata Actually had just about everything I liked.
Class overhauls that turned most classes into what I recognize today as “Iconic design” and the removal of a lot of janky, uneccesary mechanics. Like weapon Training.

3 Likes

Im in the minority who loved Cata. The PvP/class design in particular was top notch outside some rare misses (Demo locks).

But realistically i doubt it will happen. Whole point of Classic is to be a nostalgia trip and not that many people are nostalgic of Cata.

MoP or Legion would be more likely contenders.

2 Likes

His felguard will get a very neat weapon.