Will Frost be Dead on Arrival?

It honestly feels terrible. Bring back the SL Frost dev. The spec had flaws, but it feels even worse in DF.

Fixes:
Icy Propulsion should include aoe.
Icy Propulsion should be a 2 sec cdr.
Keep the out of Veins cdr for bad luck/mechanics protection.

There we go. It’s a spec again.

3 Likes

I honestly believe it will be. Maybe if frost had a 1% raiding streamer pulling for us we would have a chance. But those guys like jumping fire mages. If frost ever gets ahead they nerf it faster than any other spec. It’s unbelievable… But it happens every time. If Blizzard wants us all to play one spec they should remove the other options.

7 Likes

can we stop buffing Icy Propulsion and make other talents viable? Thanks.

13 Likes

Stop buffing? It didn’t get a buff. It got a massive nerf. IV which has like 5 talent points lasts like 1 min now…

Oh god no. The BfA/SL version of Frost is the worst it has been ever, and that includes when it was relegated to a pvp-only spec. Those are the only 2 expansions where I actively said “no, I don’t want to play a Mage”.

be deleted. IP turns a weak cooldown into a maintenance buff, and it doesn’t feel good to play. Frost should instead have a baseline lower cast time on FB and a slightly lower gcd on instant-casts.

IV should be a strong CD to use at appropriate moments, similar to how literally every other dps cooldown works. We all know a short 30% haste buff is too weak, but instead of designing Frost around keeping that haste buff rolling for as long as possible, keep it as a short cooldown and bake something into it to make it strong. Multistrike, adding other secondary stats to it. There are options, and IP is the worst one.

7 Likes

Multi-strike Icy Veins from MoP was my favorite. I miss it a lot.

1 Like

I did fine leveling as frost in BFA. I didn’t play the other specs, so I don’t know how bad it compares to the others.

Note: I’m only really talking about questing. I did some dungeons and the BC timewalking… but I don’t know what my DPS is, or how it compared to others. I just know that I don’t feel gimped in questing and can destroy mobs quick.

I’m just hoping I can at least quest easily in DF right off the bat. I don’t want to get in after feeling relatively powerful in BFA and then feel gimped in DF. I just started SL, so I’m don’t know if I’ll feel gimped there yet.

Frost probably won’t be dead on arrival, but its single target build being limited to the SL version will feel bad (since its just a nerfed version of SL). Unless GS is insanely overtuned. Especially because there are some bugs with icicle generation at 5 icicles (so when queuing an ice lance or flurry after GS basically).

4 Likes

I mean I don’t want to be “that guy” but questing and general open-world content is a non-issue really. That’s not to say it isn’t relevant content, but it’s specifically designed to be able to be done by players of virtually any skill and power level. The only time this isn’t necessarily true is when a new zone releases and you try to do it on a severely undergeared toon.

That said though, SL was a different kettle of fish and I felt that levelling as Frost was garbage because of how reliant it is on procs to do damage. Yes things still die, and when you get all the procs things die very quickly, but when they don’t you’re sitting there casting wet noodle Frostbolts for 30 seconds. Compare this to say Arcane which just sat at 4 stacks and melted things in 1-2 hits. I don’t think there will be any issues with Frost for levelling, but with the current design almost any spec will do it faster and more efficiently.

I think the majority of complaints around Frost is for end-game content (raiding and M+), where it feels pretty bad to play and has extrememly limited options.

2 Likes

It would be nice if streamers who normally play fire and never touch frost wouldn’t make videos showing burst on target dummies . They use things like Power infusion and it really isn’t accurate,and there is zero movement involved. We all know Blizzard will get feedback on the damage on target dummies and nerf things like Glacial spike because they will think 80k burst is too much …

4 Likes

Yup. oooo look what I can do with this very specific situation and very specific set up that NEVER happens in the real world of play.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time a streamer screwed mages over …

3 Likes
1 Like

:face_vomiting: preheat

1 Like

Why the hate on preheat?

He no longer plays the game essentially, doesn’t raid since Liquid dropped him from the raid team to my knowledge and doesn’t really do m+ (hasn’t done any in s4). Doesnt update his wowhead guides and occasionally has inaccurate information. Had that whole situation with Preheet as well. Though to be fair I don’t really keep up to speed on him, just haven’t liked his comments in the past + as mentioned the wowhead guides.

5 Likes

To be fair most of Liquid seem to be taking a break for season 4. Also Preheat is still in Liquid or atleast his mage is.

I cant really comment on that but his information for me has been accurate unless its just him not updating stuff.

1 Like

I feel like Preheat knows fire really well, and guesses at everything else.

2 Likes

I have spent just about 100 hours on Alpha/Beta at this point and I leveled my character from 60 to 70 to get a better feel for open world content as well as dungeon content. I have tested multiple frost builds (AoE, cleave, and single target) on target dummies and in heroic dungeons.

I agree with Preheat that glacial spike is have a decent potential compared to a non glacial spike build on target dummies. However, I noticed that on single target and in AoE (basically anything above 2 targets), glacial spike falls off drastically. Part of that reason is that glacial spike does not do well with the current IP style of frost mage design.

One of the things that Preheat failed to show was the uptime difference on RoP between the GS and non-GS builds. RoP and icy veins uptime determines overall damage potential.

As an example, my average damage for a dungeon at about a 320 ilvl is about 28k dps for the run. I still haven’t found any gear that would compel me drop my set bonuses). During the same dungeon runs, the average damage of the people I have run with (an evoker and ww monk) was about 44-45k dps.

Blizzard still needs to do their round of power adjustments (post raid and M+ testing).

Additionally, the play-style of glacial spike frost seems ok. However, the concept of having to take ice nova, meteor, and comet storm (three extra abilities to track) seems a bit of an oddity and a single empowered ice lance is better than ice nova or meteor (meaning there would need to be a compelling reason to take ice nova or meteor instead of other options like freezing cold, which comes back up very quickly and allows targets to be frozen and rooted (helps with AoE shattering and extra damage from frigid shattering.

In any case, Preheat does show some options. However, I would find it more compelling if one of the better known frost mages gave their feedback on the state of frost.

5 Likes

I guess I’m chopped liver :joy:. Read the title of this thread. That’s the state of Frost on beta.