Will Blizzard take action against Overwolf?

Thats too annoying to update manually.
Much easier to just use overwolf then close it when youre done lol. Will take DRASTICALLY less time

The worry is the malware.

Believe it or not people who use a computer know how to close programs.

3 Likes

If you’ve already been pirating Zygor for over a decade, you’re used to being at odds with the less reputable people in the addon scene. The Overwolf situation is nothing new to us.

I could see them going either way, but it looks like it will hurt their product. And yeah, it feels like charging for addons, which would be a big no-no

Honestly, Overwolf is a joke. The real question here is does Blizzard, as claimed by Overwolf, support in-game advertising in order for wow players to access addon updates?

Here is Overwolf’s youtube channel publically stating that:

Wait, so I won’t be able to use Twitch app like I have for years to install addons? I will have to download Overwolf to do so?

Much better to use Wowup.io or Ajour and avoid Overwolf entirely.

Last I heard Wowup was given a C&D order by Overwolf telling them to not pull from the Curseforge API. Which I believe is illegal since the API is supposed to be open but still Wowup may be on borrowed time.

If your game supports addons then you are responsible if they act in ways that harm your players and you take no action to address that.

Blizzard has a comprehensive set of rules on what is and is not acceptable. They have in the past updated those rules and even changed the api’s that addons depend upon to enforce them.

Or don’t use addons. Blizzards stock UI is just fine

Use WowUp and give Overwolf and their fallacious arguments the finger.

We will have to agree to disagree. THEY do not support the addons, it’s not their place to intervene.

Statements were posted by both Wowup and Ajour that specifically said they’re not blocking the API and they’ll see how things go.

2 Likes

thanks for the laugh, choked on my drink!

3 Likes

Sure thing. Our agreement to such does not change the fact that if the addons get paywalled without recourse or made unusable without something that shows ads in game Blizzard will take action.

As long as Overwolf does not do that I think they are fine. It may be annoying to people to have to manually update their addons but it will be possible.

There is nothing Blizzard can do. I mean I guess in theory they could host the addons, but outside that there is nothing they can do to control Overwolf.

I’d rather drag my tail through broken glass and wash it off with lemon juice than put up with the jank AF stock UI

2 Likes

Sure would be nice to just launch bnet and have everything Auto update

1 Like

This really isn’t blizzards problem, it’s the players for using it tbh.

Oh yeah absolutely.