Will AMD Dethrone Intel in WoW?

For most gamers, safe to say that Intel chips aren’t the automatic no-brainer pick anymore. But Intel probably isn’t as worried about gaming enthusiasts as it is about enterprise customers. If corporations start buying more PCs, laptops and servers powered by AMD chips, THAT is what will really hit Intel’s bottom line.

More mud to the early review waters:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/294596-amds-x570-chipset-draws-so-much-power-its-warping-cpu-comparisons

TL;DR
On the X470 chipset instead of X570, the power draw of the 3700X drops down from “kinda high sustained” to “that’s pretty darned thrifty” territory. Raw stress test draws are down both peak and average by significant amounts, and really show the gains against the 2700X - especially in peak draw, which is down by up to ~42%.

*ed: Worth mentioning is that X570 is AMD’s first completely in-house design chipset in a very long time. Teething issues are to be expected. The move to PCIe 4.0 won’t have helped things but isn’t the cause of such disparity.

I am running a 9600K unlocked and running all cores at 5.1 (won dat silicon lottery yo) with a 2070. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade since WOW is the only PC gaming I do.

Uhh… congratulations, or something?

1 Like

Not anymore. The extra few fps from these chips and the higher end AMD chips isn’t worth 200%+ price. Also some reviewers have the 3600 overtaking the 9900K stock vs stock. Most 9900K aren’t stock though and take over 200% more power than a Ryzen 3000 in some cases.

3600 or bust!

Funny thing is we can recommend Ryzen 3600 as the perfect gaming CPU for budget and performance and nothing can be said otherwise :grin:

I hope the regulars on here do suggest the 3600 for new people coming here for a budget setup

i mean, you’re basically saying “value is better than performance”, which is a judgment call. in most cases the 9700/9900k perform 10% or more better for gaming from what i’ve seen thus far, and that’s with no overclocking of the intel. that isn’t nothing, especially when a lot of people won’t get the 3600 they’ll get a $300+ 3700x or better which starts to become a lot more proportional price/performance wise.

but in general, you and You are right, for gaming the ryzen 3600 is the perfect budget cpu. there’s really nothing close at this point. i think it ALMOST makes sense as a buy even for a gaming enthusiast, but not quite. intel probably has the chance to change things with the comet lake lineup if they do it right, but we’ll see. intel doesn’t seem big on dropping prices but they haven’t had competition in like a decade so idk how aggressively they’ll try to compete or if they’ll just figure a big chunk of market will keep buying intel even if its overpriced.

I’ve bought an Intel based computer since the 80286. I even resisted buying an AMD when the Athlons kicked butt. But AMD’s strategy with the AM4 socket is looking like a better deal compared to having to shell out more money for a new motherboard every time I get a new cpu.

My 3900x isn’t boosting right hence why the 9900k won by 3-4%. But the 3600 loses by less than 1%, runs cooler, wins in single threaded and heavy workloads.

1 Like

That’s not exactly what I’m saying. There are benchmarks where the 3600 is slightly faster than a 9900k ‘stock’ vs ‘stock’ due to the nature of how Ryzen 3000s work.

The 9900k is a high end chip usually shows with MCE, high end cooling etc etc. The 3600 is a budget CPU and shows with stock cooling and so fourth.

We’re finding better cooling, updated drivers, RAM OC are all giving Zen2 a big boost.

Unless you need more cores going from a 3600 to a 3900x isn’t that much faster (few more frames a sec). The 9900k being in that territory is the reason I say gaming in general doesn’t need much more than the performance of a 3600 today.

I’ve seen some too but no one games in 720p anymore.

Hows the new zen 2 chips perform in WoW? Mainly on heavy cpu environments like Boralus/30man raid/Mythic raids? is the gap huge? has anyone tested it?

WTB cpu that does 144hz on boralus

the benchmarks i’ve seen have shown 10%+ better performance at all resolutions unless gpu bound.

Links?

Need some of these benchmarks to go with what you’re saying.

i’ll try to find it. but i didn’t specifically mean benchmarks, i meant game fps. it was mostly a youtube video that showed framerates of 10+ games. hardware unboxed or something like that.

i think it was this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVUdpcKZMA the 9900k is like 5% better at 1440p than the 3700/3900, but the 3600 performs a few % worse and the 9900k wasn’t overclocked. an overclocked 9900k being 10%+ better than the 3600 is pretty reasonable.

this video review of the 3600 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke3OnFlOUnI shows it is 5-10% worse than the stock 8700k at 1440p at most games.

Gamers Nexus also came up with similar numbers in regards to gaming performance - https://youtu.be/0GjSiLbCtHU?t=1240

Yindar/Mordrid the links posted are sites that tested with the wrong BIOS for Ryzen 3000.

Anandtech got upwards of 9% perf increases from the proper BIOS and redid all their tests. GearSeekers has the 3600 on par or better than a 9900K. There’s still a lot of explore with performance on the table (silicon lottery supposedly matter a ton for Ryzen 3K this time around).

The was a streamer running WoW in Boralus and a 5-man in Waycrest Manor with the 3600x at 144hz. Sorry don’t remember the name but a clip is probably on Youtube (he was livestreaming on Youtube). He was getting excellent fps in WoW at stock but was having some problems initially overclocking.

edit: The streamer’s name was hardwarenumb3rs.

But Aribeth! Tech YouTubers are never wrong!

its certainly possible that the number will or already have increased for the ryzens with bios and driver updates. i’ve said that elsewhere. if the gap closes even a little then the 3600 would become a no brainer over even a 9900k. but i haven’t seen anything yet to show me that. if you have fps marks for games that demonstrate it, post em.

The numbers for the 9900K might also decrease unfortunately. All these tests were done without recently Windows security patches.

I’ve tried the Linux MDS security patches and 2 Intel machines have microstutter randomly when load new texture. Disabling security patches removes the stutter. Hopefully, this gets a fix but it’s very annoying to game on an Intel machine and MMOs.