Will AMD Dethrone Intel in WoW?

I probably won’t be able to publish this until Monday as I do not have a large enough audience to get review samples. But I will be testing the 9900k vs 3900x and 3600x vs the 9600k using the Navi RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition. I am curious on how well the 3900x will overclock. Unfortunately, I will only be able to do FP testing for now.

3 Likes

Try to do something more useful than flight paths (like raid finder). And stop liking your own posts.

I didn’t? However doing a raid fight is nearly impossible. Unless you the boss fight and positioning is nearly the same. I tried doing LFR back in Legion and I ran 3 runs of the same boss per CPU and average FPS was as much as 15 off from run to run.

It seems that RX 5700 XTs won’t be available at launch. Micro Center hasn’t gotten any yet.

Linus tech tips in their latest live stream said the anniversary edition is capable of going neck to neck against a 2080 ti in some games

258 votes and 138 comments so far on Reddit

1usmus is famous for extreme overclocking and hes the creator of Ryzen RAM calculator software
They were serious about benchmark leaks, there’s artificial restriction, your bios version may cause your review to be different so make sure you get the right BIOS update when you do your review

But man I can’t believe this, locked down bios and already Ryzen 3rd gen benchmarks they are impressive vs Intel

That’s why some pre NDA benchmarks had issues like ram latency being higher than it should be

what’s gonna happen when reviews come out and it’s unlocked and unleashed?

:rofl:

1 Like

Short answer: Not at the super high end. The 9900k is a monster of a part that can overclock to 5.0GHz.

Realistic answer: Price per performance, AMD is 100% giving Intel a kick in the groin right now. The 3900x is an amazing part and seriously overkill for WoW.

Longer answer:
The AMD parts that will overclock the best are the higher core count processors. This is because those are effectively binned chips compared to the lower core count parts. That said at stock clocks the AMD parts are 100% competitive if not beating in some workloads. As Blizzard optimizes WoW to better use multi-core as they have over the 8.x patch series the advantage that Intel has enjoyed in the past will start to wither because WoW won’t be as dependent on high clocks anymore. I personally would say this is already largely the case in 8.2. From my perspective it’s basically a wash past the 2700x at this point even with the lower IPC on the Zen+ part.

I agree that these AMD parts are a pretty big leap in the right direction. But as someone who has been skeptical of AMD for a while, but actually got excited when I saw the single core benchmarks come in, I can’t say these results blow me away. The value is much better than it used to be - I think something like a 3600 may be a very smart buy while I really didn’t think that about last generation. No doubt amd will cut into intel’s business much more with these. But the 8700/9700/9900k are still the clear kings of the high end.

1 Like

Depends what you want I guess but with the 3700x ($449) vs 9700k ($510), AMD is looking better value for comparable performance and even better when running multiple programs as some sites already pointed out.

Yea damn Canadian tax for parts up here…

Some reviewers benchmarks were flawed

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cacwf9/psa_ryzen_3000_gaming_performance_is_being_gimped/

MSI got the fixed update
https://twitter.com/andreif7/status/1148170909322293248?s=09

New chipset driver is already out and BIOS updates coming, probably hold out your review till then

Huh… now that’s a very curious read. I don’t entirely get the reasoning behind it, to be honest - holding back performance until after release to ensure “leaks” are inaccurate just seems counterproductive.

To me, it seems more like someone messed up. Like using an older branch to base a newer version on.

1 Like

Just expect new benchmarks soon, that review, the guy got 4.3 GHz on all cores but if he changed to the first BIOS version, in this case F1, all his cores on the 3900x got 4.6+ GHz

Multiple reviewers are reporting bugs with the Navi software, too

For most gamers, safe to say that Intel chips aren’t the automatic no-brainer pick anymore. But Intel probably isn’t as worried about gaming enthusiasts as it is about enterprise customers. If corporations start buying more PCs, laptops and servers powered by AMD chips, THAT is what will really hit Intel’s bottom line.

More mud to the early review waters:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/294596-amds-x570-chipset-draws-so-much-power-its-warping-cpu-comparisons

TL;DR
On the X470 chipset instead of X570, the power draw of the 3700X drops down from “kinda high sustained” to “that’s pretty darned thrifty” territory. Raw stress test draws are down both peak and average by significant amounts, and really show the gains against the 2700X - especially in peak draw, which is down by up to ~42%.

*ed: Worth mentioning is that X570 is AMD’s first completely in-house design chipset in a very long time. Teething issues are to be expected. The move to PCIe 4.0 won’t have helped things but isn’t the cause of such disparity.

I am running a 9600K unlocked and running all cores at 5.1 (won dat silicon lottery yo) with a 2070. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade since WOW is the only PC gaming I do.

Uhh… congratulations, or something?

1 Like

Not anymore. The extra few fps from these chips and the higher end AMD chips isn’t worth 200%+ price. Also some reviewers have the 3600 overtaking the 9900K stock vs stock. Most 9900K aren’t stock though and take over 200% more power than a Ryzen 3000 in some cases.

3600 or bust!

Funny thing is we can recommend Ryzen 3600 as the perfect gaming CPU for budget and performance and nothing can be said otherwise :grin:

I hope the regulars on here do suggest the 3600 for new people coming here for a budget setup

i mean, you’re basically saying “value is better than performance”, which is a judgment call. in most cases the 9700/9900k perform 10% or more better for gaming from what i’ve seen thus far, and that’s with no overclocking of the intel. that isn’t nothing, especially when a lot of people won’t get the 3600 they’ll get a $300+ 3700x or better which starts to become a lot more proportional price/performance wise.

but in general, you and You are right, for gaming the ryzen 3600 is the perfect budget cpu. there’s really nothing close at this point. i think it ALMOST makes sense as a buy even for a gaming enthusiast, but not quite. intel probably has the chance to change things with the comet lake lineup if they do it right, but we’ll see. intel doesn’t seem big on dropping prices but they haven’t had competition in like a decade so idk how aggressively they’ll try to compete or if they’ll just figure a big chunk of market will keep buying intel even if its overpriced.