Why windwalker doesnt work

During BFA ww monks have been shafted the hardest out of any class and going into Shadowlands im convinced there is not enough changes to keep me interested in the game unless I was to main a different class like sub rogue.

So what is wrong with WWs?

NO CC. Comparing ww to the other leather specs WWs toolkit is non existent. We went from being a well rounded set up class having the 2 reliable stuns and the incap on a short cd, This made ww feel like it functioned well as a class and had an identity. You could rotate your incaps, create split pressure and when you did burst you could do it in a full stunlock that the enemy had no choice to react too by using major cooldowns. BFA monks are just trash no way to actually set up damage. They just kind of run at the enemy and do their rotation with very little ways to actually make a play.

CRAPPY ROTATION. The whole blackout kick reduces the cooldown of fof and rising sunkick is not even a good mechanic. We only use hitcombo and our mastery is tuned to not use the same move twice in a row so you have contridicting mechanics where at the start of the expansion was used with an azerite trait to break mastery and use more sunkicks but that wasnt how it was intended to be played and got nerfed and was no longer a viable way to play. Every past version of WW monk had rotations that made sense and were fun to play.

Looking at the changes going into Shadowlands there is no way I will be playing this expansion because my class still looks complete garbage, sure they are getting rid of the stupid touch of death because if they didnt monks would do no damage. But no changes to the rotation, maserty, redundant talents, no cc or set up potential. WWs are a joke.

In previous expansions wws mobility PLUS their setup potential made them contenders against classes like rogues, ferals, hunters. but now they play more like a dk, warrior or ret pally despite having leather armor.

So what they need to do is give WWs fof stun back, make the ability on a 30 second cooldown, give the legsweep talent baseline make it 50 secs with a wider range. reduce the incap back to 15. Bring back old tigereye brew the one that increases damage and healing, Make the mastery how much damage and healing you get from the tigereye brew and not how fast you generate it. Get rid of storm earth fire. This ability is buggy and not fun to use. The only reason people use it is because you have to talent out of another ability to gain a cooldown with less charges and in the current scaling does not increase damage by enough.

Give us back grapple weapon baseline, give us spinning fire blossom. give us healing sphere instead of effuse. Make ww fun to play again. Im not going to play this game if ww is a leather warrior with pets in shadowland.

I love playing world of warcraft but there is no reason for me to play if the character ive played for 6 years in unplayable.

Anyone on this forum tell me why you would play ww over a rogue in this next expansion.

Edit : They should just change fist of fury to not be a channel ability anymore, make it like whirling dragon punch but dont make it do the stupid self root thing make it an bility that hits like 5 times really fast like left right hook hook uppercut like a finishing move kind of and make it stun. when you do serenity you dont even want to hit fof or just let it tick like twice because it just doesnt do enough damage for the time it takes. stop using 2014 mechanic in 2021 game.

16 Likes

Im always confused when people make posts like this without mentioning they’re talking about pvp.

I mean, what percentage of people are focusing on pvp, like 20%?

4 Likes

Clearly talking about the spec as a whole. The whole spec is trash in comparison to every prior expansion in every regard. Especially pvp which happens to be the reason I play this game. SO screw you buddy.

Rotation, mastery, storm earth fire are all bad in bfa for ww monk. In legion some of the things that worked and felt good to play did not carry over into BFA leaving monk feeling like a cookie cutter leather warrior. When you play a monk you accept that you might be at a disadvantage in pve because of the on demand cooldowns of other classes and they tried to steer ww in that direction resulting in a playstyle thats simple, boring and unrewarding.

I am talking from a pve point of view that WW monk feels worse to play then ever before in bfa and the pvp is just a complete joke. The spec needs a complete overhaul to rotation, maserty down to core abilities like fists of fury that just arent working at the stage of the game anymore.

Upon the release of WW the spec was way more involved, exciting to play and was unique to any other spec or class in the game, now we are a cookie cutter leather warrior.

Ive been saying it during this whole expansion WW started out brilliant in MoP and has gotten worse and worse with every expansion in terms of play style. Why play a ww when other classes are the king of aoe, why play a monk when other classes outshine in single target why play a monk when the playstyle is unoriginal, not unique in anyway and also historically preforms worse in almost all scenarios?

Without talking about the disgusting spot we are in with pvp in comparison to the other classes. WW at its core has turned into a spec good at very little, excelling at nothing and has no flavor.

Ive posted a lot about the state of WW in bfa because I am passionate about this game and the spec and I see the direction its been taking and its turned a game I love into something I resent putting so much time into.

6 Likes

WW monks are golden in pvp. PvP is not the issue. They got all the toolkits and with the kyrian covenant and others WW are getting stronger. In the tournaments ongoing WWs are as represented as fire mages and destro locks. Just watch all the comps, a huge majority have windwalkers.

Having said that PVP is not the issue. The problem lies in PvE. They definitely have to fix the scaling issue with the class and improve bugs/quality of life changes. They may even need a rework for monks and Windwalker monks in general but doubt it will happen so close to the release of the expansion.

As far as beta goes for windwalkers - they are mid-Tier C in terms of dps chart. So middle of the pack in beta. Not on the bottom, but also not near the top like rogues/mages. We will have to see how everything plays out once expansion launches and we see people taking cookie cutter covenants and legendary powers to see how it all shakes out.

2 Likes

Biggest problem is the transmogs.

THEY ARE MUNDANE AND BORING
:robot:

4 Likes

WW are not good in pvp. Thats like saying ya vegans are strong because there are jacked vegan bodybuilders, but they are all on steroids.

You cant look at the top 1% they have experienced well coordinated teams to support their strengths which are being able to drag the game into the late game being able to prewall goes, prekarma pre port. But that doesnt mean they are good or fun to play.

The state of pvp is just terrible in BFA, But the state of ww in bfa is even worse.

2 Likes

You sure about this?

2 Likes

ya ok enhancement get outta here. LOL

But yes I am sure. The amount of stuff taken away from wind walker is stupid. Ive mained ww since I came back to the game in MoP so I can easily speak on the subject but yeah I feel the enhancement pain because it has been one of my favorite specs and I have tried it in bfa and you guessed it, I went ele. I havent played it enough over the years to compare the different states of enhancement though. I remember in WoD the aoe ability it had was pretty cool making the flame shocks do aoe, way better then the stupid lightning crash thing they got now. other than that, enhancement should be able to one shot something but should also die respectively fast too. I feel like BFA messed them right up.

Ww was hardly shafted. It’s been strong in PvP, m+, and has some utility in raids (although not many slots) due to the buff to physical damage. Then again only a hardcore mythic progress guild would care this much.

I do wish I liked my monk more. But to say it’s been shafted and worse off than any other class is just not correct, and shows a lack of knowledge. Just need to do a little research first.

I would like to see the mastery mechanic reworked. Such a large penalty for hitting an ability twice always seemed like bad design.

WW was not hardly shafted. 15 to 45 sec incap, 45 sec to 1 min legsweep, removed fist stun and thats just the core abilities coming from legion. I agree that some of the other specs need love MM hunter, enhance shaman.

The whole point of my post is that after each expansion monk play style seems to get worse and worse and not better.

I stand by the fact that WW got shafted going into bfa more than any other spec. I understand a couple of the other specs are complete trash like enhance and MM but nothing lost as much as WW feel free to correct me, what did MM lose? the bursting shot cc?

2 Likes

This is absolutely true.

3 Likes

I do like the rotation more than rogue and the self-healing, usually. As well as the option to heal or tank if I need.

1 Like

Because it’s the dps offspec of a fun and effective tank spec.

That’s pretty much it now. Windwalker has no place in PvE. (Can say the same for Mistweaver, too.)

Yeah the problem with our physical damage debuff is that our tanks back is very good and so we run into a problem of a raid has a chance of having a brewmaster and if it does there’s no need to bring a wWW

2 Likes

I find it amusing that you’re complaining about WW in PvP when its got the second highest ratio of players over 2000 per capita.

2 Likes

Nah. You’re not right.

Also it’s always the folks that don’t even remotely hardcore raid that talk about slots.

99% of players aren’t in a top 100 mythic raiding guild; so there’s literally little to no issue getting into a raid.

They probably just see all those 0’s on your raider io lol

I like how its always random people that think they know more about monks than the person who mains a monk. You always see this with monk threads. My fav is the person who plays monk as an alt with an ilvl of 440 who thinks they know more than the mythic raider.

The new thing is if your not in a top 100 guild you can’t be worried about your class performance because evidently it doesn’t matter. Most people who don’t main WW/MW will never understand all the bugs and why we think Blizzard ignores WW/MW.

Hey Wingclipt this isn’t the hunter forums. If your mad at surv hunter being ignored go be mad in your hunter forums.

6 Likes

Somebody is triggered.

Also I have no complaints about SV. If you think your opinion is valid, then so is everyone else’s. I don’t have to main my monk this season to know it’s fine and just needs a little work.

To say it’s been so bad like you suggest perhaps is a player skill issue.

Your just another troll in the monk forums.

WW is hardly balanced or fixed. We have bugs older than your melee survival has been a thing.

WW dps ranking for overall at 95th percentile

Ny’Alotha - 22
Eternal Palace - 23
Dazar’alor - 22
Uldir - 17th
Antorus - 3rd
Tomb of Sargeras - 14th
Nighthold - 21st
Emerald Nightmare - 22
HFC - 16th
BRF - 13th
Highmaul - 11th
Siege of Org - 14th

Mythic+
https://raider.io/mythic-plus-rankings/season-bfa-4/all/world/leaderboards#role=melee-dps:mode=unique:minMythicLevel=20:maxMythicLevel=99

Yeah WW is totally fine.

The neglect we talk about would perhaps be due to Blizzard ignored the class for 4months. Not fixing any bugs. MW only has 50+ bugs and WW has something close to 20+ bugs. Nothing is getting fixed. Our covenants still don’t work correctly. Nothing interacts with our mastery. The list goes on…

6 Likes

Probably because there’s better issues to fix than monk which isn’t that bad.

Your own experience much like my SV experience proves that you’ve made it just fine this expansion because almost all classes are playable at a high level…including monks and my dreaded SV.

Sitting on the rankings sites…too 100…whatever else you want to use is generally a terrible generalization of performance. Especially since much of the dps classes are so close. (Outside is things such as fire mage and BM hunters which are just stupidly tuned).

Again I agree it needs some changes. I think it’ll be decent in SL and I might alt it or main it haven’t decided.

Can stop with the victim card though. It’s just not that bad.