Why was this the Jailer's motive?

Sargeras did it better.

“I will wipe out all life so the void does not consume everything. I am hoping new life will spring up but a lifeless universe is better then one consumed by void.”

7 Likes

It actually isnt a bad plot line, he is afraid of the same thing sargaeas is afraid of, it makes the threat even more interesting because cosmic beings and gods are afraid of this thing and trying to make a counter to it and all of them shared the same flaw.

They all had no faith in mortals to deal with the threat, so these “gods” were trying to deal with it themselves.

1 Like

Kick the can. BC follows.
Kick the can again. Wrath time!
Kick the can a third time. Cataclysm! Now with Old Zones cut off!
Kick the can yet AGAIN. Mists. “Why do we fight? That is to ask, why do leaves fall? Rather, ask what is worth fighting for!” And… after WoD, might as well never have ASKED.
Kick the can! To Alt Draenor! Oh look, Warlords of Draenor was so poorly written and designed…
Kick the can another time! Legion! Kneejerk reaction! Storywise!
Punt the can! Battle For Azeroth! Let’s FORCIBLY forget that Legion was about working together as a team!
Stomp the can! Shadowlands! … The lore is both shoehorned so hard that when, as OP so well puts it:

s:
Hey, this is novel and new!
/s

Yeah, this writing team is stuck in a rut.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

• Albert Einstein
4 Likes

Easily my biggest complaint about that final season. Over and over, they told us the war for the throne didn’t matter compared to the one against the dead. The show even opens with rangers going north, which means it’s the central theme, yet there we were at the finale, watching an anti-climatic resolution where it doesn’t even end with one throne but two. It’s like the writers completely forgot what they wrote. Kind of similar to the episode with the three eyed raven telling Bran over and over, “The past is written, the ink is dry,” then watching Bran change the past, present, and future. Or hearing how tough Dorne and the Sand Snakes were, only to watch them get wrecked by a pirate. Or Samwell being told Grey Scale is impossible to cure, then curing it with ease as an untrained maester that read a single book about it.

I’m glad the spin-offs were cancelled. They butchered a masterpiece.

2 Likes

Well you see. The Night King was actually trying to save us from Cersei.

5 Likes

He clearly to clean out the bickering Cosmic Forces and build up his army from scratch not realizing that he is out of time! The Enemy is already on his doorstep and he is removing the defenses to replace them without having enough time to replace them!

He failed to consider that he had no time to face the threat coming for everyone for if he did consider that fact he could have simply just opened the way from the Maw and sent his Burning Legion-sized Army of Mawsworn to Azeroth to help weather the coming storm!

He should have grabbed all the Maldraxxi Allies, Forsworn, Venthyr Loyalists, Nathrezim and Mawsworn, built up his armies and sent them to defend Azeroth the moment the Enemy showed up!

It’s not like anyone ever encountered Mawsworn, Venthyr or Forsworn so them showing up to defend Azeroth from the 7th Cosmic Force the second it began invading would have endeared them to Azeroth!

Instead Zovaal wanted to wipe out all Cosmic Forces and try to build up an army from scratch without realizing he is out of time for that!

2 Likes

More thought given to the facts than Danuser has given to the “story” of Shadowlands.

Just lame retired tropes. Borrowing from Sargeras and Metzen writing. N’zoth portrayed that and now the Jailer. It’s just lame and god awful.

2 Likes

but what if… N’zoth (through his Il’Gynoth minion), Sargeras and the jailer all are seeing the same “thing” approach?

some of these quotes appear to mention Shadowlands storyline. Consider 9.2 storyline and the Anduin 3-phase fight among cinematics and other things…

• The [boy-king] serves at the master’s table. Three lies will he offer you.
  • Her heart is a crater, and we have filled it.
  • Five keys to open our way. Five torches to light our path.
  • At the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming.
  • From the earth, he draws strength. Our earth. Our strength.
  • Its surface blazes bright, masking shadows below.

Those whispers are just things they threw out there and connected when convenient.

1 Like

It’s possible N’zoth and Zovaal saw the same thing, but Sargeras was definitely just trying to stop old gods from corrupting a world soul.

1 Like

I just noticed something.

If the Old Gods have a master, who is it?

And it’s Zovaal…

Then how does that even work?

Also…?

Does / did Zovaal view anyone as his master? It’s not like we’ve been told…

2 Likes

Didnt you see Azeroth’s advanced tech? I feel the Jailor wanted to use Azeroth to mine Bitcoin, its the only motive that makes sense.

4 Likes

Because the Nathrezim claimed that the Void Lords(agents of the Indistinct Shadow) would create a nightmarish world of Torment everywhere just so that Sargeras would target the Void Lords alongside the Light and Life as a test run for a greater army.

Unfortunately as N’Zoth stated: “The Light has struck a bargain with the enemy of all.” and as Il’gynoth has stated: “The Vassal of Life disguises treachery. Beware the eyes of green.”

Once all of that happened Denathrius immediately resorted to aiding Zovaal’s plan as his own plan to use the Shadow as a training target for a united Army of Cosmic Forces ultimately led to the Light and Life siding with the true Darkness: The True Void…

Sargeras of course decided to do exactly what the True Void itself wanted: wipe out all of existence! If the True Void showed up in front of Sargeras and explained it’s true nature I’m sure Sargeras only knowing of the Shadow being a Cosmic Force bringing Torment(instigated by the Nathrezim to make them a training target) would readily side with the True Void just so that he can erase everything!

Sargeras, the Light and Life have all fallen into the schemes of the True Void with those seeking to stop the True Void(I.E. the Nathrezim, Void Lords and Zovaal) shooting themselves in the foot out of recklessness and not thinking out the consequences of their actions!

2 Likes

we need a loremaster to keep track of this storyline… with flowcharts… and graphs… many graphs.

9.2 ending in a multiverse cliffhanger and 10.0 being a “rescue kitty from three” would be hilarious.

2 Likes

The only question I have is this… at the end of the Jailer cinematic, the hole above ice crown closed. Does this mean we are now stuck in the Shadowlands?

2 Likes

Blizzard is not known for thinking ahead in game.

Especially when it comes to lore and story points.

I’m sure more handwavium will explain it somehow.

Just like the utterly nonsense way that Varian showed up to help Anduin.

At least Saurfang being there makes sense. Jailer kill raid cinematic.

2 Likes

The Portals still remain according to Danuser. The Death Knights of the Ebon Blade will get to choose who comes and goes to the Shadowlands.

Big Shots and useful Businessmen can just waltz in when needed yet ordinary civilians aren’t permitted through the Portals.

2 Likes

But would the portals still remain if the rift to the shadowlands closed? I don’t think so.
It wouldn’t make sense based on the lore that was told at the beginning.

They had the opportunity to actually do some good writing. We could have gone looking for Varian in the shadowlands so we could get his help with Anduin. Instead, they had this wacky FFXIV Heavensward scene that didn’t really make sense. Either Varian entered the shadowlands and was there, or his soul was completely destroyed by the fel. Having some spirit show up out of nowhere doesn’t hold water. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

There’s a problem, thiks story is being written by the mental equivalent of a 3 year old so linking plots together will never work. They have hyped up void lords SO MUCH that anything less than the entire planet shattering will make it all for nothing.

Void lords will be kamehameha’d to death just like N’zoth, this company can’t even muster a wet fart anymore to try and make you care about anything.

1 Like