Why the new mount equipment system feels so underwhelming

:roll_eyes:

9 Likes

I think this new system will be a huge step forward.

I look forward to them expanding it.

I think it would be cool if they let us fight from our mounts.

How about aerial combat?!

3 Likes

You need to do your homework. The person you quoted was mistaken and has been corrected.

1 Like

Every time you get a new developer that hates something about the game they go and change it, regardless of the feedback of the community.

I fear what the OP said will happen in the future. They hate that we cross a river or lake to get to the other side and we don’t take the long way around. The devs hate that we have convenience because it shortens the game play of content. That was the single reason for taking away our flying and adding it back with a huge time sink (it is given back to us way way too late in the xpac), removing and making remaining portals screwie, and now it will happen each xpac with water walking.

11 Likes

Why do i get the feeling your life revolves around social media?

3 Likes

Sadly it doesn’t. I’m just more active this expansion in forums, because it’s boring.

1 Like

Of course it is. These items are supposedly going to be crafted. Blizz never lets crafted gear remain relevant going forward, on the excuse that they don’t want players to have any reason not to exclusively stick to current content…I mean, to feel “forced” to farm old content. Next expac I fully expect to see a “only works for levels 120 and below” added to the tooltips.

To have so many players cheering for them replacing utility with cosmetic choice is frankly disconcerting.

12 Likes

I wonder how many of the players currently in favor of this change are operating under this misconception?

I mean, Blizzard’s fondness for disabling old crafted items in current content would still stand, come 9.0, but I can see how the idea of having customizable mount abilities would be appealing if it were per mount.

7 Likes

I could see that being a legit topic in the future. They already removed it for locks. Why not be fair, as they claim they’re being. Everyone has a chance to be equally disappointed with Ion’s new WoW.

4 Likes

Also, dude, great job with an excellent quote for the back of the Battle for Azeroth retail box!

6 Likes

Sound like player choice. Before you were stuck with 1 water walking mount and no anti daze or parachute. Now you can choose what fits best. Personally my alts almost never need to water walk so anit daze is the one i’ll most likely spring for. My main usually plays with wm on so i’ll probably get the parachute for him.

Most people seem to want water walking on water strider so they can have the anti daze for the rest which defeats the point of what blizz is trying to do; make it so people don’t feel they have to use the water stider all the time. Choice implies giving something up for something else you rather have.

You get water walking for free on any one with the rep and you can send BoA ones to your other characters for 50g a piece if you buy it from the Anglers vendor. I believe they were estimating non-angler ones to be around 1000g. So even in the most extreme case where you had to send it to 49 alts, it would cost you grand total of 2450. That’s how much it will cost to equip 3 toons without the rep. And chances are most people have a much smaller amount of alts they even play enough to justify buying the equipment.

1 Like

Its called choice something we didn’t have before and is being added.

I cant believe people are against blizzard giving the player choice.

4 Likes

That’s not a bug. I mean the mount is a bug but that effect is intended. You get hit, you lose water walking until you remount. Been that way for a while.

2 Likes

Uh no. Choice doesn’t have to revolve around an either or option. When I go to subway I can buy all of the sandwiches if I want and sit down to enjoy them all.

Blizz could give us an equipment slot for every piece of equipment to use on all our mounts and give players the choice of whatever mount they want to use. THAT is a choice option with no strings attached. Then players wouldn’t be stuck just using the strider.

The current system is their way of limiting players hidden behind a choice that sucks because it is a nerf.

And I’m saying it’s a crappy “choice” if I have to give up what I already got. You don’t HAVE to trade in your current vehicle to buy a new one if you don’t want to, do you?

14 Likes

You still get ww what are you losing ??? You are still using the bug( can use another if you want ergo choice) if you want.

1 Like

I already have water walking. If I want to use any other equipment I have to give up the water walking I already got.

11 Likes

Player choice isn’t bad, but remember the other classes who have unique water walking abilities before the mount was even there to what we getting in the future. That is no longer choice nor uniqueness. I’m not upset about it, its just sad that now Shamans and Death Knights no longer have that cool fantasy ability that made them different, especially on the RP side. Obviously it’s there, but what is the point when everyone is able to water walk.

This also draws in the discussion of character design and character uniqueness. Like how character had freedom and choice before talents were change to the crap we have now and cool class fantasy abilities taken away to the horrible class identity we have now. Take away character fantasy and give it to everyone, then what is the point of RP or being that one that has something different.

Now if it was profession based like how Leatherworking has the daze craft, then that is a discussion. Or they could have made a boat builder NPC to let players build different styles or types of boats like how you seen in Black Desert Online or Archage, etc. We already see boats in the story, so I don’t see why they did’t add this feature instead.

That’s not even remotely what the majority of the complaints are about. I couldn’t care less how many people have access to water walking. I care that I’m losing functionality that I currently enjoy.

We’re also losing abilities that we currently have. I hope you don’t enjoy being able to have mounts with different or multiple effects active; Blizzard doesn’t want us to have that convenience. Bardings and stirrups won’t be usable in the new 8.2 territories and it’s a safe bet that we won’t get new craftable patterns for them in the future. Blizzard is actually removing choices but waving something new and shiny in front of people in the hopes that they won’t notice.

I think this system has the potential to be a huge step forward, but not the way Blizzard is implementing it. I’d like to see the system expanded, but not if it means that I have to choose only one special ability for all of my mounts when at the moment I can use multiple ones if I want.

If Blizzard thinks the mere act of walking on water and using an anti dazing effect at the same time is too powerful to keep in game, there’s no way they’re going to give us anything fun like mounted or aerial combat. :frowning:

12 Likes

Blizz shouldn’t be forcing us to not use things. If they saw an issue with the strider, all they had to do was say, “What if we just made more mounts capable of having the ability?” Instead, they said, “They’re using this too much and we need to take it off of them slowly.”

Solution 1: Make mounts like hunter pets: different classifications can do different things. Water striders, cranes and some others can walk on water. Elekk, dragons and some others don’t get dazed. Phoenix mounts and some others can glide.

Solution 2: Leave the strider alone. Make three glyphs that we can use to make our class mounts have these perks.

Solution 3: Leave the strider alone and make it exempt from mount equipment. They left the sky golem alone already.

17 Likes

Using your example you COULD just buy all the different mount equipments and switch whenever you want to use something different, but like buying all the sandwiches that would get expensive. If you choose something you’re not locked into something forever. If you get everything it’s not a choice.

It’s may be a slight nerf to water striders but it is a buff to all other mounts. It’s not limiting players because they can now do more than they could have before. They used to be limited to just the water strider for water walking, but they now have the freedom to water walk on any mount they want or have anti daze on any mount or have a parachute on any mount (and i think i even saw a datamined speed boost for any mount). That is far more than what the players could do before.

Then don’t use one of the others? If the other equipments like anti daze have more value to you personally than water walking then this addition is a good thing because that’s something you didn’t get before. If water walking has more value then you have that too.

they still have it. For them this is a massive buff as they can have a different equipment and still have water walking on any mount

1 Like