Why the Jailer chose Anduin?

Back in BFA he freed Saurfang, attacked Lordaerdon with very little preparation and failed to assist his allies in anyway.

Andiun doesn’t take the lead like he used to in MoP but he is still very much in place of ultimate leadership.
And he tends to fail his way upwards in everything he does.

2 Likes

… Has there?

I don’t think there as. At least not a vocally significant amount. The only time that I can think of is when “Shadow Form Anduin” was a thing in the early days of Hearthstone. Even then, it was a fun deck build rather than an interesting plot development.

Yeah, I don’t think so. I don’t think anyone was asking for fallen Anduin. Danuser is super detached from what the fanbase actually wants, and already just has a history of stealing the work of other writer’s work, that it doesn’t surprise me that “DK Anduin” seemed like a good idea that people wanted to him.

No one cared about Fallen Anduin.

People wanted Arthas. It’s pretty straightforwards marketing to give people the feeling of Arthas without giving them Arthas. They just failed to give them the feeling of Arthas.

People didn’t want a fallen Anduin they wanted edgier Anduin. The thing about Shadowlands plot is that none of what happened to him was his choice. He was implied as similar to Arthas but that wasn’t accurate at all, the whole tragedy of Arthas is that he chose his fate to a large extent and his inner darkness was preyed on. Anduin had no such issues, he was made to serve.

As for why he chose Anduin, honestly as we’re all likely well aware of now, Shadowlands seems to have gotten some heavy rewrites late into development, and a lot of things fell into the pit of that. There’s likely a reason, beyond just needing him as a Trojan Horse, but we’ll never know.

1 Like

And they gave us Anduin lol

Yeah, that is pretty on brand for Blizzard.

5 Likes

He was the perfect choice to infiltrate Bastion, a neccessary first step to obtain the Keys.

He’s also intune enough with the Light to call it down in the Maw.

And no…you never learn the exacts about ANYTHING as seldom in a story do you have a character that’s in position to learn that much.

Arthas was always kind of a punk.

4 Likes

Well, more spoiled brat than a punk. He always meant well, just had a really horrible way of going about it when things didn’t go his way.

I have always been pretty defensive of Arthas in the human campaign of WC3. I don’t think he really did anything that is totally unjustifiable under the circumstances. Even picking up Frostmourn, it is reasonable to assume that picking up a cursed runeblade would come with a more personal sacrifice than ultimately what happened.

“So much power scars the spirit” what does that mean? Will I be unable to use the Light? Will be unable to love or feel joy? Will I be numb to not only pain, but all sensation? Will be become immortal and have to live to see all my loved ones die?

It was not clear what the curse -was- and it is not totally unthinkable that someone would pick up that blade willing to make that sacrifice to secure his homeland.

I think Sylvanas has more to do with the selection of Anduin not the Jailer…

Banshee Queen probably thought she could groom him into a weapon of light and death…

Mourneblades could be anything…thats a blade. Maybe Baine was nixed quick as he only used 2h maces. Thrall’s axe could be a mourneblade. Jaina’s daggers could be mourneblades. Then again, Jaina is an arcane mage which may not mold well with death magic?

Invincible died because of his selfish desire to take the horse out before it was ready.

He defied his King, he lied to his men, and then he had the mercenaries who aided him in his lie, executed.

Honestly I found it weird that people were comparing Anduin to Arthas. When Garrosh was designed to be another take of Arthas. Even Garrosh himself makes this comparison in War Crimes.

And in doing so, he united his men, defeated the Scourge and slew Mal’ganis. If it wasn’t for the specific nature of Forstmourn’s curse, which no one could have predicted, he would have been a hero, and was in fact, treated like a hero upon his return.

He was warned repeatedly and he chose to ignore those warnings. And let’s not forget those trifilign matters of patricide, regicide, and the extermination of his own people.

And those trips we get inside his head demonstrate that he had full agency in the decisions he made.

How?

“The Blade is cursed” but like I mentioned before, the nature of the curse wasn’t known, which was the original point I was making, in case you forgot, this is what you replied too.

Once he became a Death Knight, Arthas did not have true agency.

Did you do any questing in Icecrown or read the Arthas novel? Both give massive indications otherwise. Including his treatment of Sylvannas… it was all self-indulgence.

Not really… if Anything the Arthas novel shows us that Arthas’ true soul has been tormented by Ner’zhul to the point of being reduced to near nothing, and he was actively fighting (and failing) to maintain his humanity.

Arthas as a Death Knight was not his true self. And you cannot have true agency if you don’t even have hold of your own being.

What he fought and conquered was both Ner’zhul’s spirit and his own humanity.

Arthas’ actions as a Death Knight model very much his own as an adolescent. He never booked disagreement well. He took Invincible out before the horse was strong enough and ready despite being told by people he should have listened to otherwise. He disbanded the Silver Hand because they would not blindly acceede to his actions at Stratholme. He betrayed the men who sailed with him, there mercenaries who aided his betrayal and his his longtime dwarven companion.

His actions after Frostmourne show the same type of immature flashback… He tortured Sylvannas above and beyond his mission for the Scourge because her resistance irritated him. While I grant that his perceptions may have been heavily influenced by his relationship with Ner’zhul it still doesn’t change the fact that it was his choice to do so.

Arthas died as he had lived… a self-absorbed Human who seldom regarded the feelings, the wishes or the wisdom of others. A true sociopath.

1 Like

Nope, that is not what we see in the Arthas novel.

The curse of Frostmourn made him a slave to Ner’zhul’s will. His actions with the Runeblade were not his own, as he was robbed of his humanity, and driven mad.