Why the Arena Changes are bad (From a Gladiator)

So you suggest they cater to the worst players to fill some niche demographic of casuals by dangling low hanging easily obtainable epics in their face? This is exactly what went wrong with retail over the years, and completely stripped all integrity from Arena.
I just disagree entirely. The goal is there, if you don’t care enough to push for it that is your own decision. Arena isn’t LFR, it isn’t there for quick catchup gear.

What would you like me to explain? It’s apparent you’re afraid your shadowlands experience of being hardstuck 1500-1600 is going to be mirrored in TBC, it makes sense why you’re upset over the rating requirements, and instead of improving yourself you try to get the game to once again lower it’s standards for you.
I’m sure there will be arena boosts in TBC you can buy, you’ll be okay.

I thought you said retail was bad?

Which is it? TBC just added more retail-like systems. Starting at 0 rating, new MMR, and more rating gated gear and on all seasons.

What makes this new TBC system good for you? What makes it better than the original?

1 Like

What about people like me and my friends who have been getting 2200~ every single expansion for the past 12 years that absolutely hate this change? What about the rank 1 gladiators that think this change is stupid because they’re smart enough to realize the entire bottom 90% of the player base will just give up on arena entirely?

No I’m supposed to listen to some level 15 forum post troll. Get bent.

7 Likes

Do you understand how this system works? If a casual just ques and ‘loses his games’ all season, he isn’t even getting any substantial amount of gear. Let’s say they start at 1500, lose all their games, get around 236 points a week. If they wanted to get a 2hand weapon with no rating req this is going to take them 16 weeks… So they basically aren’t getting a piece for that whole season, if they decide to get some set pieces which will be terrible in any form of pve for the most part, they will get one MAYBE two.

Let’s not act like we are hooking these people up. And yes, it is good to cater to casuals a little bit because if you don’t then guess what? They just won’t play dude lol.

So you want a bracket with only the most dedicated people, making the pool insanely small, jacking up que times and making everything else in the system even harder to get and all for what? Because you don’t want casuals to get a single piece of gear for them quing areans for almost a half of a year? LOL I’m sorry but this is such an insane line of thought I don’t even want to humor it anymore.

No, it is not lol. The highest participation seasons have had systems that help casuals for very obvious reasons.

Well I hate to say it, but your opinion is just dumb. I am not a player who will struggle for any pieces during any season of TBC and I am informed enough to realize that if you take out your casual playerbase in arena, your system dies. Full stop.

2 Likes

Rating gated PvP gear in retail is absolutely destroying the game.

5 Likes

Thank you for posting this just 100% agree… please Blizzard don’t do this

I’ve always loved rated gated pvp gear. Call me an elitist what ever, this an mmo not a fps… git gud.

Maybe try rereading the thread to get a better idea about what I was talking about =D

The Retail Chads thinking about playing TBC are under the misconception that you can get fully decked out in PVP epics within one week.

Gear was gated in TBC–just not behind rating. It was gated by the total amount of Arena points you got per week, which were hard capped based on your rating. You basically can’t get the weapon until you have everything else.

If I recall correctly, even the best PVPers needed at least a month or more to get their weapons. The good players got their weapons early or mid season, and the players who didn’t care about rating got it around the time the next season began–around the time it could be purchased for honor anyway.

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of crying when the Shadowlands players find out that TBC: C not only gates items behind rating now but ALSO behind weeks and months of playing.

The third obstacle they will face is the team requirement. I don’t think the Retail PVPers read the fine print. You get points based on your Team rating, not your personal rating.

Say you are 2.2k and one of your teammates goes on vacation during the summer. No games for you that week–unless you start another team at 0 or jump to another team. But what other 2k+ team is going to take a temporary player for one week? Not many, if at all. So what does that mean? You lose out on your greatest source of points.

TBC Arena will be great for people if you have a solid group that always plays together at the same time. If you don’t have that, you are screwed since you will need to start over at zero every time you make a new team to play with PUGs.

“Well, I’ll just find a PUG around 1500?” Not likely unless you are meta since the captains of those teams will have done the grinding and don’t want to lose rating. Small servers will be disproportionately impacted by this too, as teams in the 1300-1600 range will be hard to find.

Since so many people will be in that boat, without a regular team, they just won’t queue which will lower participation and make ranking even harder and queues longer.

3 Likes

That’s the biggest misconception I think here, they legit think the gear is free.

Let’s say you are a 2200 2v2 team. And let’s say you hit 2200 the very first week it’s open, and you maintain a perfect 2200 rating.

You know how long it will take to get a FULL set plus a weapon?

13 weeks.

If you are one of these people and you don’t believe me go check it out. Look up how much it costs to get a full set (normally around 12k arena points) and go see how much points you get for being 2200 in 2s. You get almost 1k points a week, and each piece is averaging about 2k each. Obviously some pieces cost less and your weapon is much more.

Now take into account a casual, who starts at 1500 and let’s say he loses every single game and drops to 1350. They get like 200 something points. Dude the amount of grind they need to even SEE one piece is crazy. Take that away and there’s literally no point. Actually no point.

4 Likes

This really frustrates me as it will make PvP everywhere even more unbalanced when only the best will have the best it will make us casual/semi-casual get destroyed in PvP no matter how we try to fight back. At least before with those gears we were at least on an equal playing field and only skills made the difference with most players having those gears.

4 Likes

Turns out I was right

Yea, the changes are unbelievably bad and anyone who doesn’t think they’re bad is living in a different reality.

What is going on with the devs making these changes?

The intern meme is just a joke but I am starting to believe they’re allowing some Intern to actually make changes to pvp and gearing.

2 Likes

It’s crazy how you obtained “glad” when you’ve never reached 2400 in 3s? I like these changes. Can we also change it to where you cannot obtain glad in 2s & 5s too? Then you’ll really REEEEE

1 Like

On dead battlegroups in TBC that was highly likely. Some battlegroups couldn’t even get to 2200 to buy their shoulders in S4 because of how bad participation dropped.

2 Likes

Lol I love it when people say this.

Honey buns, 2400 achievement didn’t come out until cata. I got well over 2400. They didn’t have those achievements back then.

It was highly likely, yes, also 2400 achievement wasn’t a thing back then.

3 Likes

That’s actually the perfect timestamp thank you hahah.

Calls me an idiot.

Check my classic character for a glad title.

Then says my argument is stupid while completely incorrectly stating it.

And then says what he think the real issues are which was actually the point of my post lol. Couldn’t make it any better tbh.

1 Like

“guys I’m a gladiator”
“with these changes less people will get glad”
“it will be harder to get glad”

Sounds to me like you just made a great argument as to why these changes should stay.

Thanks for play, “gladiator”

1 Like