Why Sylvanas is the way

Soon Horde characters will have to make a choice that may or may not be a poll and I want to share my opinion on this. Chances are end of BfA is already planned and this “poll” won’t matter except for giving player a different path to take despite end being ultimately same but here’s my take.

Writers are blatantly trying their hardest to make Sylvanas mustache twirling evil in their every single development and trying to distance her from the in-game characters and player since 8.0. They’re now even reaching the point of breaking continuity of their lore. (see: Wrathgate). At the same time, they’re spending millions for CGI cinematics of Saurfang, which clearly indicates how Blizz is trying to control the playerbase in the story direction they want.

So they’re probably expecting players to hate Sylvanas with their current story telling and they are succeeding but I want to redirect it to them. I absolutely hate everything writers did to Sylvanas in BtS, Burning of Teldrasill, BfA and that’s exactly why I’m going to choose her, so writers may realize that their story has been failing and unsatisfactory.

(This post was written by someone who is extremely salty about recent Wrathgate development):anger:

50 Likes

So spite then?

8 Likes

I am fairly certain blizzard think that the people who support sylvanas actually want her to be responsible for wrathgate and not give a crap about the horde at all.

9 Likes

They are not breaking continuity. There are PLENTY of things we don’t about exactly regarding the Wrathgate. Chief among them exactly how much Sylvanas knew/was culpable of. For all we know Sylvanas was ok with killing everyone if it meant Arthas would also be dead.

7 Likes

Yes.

Probably but I don’t think they had to do this at the cost of continuity of their lore and it shouldn’t be encouraged further at all. It’s not like Sylvanas needs more development how she’s evil.

18 Likes

I dont want a repeat of MoP. With Saurfang, that seems like the best possible outcome.

I plan to oppose this boring, terrible rehash as stubbornly as possible for as long as I am able.

If they retcon so Sylvanas actually created Sargeras, I don’t care. Regardless of how hard they swing their retcon and villain bats, I’m not going to accept that story.

37 Likes

Oh I agree, and I always bring up how they said they wanted to bring the two sides of the horde together. I am just fairly certain their plan now is to change both of them to something else they can mesh together better.
Voss is the future of the forsaken, willing to murder people because lol and hates necromancy or raising undead, but considers the forsaken a family.
Zappy boy is the future of the honorable horde wanting it to be about family and glory in death like papa saurfang.
They will come together over the mutual ideals of family.

I think they want that.

2 Likes

If Sylvanas is ‘the way’ then it means everything from WC3 through Legion was a lie and a waste, that the Horde is really just a band of genocidal selfish monsters.

I could handle playing the villain if we had a shred of proper motivation, but the way Blizz is doing it now? Making Saurfang look like an Alliance puppet and talking about how Sylv is fighting for her people? how the devs and playerbase love her? How she’s not any more evil than she was before?

It’s just unpalatable.

This isn’t what I signed up for, and I don’t want the moral of the story to be “The Alliance should’ve let Daelin Genocide the orcs, mercy and compassion are for suckers. Real winners don’t believe in honor, just in getting over on everyone else and lying to get what they want”

Cause that’s what Sylv represents.

She represents orcs and forsaken being monsters, Tauren being spineless, hypocrisy on an impossible scale.

28 Likes

Personally, I don’t really consider what they change in existing lore to be canon at all, if they don’t honor what was already originally established then why should anyone take them seriously anymore if they going to keep on changing it.

Also what they did with Saurfang over the years kind makes him into more of a neutral character to me and BFA was kind of the nail on the head for that. Personally would rather see him run a neutral faction than for him to come back to the Horde as it is.

As for Sylvanas they kind of throw her under the bus like Garrosh, but this time they also throw the Horde under it as well ruining the expansion for Horde players.

I will have to side with Sylvanas this, mainly on a stance that I will no longer tolerate Horde being thrown under the bus for an expansion, and because if they do this two times then it wouldn’t be surprising if they did this a third time.

34 Likes

I was 100% behind Sylvanas and 100 % against Saurfang before the whole Afasiabi/Sylvanas ordered the Wrathgate thing.

Now I am 90% behind Sylvanas and still 100% against Saurfang. If given a choice - I would choose Anduin or Malganis over Saurfang.

Blizzard is not going to rewrite history to manipulate me into agreeing with Saurfang. Even if Sylvanas went back in time and killed Broxigar right before Sargeras was going to - I am getting sick of these retcons to bolster Saurfang.

I agree with Sylvanas’s stated in game goals. Until I see this interview actually implemented in game… I will carry on.

I still think Sylvanas Burning Teldrassil and luring the Alliance into a trap at Lordaeron did more to protect the Horde than Saurfang crying to Anduin and sitting in jail.

So basically, I went from a Sylvanas proponent to a player with simple distaste for the entire BfA story as a build up and retcon storm to bolster Saurfang.

Wasnt he pretty popular already? Did we need to change how his son died and make Sylvanas order it? They basically destroyed Saurfang and Sylvanas.

21 Likes

our queen knows de way! /click /click
sorry, im terrible.
:star::mage:

4 Likes

OP I share the exact same sentiment when it comes to the godawful writing. I’m paraphrasing Mal’ganis here when I speak to the writers “The harder you try to make us hate Sylvanas, the more you’ll drive us into her arms”. I’m just waiting for Alex to come out and say L I T E R A L L Y H I T L E R

22 Likes

Dawnsong, I think that you’re missing out on several viable and workable options:

• Outright refuse to the do the questline. This will probably come at the cost of Pathfinder

• Take the nude beach volleyball option if they actually have the stones to implement it. This one should really also be available for the Alliance

• Kill your sub. This is probably the most effective method, and if you’re fortunate you might even get one of those newfangled survey emails they seem to be sending out so you can tell them exactly what the problem is.

8 Likes

They don’t care. They are not going to look at people choosing Sylvanas and go “Wow they hate what we did to this character! We messed up!”. Instead if they see tons choose Sylvanas they will probably go “Wow we really succeeded! The fans of Sylvanas love her evil direction! They probably want more of it!”.

17 Likes

The Monkey’s Paw has been winning an awful lot lately.

7 Likes

It’s funny, because this is pretty much how I described the situation myself to someone else. I find myself increasingly unable to accept the story because it has devolved into open, hamfisted attempts at emotional manipulation, but they have nothing left to shock me with. Now I’m just digging in out of spite.

6 Likes

i would like to ask to horde players what would be the best possible outcome of this war?what they are expecting? (not win the war, that is impossible)
just don’t be a mop 2.0?

Basically. If I had my way, it would look like this:

Sylvanas goes ahead with her whole Derek plan, and it results in absolutely nothing. Realizing her position is precarious now, she plans a desperate attack on the Alliance somewhere. Not a huge attack like Dazar’alor, but something to turn the Alliance’s attention elsewhere, and in particular cause them to commit their navy to defending it, and buy the Horde a chance to get back in the game.

The expansion then continues in a series of increasingly bloody stalemates powered by more and more Azerite-fueled everything, culminating in a super-massive, extremely epic battle showcasing as much of each different race in each faction as is possible. Give everyone a chance to look cool. Magni is off to the side yelling at everybody about Azerite but no one is listening to him.

Finally, the overuse of Azerite causes something to go terribly wrong, triggering some kind of natural disaster that stops the fight and takes a heavy toll on both sides, forcing a retreat. Azerite is rapidly losing its potency, the Heart of Azeroth is unresponsive, and we’ve really screwed the pooch. Something has gone very wrong but no one exactly knows what, and in this window the Big Bad of 9.0 starts to make their move (it will probably be Old Gods or Naga or both, meh) and with both sides in a terrible state, this third party makes rapid gains.

After all this is over, Sylvanas pulls a Sylvanas and abdicates in the dead of night, just leaving note with Nathanos that she needs to do something only she can accomplish and needs to do it alone, leaving the Horde leaderless again. Saurfang can return with Thrall (who he had been looking for) and the process of choosing a new leader or even a new system of leadership can begin.

I am well aware this is a highly imperfect scenario (I am sure it will be a nonstarter because every Alliance player says that not getting to raidboss Sylv is unacceptable) but it’s what came to mind at the spur of the moment.

9 Likes

i think that we share the same dream, that would be INSANE! i would pay to see such a massive epic battle with every race possible flexing their muscles, and far better if we see our leaders in an epic showdown, i think that blizzard missed the chance to see an incredible naval battle with the end of the battle for dazarlazord, hopefully next time both fleets collide.

i like this.
is clear that sylvanas will survive this xpac, but at least we can get something good of this.

I’m not choosing either of them.

I’ll be waiting until the questline has an ending in a future patch and then I’ll make my choice on who to support or if I’ll continue to leave the questline undone.

2 Likes