Why so many armor sets look like robes?

Why do so many Paladin armor sets look like they are cloth robes with a few metal plates riveted on?

We are supposed to be wearing plate armor yet so many sets look nothing like that.

Sure if the artists want to give us surcoats, since the Tabards are a seperate thing, then that’s one thing but we have way too many sets that would look fine on a priest.

1 Like

I honestly thought the priest set was the paladin set when the first images showed up on wow head.

It has the red, gold, white and black from the Judgement set and was rocking pants with the pally looking wings.

I was soooo disappointed when the dress beside it was actually the pally set…

3 Likes

Agreed priest set is fantastic….

1 Like

The priest set is awesome, but our set is nice too. It’s just lacking a bit in the robe detail. Otherwise I think it’ll look great…except probably not on my cow body.

1 Like

Pally set looks lame to me. The priest set should have been the paladin set. Now the shaman trench coat is spot on.

3 Likes

I think the paladin set looks misplaced in the current pool of appearances because it looks washed out whereas every other set has saturated colours.

Compared to the priest set the our gold accents look weird.

I still don’t understand the robe thing either. Even holy plays a fast paced melee healer and so all 3 specs kinda feel out of place wearing a robe.

Like think about it, ret pallies going toe to toe wielding a big 2h, wearing a robe. It just seems so strange to me that a melee class would get a robe set.

Also why have they still not found a way to provide a pants variant?

2 Likes

They should try to find a way to do the Jedi robe thing so you can maintain the look to an extent, but have it attached to the chest piece so that you’re still wearing visible pants.

I love the Paladin Set, I just wish the Shoulders were more “Angelic” in appearance, but personally Paladins armored in Robes I like, sets us apart from other plate wearers.

1 Like

The pally set is actually pretty damn detailed. The glow on the shoulders I think should stand out more. I agree though, the priest set should have been the pally one easily. No idea why they gave it to priest when it doesn’t really fit thematically.

1 Like

At no point EVER will I be visibly S2 tier.
S1 tier I actually liked.

That leaves me with only 5 xmog I actually like for paladin:
Judgment
Demonsteel
Chosen Dead
DF S1
Human Heritage

I occasionally even wear xmog I don’t like just to have something different. This season has added two options, which really helps, but paladin still feels way behind on options I think look like class fantasy.

Once upon a time ago judgement came out and it was an absolute banger. Every once in a while they do the robe look over trying to recreate it to no avail.

1 Like

Yeah, 10.1 paladins got the priest mog, and priests got the paladin tier. Sad.

If you disagree, you are saying the Diablo Tyrael is a priest and not a crusader.
/Thread

4 Likes

This is two tiers in a row iirc.

I thought this paladin set was fantastic. I really love the holy warrior vibes I get from it. Especially the elite pvp and the normal raid set.

I think they are like that because they are priest warriors. but just my take. I personally like it.

Different strokes for different folks…I guess?

But I’ve hated the vast majority of WoW paladin tier. I want iconic crusader looks from culture. I want Diablo crusader looks. I want practical shoulders and classical crusader helms, not terrifying barbarian mask style helms and shoulders so big you’d never be able to turn your head or poke your eye out if you did. I want wings on my back, not my helm. I want plate pants, and sometimes long tabards to proclaim my faith, not robes.

Notice how the “robe” effect is always just a tabard or cloak, but the plate is still obvious on the legs? The robes on WoW paladins feel like a vestigial side-effect because the original art team didn’t have a way to animate this in the tabard or cloaks, I don’t know. Maybe they just wanted it to be in a tier slot and not a tabard/cloak. Either way, I want a solution, not just continuing to use robes 18 years later. If the split robes, like priest got this tier, is the only way, then do that.

1 Like

I love the robe style, I think if you equip some of the new robes with some older sets, you can get a very fitting Paladin theme.

However, I do think that the robe look only works well when used in combination with a belt that has some sort of a cloth attachment.

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

With that being said, I hope that they do come out with a robe set for Paladins, but this tier feels like it would have been to “bulky” or “top heavy” had they used a robe.

This tier just has pretty bad colors and the Elite PvP Set is an Alliance Blue, which feels off for my horde paladins. :smiley:

1 Like

Bro I am so jealous of your pro transmog skills.

but I personally love the elite pvp set just swapped to humie pally from tauren because sick of bad transmogs. so I love this new pvp set. any good transmog ideas involving the elite PVP set from this tier?

Taking 5 min for some screen shots, lol, idk what combinations of items I’ll use to make some sets as it will obviously change over time…

But when you look at this tier’s Helm, Shoulders, Chest and Gloves, you can really see that it’s hard to nail a good pair of pants/boots combo that doesn’t make it look quite silly. It’s a very top heavy set and maybe the robe wouldn’t have looked amazing on it. =/

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Awhile ago, they had some leaked weapon skins on the 10.1 PTR:

If you look at the Paladin skins:

This is clearly a Hammer made for Judgement, so hopefully in 10.1.5 we will see a full Tier 2 HD remake coming from a Mage Tower type challenge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like robes on paladin sets in general but I don’t really like the robe on our upcoming set. Judgment and most of the other sets that got robes can be passed off as ‘cleric’ looking sets, but this set specifically looks very aggressive and much closer to a diablo crusader type thing. The open robe that priests/druids/shamans got would have made way more sense here imo. Either that, or more detail towards the bottom of the robe or something, it looks a bit bland when the rest of the set is extremely detailed.

No? There was no robe with Vault tier. 9.3 tier looked really good, the robe i’m wearing from it now was a very well designed one and matched the theme of the set. The upcoming tier set robe doesn’t match the theme though, too aggressive of a set for a robe.