Why so anti alt?

Ok but I’m not a fan.

3 Likes

Why do players treat every alt like it’s their main character?

Seriously, I understand the grind on your main. Youre going to do whatever you can to make them stronger, but alts, why do that to yourself? it’s an alt. dont treat it like your main.

Cause I want to

3 Likes

guess you like burning yourself out too.

Blizzard itself isn’t anti alt Ion is.

1 Like

i quit trying because it sux. id prefer blizz make it easier for me to get my alts up to my main. until then, ill just not play until the new patches come out.

3 Likes

Gearing beyond 200ilvl is where the catch-up slows down but WoW is super alt-friendly right now. I honestly don’t understand the issue. Leveling got hit with the nerf bat so hard that you can cap in less than a week. As long as you’re actually doing things and not playing World of Capitolcraft renown is easy to catch up on which nets you a set of gear that is 197. Sounds like you guys want a private server like insta-cap with tier gear handed out.

4 Likes

Play FF14 and your main is your alts.

2 Likes

Pretty much

1 Like

Dude you are playing World of Warcraft!
You should work hard in this game like working, and don’t expect handOOOOOOOOOOOOuts!

3 Likes

Doubt they are anti alt. Just believe they don’t want alts to be all gear maxed in just a few days. And with all the allied races they added over the last 4 years, pretty sure they want folks playing alts on a regular basis. Just to many systems/ conduits, soulbinds, enemas, etc in Systemlands to keep up with for alts imo.

Two sides to this. Many people did not like it when the combined achievements and mounts. Taking away the individual feeling of each character. On the other hand with the size of the game and amount of stuff to do it was a good choice in my opinion.

Have we reached a point were more stuff needs to be share all with account? Not sure about the gear part but a unlimited matirerial storage that all characters on an account can share sounds good. The logging from one to another to mail it over is getting old. I think ESO has this feature. Would make sense with sheer amount of stuff in wow.

1 Like

I find it healthy that WoW has gearing differences from other MMORPGS. If you prefer the ESO system then play that game, you won’t hurt anyone by switching.

As for why Blizzard doesn’t let you share loot? I believe they were originally praised for gear mattering in classic and the fact you could progress a character. WoW is still built on that idea that each character is distinct and you can progress them.

/shrug it aint for everybody.

I suspect they aren’t anti-alt so much as they are pro time played metrics.

:cookie:

5 Likes

There is only really one system in SL that is alt unfriendly and that is soul ash. The valor system lets you share the ilvl upgrade across all your characters, thus your alts benefit from you main unlocking the 210 and 220 upgrades for them. All the other systems have a catch up mechanic or a floating cap that allows you to catch up quickly.

What they don’t have is an “I want to have 10 mains” system.

1 Like

You think you want alts, but you really don’t.
-Blizzard

2 Likes

How is shadowlands not Alt friendly? There is no AP grind for player power like in Legion or BFA. Questing through the covenant campaign nets you a full set of 197 gear and upon completion a raid finder quality weapon of your choice.

The quests that are tied to player power are weekly quests that could be completed in an evening if you really wanted to.

How is this not Alt friendly??

3 Likes

Blizzard have always seemed to regard alts as one of those weird things the player base have that they, the devs, kind of wish would go away.

Or… maybe that’s wrong but they tend to see alts as ‘cheating’. E.g. you use one to feed stuff to your main. Hence them squashing loot transfers (fair) but also odder things like obscure rep.

I’m not really sure why - like a lot of things in WoW development the team is VERY tight lipped and never break ranks as to why some decisions are enforced so heavily. My guess? I suspect the people at the top grew up playing Everquest etc and feel that’s the playstyle they want to encourage. One main character that you pour your time into or bust.

In SL it’s been a pain; not for gearing (which doesn’t take TOO long) but for things like Soul Conduits, Renown, having to do the tedious early campaign bouncing in and out of the Maw but mainly Anima which we remain brutally starved of.

1 Like

I consider SL to be very alt friendly. Catch up is fast and easy. Torghast upgrades all unlocked account wide. If anything, there is not enough content to keep me satisfied playing 1 char.

It’s pretty simple really. Every time they inch the game towards more alt friendly-ness, or convenience on alts, a huge crowd of classic andy types comes out screaming about “waaah alts shouldnt be handed free gear or catchup and gearing should be hard and you should have to play one character only and it should take you months and months and months and months waaaa”

And then blizz thinks that voice counts for the majority, because they scream the loudest.

3 Likes