Why Sethrak Won't Be Playable

Void Elves came out of nowhere and suddenly became playable despite never being in the Legion story until after the events, so I feel for Sethrak it’s the same case as the broken: actually relevant to the expansion content but for one reason or another, aren’t made playable.

The Void Elves would like to have a word with you.

3 Likes

Sethrak heads really aren’t all that different from female tauren, both of them are pretty flat and wide. Plop the helmet on the head and leave the hood unarmored just like the NPCs already do. Would most helmets look a little silly? Sure. Is it worth shooting down the idea over an armor slot we’ve been able to hide since vanilla? Nah.

Or, you know, just hide helmets and give sethrak a nice selection of head ornamentation (and racially exclusive helmets) and call it a day. The NPCs have some good looking gear already, just polish those up a bit and add a few more variations and you’re done.

1 Like

Never say Never.

1 Like

that’s true, and at least sethrak exist already.

2 Likes

They remind me of the Drauk from Ever Oasis, so they could wear helmets like this:

6 Likes

… that is pretty damn awesome. I love the eyes and Egyptian feel of the overall design.

Actually, there is a female Sethrak model already for Sethralis. The differences are subtle but the model has been modified, with her waist, hips, and chest slightly tweaked. It would work just fine, after they do the updates needed to make both models fully playable.

Over in the Unofficial Sethrak Megathread there’s answers for plenty of possible issues with the race, including the helms. The only real problem is their lack of involvement with the current story (as far as we know it yet).

2 Likes

I’m aware of Sethraliss’ model but I more meant for normal sethrak soldiers/citizens. It’d feel kind of weird for the female model to look just like the avatar of their loa, but I suppose it could be the other way around and Sethraliss chose to make her avatar look like a female sethrakk.

Can we have Cat People and Arakkoa then for the Alliance?

This was debunked almost a year ago, Sethrak use the Worgen skeleton and helmets fit just fine on their head. It looks a bit odd because they have such a large neck, but it still works fine.

1 Like

I mean it’s not like she’s got extra arms or anything. It’s just a male Sethrak with the dimensions slightly altered. The only other difference is her hood horns, which can be easily removed (or hell, just leave em on and let the ladies have the fancy headgear this time).

1 Like

We also haven’t had a race that was reptilian yet. Reptiles have few visible distinctions between genders, so a simple case of females being larger or having more colorful skin patterns would suffice. They absolutely should NOT have boobs, because that is a mammalian characteristic.

You’re preaching to the choir, but I worry that’s the main reason against them ever being playable. Like it or not, a lot of, if not most, players want their characters to be “sexy”.

My point was, if that’s the “female sethrak” model and not specifically a model for Sethraliss, it seems odd that female sethrakk NPCs don’t use it(with the fancy doodads removed). Because female sethrakk NPCs already exist but they share a model with the males. If they intended on making them playable, it seems they would have given the female NPCs that model too.

1 Like

Sethraliss’s model is representative of what a female sethrak is supposed to look like minus the horns. Vessina in Hearthstone reinforces that design. The short of it is female sethrak have a subtly more feminine figure, a slightly smoother chest, and most importantly they lack the rattle that male sethrak are depicted with.

It reminds me a lot of charr in Guild Wars 2, how female charr had fluffy tails and the male charr had lion tufts at the end of theirs. I like it a lot, personally, but I’m all for dimorphism that isn’t just, “big, burly male and thin, hourglass female.”

You mean they’re just female worgen, so only the helmets would be an issue?

Fair, but if they’ve meant to make them playable at some point all along then they could be holding off on any kind of big NPC update until the models are finished. There was also all the early datamining on Vulpera animations and customizations that exploded and made Blizzard warn everyone that it didn’t mean they’re going to be playable necessarily. They got a lot more guarded and locked down with their PTR information after that, so they could be waiting on updating models to avoid tipping their hand too early.

All speculation, of course.

Blizzard: “We swear they won’t be playable! We gave them more customizations than some base races, we based them on the goblin rig. We gave them custom animations, and cape-geometry. But they won’t be playable we swear!”

2 Likes

For anyone genuinely curious, feel free to swing by the Megathread. Plenty of good speculation and fan work on them, including mockups of how helms would work and female customizations.

2 Likes

worgen heads are weird.