Why open with garrote instead of cheap shot?

Shouldn’t it be cheap shot to stun them first? Unless it’s a boss and they are immune to stun anyway?

Depends on weapons and spec. If I use daggers I open with Ambush but I’m also specking that way (Specking the correct spelling?).

I believe they say Garotte but that’s only if its a boss imho. Without a dagger build lets say swords or mace I would open with cheapshot and backstab like a madman, gouge and do it some more from behind

1 Like

because garrote hurts and cheap shot doesn’t

5 Likes

Well if you’re running Subterfuge (which is probably the best talent in the level 30 row imo) then your Garrote deals 80% increased damage when you open up from stealth and doesn’t put it on cool down. You can get 3 of these off, which is good for running dungeons at lower levels because assassination doesn’t get any AoE until 60 something I believe.

As far pvp goes, opening with Garrote is situational in lower brackets. Targets with high armor would benefit more from opening up with Garrote because the bleed damage ignores their armor value, but something like a mage or hunter would benefit more from cheap shot because you lock them down and potentially make them use a cool down to get away from you.

2 Likes

Assuming PvE since you mention bosses… always open with garrote. You only use a stun if you need to interrupt something and kick is on cd, otherwise you’re just building stun DR for no point and wasting potential damage.

2 Likes

I generally open with garrote then Immediately cheap shot while subterfuge is still up.

Because 1. garrote procs venomous wounds which helps you sustain

1. Garrote deals damage as well as silences for 6 seconds if used from stealth

2. You can end up going over 5 combo points more frequently if you use cheap shot in opener

3. Cheap shot shares DR with kidney which is a far better stun

2 Likes

garrote is almost always better on mages

1 Like

You’d be surprised how many mages will panic and trinket, but if they aren’t running shimmer, then yes you are correct. I’ll still open with Cheapshot then Garrote for the stun and silence.

Most people have Shrouded Suffocation, making it give 3 combo points. You can just double garrote into Rupture or KS and be fine

2 Likes

My pvp opener is usually garrote - cheap shot - garrote - kidney shot(if they trinket CS).

With shrouded suffocation you should be able to get 3 stealth openers out, 4 if you have a lot of haste.

Cheap shot is one of my least used abilities because it DR’s kidney shot. DR’s are 18 seconds long and kidney has a 20 second cooldown… if all you use is kidney, then you’re guaranteed full 6-second kidneys every time.

I use it on rare occasion if I have so little faith in my opponent that I suspect he’ll blow a trinket on it. That, or if I need an emergency peel from stealth and I have no combo points.

1 Like

PvE Trash: Garrote - Rupture - CS - Envenom - dead mob

PvE Boss: Garrote - Muti- Rupture - continue on

PvP Casters: Garrote - Muti - Rupture —- I run with Iron Wire so the silence is even longer, and as long as I can stick to them, I can rebuild up to my 5CP for a full fledged KS

PvP Melee: Garrote - Muti - KS - go to town

But this is just me, and I don’t play PvP seriously.

Cheap shot is good, you get that 4s delay. Then apply bleeds and DPS down.