Why only 4 launch zones these days

Says who? Who says you get to define what a ‘zone’ is w.r.t WoW?

The Maw is a zone just as much as Tol Barad (the pvp one) is. Or Wintergrasp.

1 Like

I think the real point of this is that they have to develop less theming and art to fit a certain place. And they have taken a sharp left turn into a new whacky puzzle treasure chest rare zone instead of in Wrath where things shifted to Icecrown, as an example. It’s just lazy and uninteresting.

Do I think about this much though? not really, but when I do this is what I think about.

2 Likes

im excited for midnight, old world revamp

BFA should be the model. Factions are separated and, in a perfect world, you can start in any zone.

1 Like

Each Dragonflight zone is sizeable/dense enough that they could have been subdivided into two zones and they still would have stood out on their own, except maybe for Thaldraszus.

Hell, Azure Span could probably be split into three zones (snowy highlands, azure forest, brackenhide) and it would probably still work.

1 Like

We also launch with 8 dungeons these days, that seems kind of small considering classic had maybe 16, some with like 10 bosses. In 2006 by the way!

8, you forgot Ashran. And yes if we are counting Wintergrasp for Wrath and Tol Barad for Cata, you have to include Ashran.

the size of the wow team grew 500% but the amount of content shrank 60%

2 Likes

Then why are you counting half the zones in TBC? Or the maelstrom?

Just because you don’t like the aesthetic doesn’t mean it’s not a zone.

The main reason maw sucked is because we couldn’t use mounts. Once you could mount it was fine. Not good, not even top 15. But fine.

1 Like

Idk why but I imagine it’s because we get more non-launch zones

im just counting what i see on the map

And yet you admitted to not do that. You have excluded so many zones because “I don’t like them”.

I’m confused here.

I think you mean to make a statement akin to quantity doesn’t equal quality?

nah cause if its big and on the map i counted it

Basically.

In previous expansions we got more zones sure, but a lot of it was just empty space for one reason or another. Crystalsong Forest is the key example. Outside of Dalaran you only go there for like 2 quests that are tied to Icecrown. Although that was more so due to how much of a server hog Dalaran was.

So a zone has to be of a certain size now? I thought it had to have different types of Flora.

Why do you keep arguing in bad faith?

1 Like

are you being intentionally obtuse

Sometimes that empty space is important to create a meaningful gaming experience. Obviously it’s subjective, but having crystal song as a border land added to the isolation that is Icecrown. It wasn’t right on top of another zone - for the most part.

The expert use of spacing can be really nice.

According to Blizzard this Revamp is Continent by Continent…

Quel’Thalas is it’s own Continent as far as Blizzard is concerned. Blizzard also stated it will be making the revamped Zones larger to accommodate Dynamic Flying.

Yes you should expect a Lordaeron Expansion for Humans(Undead included with one Zone for Wildhammer), a Khaz Modan Expansion for Dwarves, a Northern Kalimdor Expansion for Night Elves, a Central Kalimdor Expansion for the Horde, an Azeroth Expansion for WarCraft Orcs and Humans revisited, a Southern Kalimdor Expansion for Ahn’Qiraj revisited and an Outland Expansion.

Not at all. You previously said you did not count the maw for Shadowlands because and I quote,

To which the maw did not. And now you say you only counted those that were big on the map? How big are we talking? I mean you counted both Tol Barad zones for Cata and they are TINY on the Eastern Kingdoms map.

well to be fair i googled the zones for cata and it said they added 7