Why Moonkin? (Form)

Why do spellcaster druids change into a Moonkin. It really bothers me when I play balance, I don’t get it, why do I need to turn into a fat chicken? Does anyone know any lore reason or logic why a Moonkin would be so special for druids or ‘balance’ of nature. They just seam like dumb beasts, we slew hundreds of them throughout the expansions.

In warcraft 3 the two nightelf heroes with druid powers were

Priestess of the Moon had starfall, was a normal female nightelf, no shapeshifting
Keeper of the Grove Had Entangling Roots, Thorns, Tranquality. The keeper looked like Cenarius, some nature spirit Loa or Ancient - more like a centar than an owlbeast.

Maybe I missed something but I don’t recall anything regarding the signifigance of the Moonkin, or why druids would have to change into one in order to gain power over the balance of nature.

My main gripe is that they look ridiculous and they obscure transmog. Astral Form exists I know, but not really a fan of that either. There has to be a better option. Maybe a glyph to just hide the Moonkin form all together? (just appear non-shifted) Maybe a Keeper of the Grove / Centar glyph? Maybe a Dryad glyph? Those would make more sense than Moonkin…

This is the expansion where they listen to the players after all :smiley:

Other classes are getting more options (warlock race example) lets give the player the option to RP their fav spellcaster druid form!

Thx bye

Just buy the glyph, its like 5g

1 Like

I dont want to be star-man. I would like to see new nature option like dryad or keeper

Well my reasoning is that the owlbeasts in the hinterlands can do moonfire, and since druids morph into animals to do stuff (bear for tanking, cat for dps, tree for healing) they turn into an owlbeast to do Balance-related spells.

I’m with you though, I wish we could just stay in caster form and remove the blue glow from the glyph (with the option of leaving it in for the people who actually like the glyph).

Heres some lore I found on Wildkin: https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Wildkin#Owlkin

1 Like

The lore is that Moonkins are creatures favored of Elune as guardians of her shrines. It makes sense that the baseline Balance form is the moonkin…

however.

That should not impede the implementation of different shapeshifts that also deal with nature and astral magic. Or even better looking moonkins.

Glyph of Stars is a nice addition, and it is what I use, but… I don’t know, I think it could be improved. The transparency makes no sense - what being ghostly it has to do with nature/astral magic?

This could be a cool overlay for the Glyph of Stars (or a variation of it) instead:

3 Likes

That would be sick, ngl.

original glyph of stars: https://www.wowhead.com/item=44922/glyph-of-stars#screenshots:id=300425

updated glyph of stars: https://www.wowhead.com/item=44922/glyph-of-stars#screenshots:id=1035049

the updated version looks like a blue popsickle

2 Likes

Maybe the goal was to make it as distinct as possible from caster form while showing your equipment… But it missed the mark, honestly.

IIRC this update was around WoD? :thinking: We have a lot of improved overlay effects nowadays that can give something much better.

I think Moomkin can work… but honestly it only works for night elves.

I really think the Zandalar and Kul’Tiran balance forms are cool. We should get more unique forms for worgen, tauren, HM.

But if I play a Zand druid, I feel out of place because everything is so cenarian and elune and dreamy.

It would be great if it was a cosmetic option like the treant form. I want to see my transmog.

More options would be nice. I would like to see something like malfurian. Maybe some feathers under the arms, feet claws, etc.

Honestly it amazes me that in a game with so much emphasis on gear/mog collection, we’re still stuck with either moonchicken or blue sprinkles.

Even if they just gave us some varied armored moonkin forms, I’d be happy.

2 Likes

Maybe like barbershop customization for different armor. I kind of like the look of Incarnation moonkin form. Perhaps caster form can work and only time you go chicken is when you pop incarn.

This is even more likely now that they have a system in for evoker. Would be a nice addition.

Honestly I would have been fine with the Scythe of Elune in legion having just 1 appearance, like the Claws of Ursoc, if it meant that we would have different moonkin variations.

I vastly preferred the original Glyph of Stars. I have no idea why they changed it to the stupid blue color.

1 Like

The last thing wow has ever needed is more boomkins. One of the most overplayed specs in at least one patch of every single xpac.

Personally hope it remains on the bottom of the priority list.

So if you use the toy called Heartsbane Grimoire, it makes glyph of stars have an interesting effect. Basically, it places the grimoire overlay on top of the star fall overlay. but you have you transform into moonkin form first, then use the toy.

Heartsbane Grimoire lasts for 1 hour and has no cooldown. it’s not perfect, but it is better in my opinion.

don’t know how to link a picture of the effect, but here’s a link to the grimoire:
Heartsbane Grimoire - Item - World of Warcraft (wowhead.com)

Edit: Doesn’t seem to stick when changing forms. have to cancel Heartsbane Grimoire effect then recast Heartsbane Grimoire toy when going back to moonkin. Same for using mounts too. Too bad because it’s a really nice effect. :frowning:

Agreed. No to chicken, no to stargirl. Just let me be in my normal mog without silly forced visual changes dammit…

This is literally the only thing stoping me from maining Balance

1 Like