Why its hard to take SoM seriously

Jesus, where to begin? I mean right off the bat the majority of the changes were targeted to specifically prevent mage boosting as opposed to making the leveling experience more unique or different, and it accomplished almost nothing. Then, with the sped up timeline, MC and Prebis farming has become irrelevant, most 50-60 dungeons and the entirety of t1 are invalidated between DM being baseline, and the existence of free r10+ gear (which btw you messed up three times) however, despite the ease of early ranking you still managed to create a toxic sweat fest for r14, all over again, regurgitating the same “terrible” system you yourselves condemned, while doing nothing to change ranking in a positive manner, instead you just nerf pool party viability, and actively encourage the literal hellscape that is the r14 grind (trust me i’ve done it 4 times now).

Why even play, its not a season of mastery, its a season of time sink. Leveling > pvp grind with AV being the only current popping BG, its just time, there is no skill, no challenge, its time, nothing has changed, its simply play 127 hours a week, and invalidate tier 1-5

That said, I do think ranking should be “easier” but keep to release schedules, pvp and DM being out before MC / BWL is a meme, to be frank it wouldnt even matter if HWL / Grand Marshal gear was free, so long as you gated it better, having that and dire maul instantly doable gives people 0 incentive to dungeon, or raid till at least BWl and in some cases AQ

Pretty much every SoM change was the opposite of QoL, for no reason. It seems like every time people adjusted to the unforgiving nature of classic, you killed it, but never addressed anything wrong with your own sh1t game, you just punished players for abusing in game mechanics

20 Likes

Isn’t mage boosting still working just fine?

I know I did a few SM with 4 mages and neither mob was immune to any root or gets a speed boost. You just breezed through the whole dungeon as the mobs got aoed down.

Also Im really not a quick leveler, so I assume others did that to get to 60 fast before me.

So, mob kills dont yield more exp, so 4x Mage 1x priest dungeon leveling is still viable, but also not as comparably fast to questing, its really more that they nerfed ever solo class gold farm (lock / mage / hunter / rogue farms) and then added additional level restrictions on dungeon party leveling.

Most of these changes were well intentioned, but the practicality is bad, for example some dungeons like SFK are suggested level 22-30, but if you have a level 22, in the dungeon with a level 30, due to level differences mobs will reward 8 exp instead of the normal 90-110 or what have you, which was made to reduce boosting, but also ruined normal dungeon grouping for selective instances.

(for the record I play hunter this time around and agree mages needed changes cause it was borderline absurd in classic)

1 Like

this easy mode pvp gear is gonna be the death of SoM, no doubt about it. that female orc poster said SoM will die in about 4 months, and I think it’s true. I’ll still try to enjoy it till then…

6 Likes

Im fine with easymode pvp gear, just not pre MC, where it ends up invalidating an entire tier, at least BWL gear is either better or competitive for PvE content when compared to r14, especially with changes to debuff limit, stuff like hunter t2 is going to be bonkers

1 Like

The difficulty of people clearing MC regularly isn’t happening…

Why would they when they could Av tho? MC gives crap loot by comparison. Even rep rewards are better or MC adjacent.

1 Like

the enthusiasm is definitely low…

3 Likes

Thats my point though, how is it nerfed? Granted im only 40, but so far every dungeon i did had none of the anti-solo farm caveats they promised in em.

No immunity to snares/novas etc… no speed boosts either.

Re read the patch notes

1 Like

oh cool another thing that didn’t work despite a beta. Well does it work now or not?

They mean 1 mage doing zf or mara. Not 4 mages of the appropriate level running in a group. 1 mage can’t kill the mobs fast enough for the snares to kick in. Also, if you’re being boosted by a 60 you get like 10xp a kill. You’re confusing a spell cleave group with one mage boosting characters who are afk or farming on their own.

5 Likes

great post

I hope Blizzard values your input and becomes a better company

I’ve got a house on the moon if anyone is interested

2 Likes

you know how hard it is to rank with all the extra guards in AV now?

they are… scary

1 Like

as soon as people finish out rep and more people hit 60 meta will shift to AB

1 Like

Yeah honestly was hyped but seeing how blizz failed so badly makes me not wanna play

have people forgotten that SoM was supposed to be all about raids like MC being harder and enjoying the challenge? well that ain’t happening with easy mode AQ40 level pvp gear being handed out like candy

this is just another example of a “minor change” people whined for having huge, unforeseen consequences, resulting in a worse game overall. sigh.

12 Likes

It’s almost as if Classic was fine how it was and children thinking the grass is greener.

SoM is for the crowd that plays fun servers with instant 60, all gear, etc…not an actual server.

9 Likes

The whole season is definitely poorly thought out. The leveling changes are comically minor and making the grind way too long for such a short season. I had one friend quit, one decided not to bother after seeing how slow it was, and another who is so far behind because he isn’t having any fun leveling again in the same slow system just to play for 11 months after.

I’m glad ranking is faster but they should have just halved decay and kept the same rate for going up, would have slowed down people getting insane gear too early an allowed more casual players later on a chance to achieve epic pvp ranks.

As for MC, I don’t know why blizzard thought anyone wanted harder entry level raid content. You know why classic was so popular? Cause you could casually play with friends not taking it too serious and still clear everything. It got a lot less fun when it came to naxx and you had to start making tough decisions on who you wanted to keep playing with if you wanted to clear content. Now to have that happen in the first raid? Huge turn off to where I just won’t even bother raiding.

14 Likes

I don’t try to take SoM seriously.

I’m too busy playing SoM and having a blast.

8 Likes